Post-Game Talk: 2017-18 Around the League Thread | Luca Sbisa, Stanley Cup Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Flames will never win with that core and their ownership is just as stubborn as ours so its not like they will rebuild either. they will be stuck in the 10-20 draft pick order range of mediocrity... not like it matters this year anyway :laugh:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Canucks fans laughing at Flames is pretty funny. It should be going the other way. That's a team that actually succeeded at their goal of being competitive and is still playing meaningful games in late March.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Canucks fans laughing at Flames is pretty funny. It should be going the other way. That's a team that actually succeeded at their goal of being competitive and is still playing meaningful games in late March.

Oh don't get us wrong, I think they are a much better team than us with some excellent young players and some nice prospects. We are an absolute dumpster fire and sometimes we need to be able to laugh at our rivals to make it through the end of yet another bleak season. It's a coping mechanism.

Reactions: Caspian

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Oh don't get us wrong, I think they are a much better team than us with some excellent young players and some nice prospects. We are an absolute dumpster fire and sometimes we need to be able to laugh at our rivals to make it through the end of yet another bleak season. It's a coping mechanism.
Who are these flames prospects? A couple dmen that may play but Dillion Dube is their 2nd ranked prospect. I do like their team makeup though. They have a lot of nice pieces. Think Burke has made some recent mistakes trading good assets for Lasar and Hamonic.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

If teams are playing to just be "competitive" then yeah, I am laughing. There was a lot more expected of the Flames than to be on the brink of not making the playoffs. We were told over and over they have the best defense in the league.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If teams are playing to just be "competitive" then yeah, I am laughing. There was a lot more expected of the Flames than to be on the brink of not making the playoffs. We were told over and over they have the best defense in the league.
Probably the best top 4 in the league...A lot of peeps expected way more out the Flames,but they just seem to appear to be a team thats stuck on the wheel of mediocrity...Not good enough to make a dent in the playoffs,and too good to tank.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Who are these flames prospects? A couple dmen that may play but Dillion Dube is their 2nd ranked prospect. I do like their team makeup though. They have a lot of nice pieces. Think Burke has made some recent mistakes trading good assets for Lasar and Hamonic.
Valimaki is a better prospect than ANY of our d prospects

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Andersson, Fox, Kylington, Valimaki, Dube, a handful of guys like Matthew Phillips and Andrew Mangiapane who have absolutely torn up the CHL (the latter is more than PPG at AHL level).

For a team that has traded away a ton of 1sts/2nds for Hamilton and Hamonic, and a team whose 2016 1st is already in their lineup instead of a prospect, it's pretty good. Especially that back end which makes our pool of D prospects look absolutely shameful.

member 290103

I'd be with you there if they did not do something so dumb as to trade an unprotected 1st round pick this year for Travis Hamonic. If their pick wins the lottery this would go down as one of the worst moves ever.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Andersson, Fox, Kylington, Valimaki, Dube, a handful of guys like Matthew Phillips and Andrew Mangiapane who have absolutely torn up the CHL (the latter is more than PPG at AHL level).

For a team that has traded away a ton of 1sts/2nds for Hamilton and Hamonic, and a team whose 2016 1st is already in their lineup instead of a prospect, it's pretty good. Especially that back end which makes our pool of D prospects look absolutely shameful.

Hmm it is not very good. They have some d prospects yes. Anderson yes. Maybe it is okay considering your other points.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
A mediocre team with a bunch of overrated players except Gaudreau and Tkachuk, fighting for its playoffs life at the late of the season with no first round round pick as saving rope.
Yeah, I’m laughing at that.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Is it surprising that the Benning Haters are defending the Flames?

Clockwork

Its going to be pure gold seeing the Islanders making a lottery pick with the Flames 1st overall and then follow that up with the Flames 2nd.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Both teams should probably be laughing at eachother. Edmonton can join the party any time.

We get that we suck and at this point everything's just hilarious.

Last edited:

just22

Aug 2, 2009

When a "rival" team is likely to miss the playoffs and wont be picking in the first and second round of the draft, you bet your ass I would find it funny.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Flames will never win with that core and their ownership is just as stubborn as ours so its not like they will rebuild either. they will be stuck in the 10-20 draft pick order range of mediocrity... not like it matters this year anyway :laugh:
Not sure they need to rebuild, they have a lot of good parts, they just need to add more and I think they should be able to through trade or UFA and they need a real goalie.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Mike smith has been pretty solid this year... definitely not the reason why theyre on the brink of missing the playoffs

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Not sure they need to rebuild, they have a lot of good parts, they just need to add more and I think they should be able to through trade or UFA and they need a real goalie.
There are no other options as far as they're concerned...I'd say its a given that next years Flames are going to look very much like this years....All they will do is shuffle some bottom six forwards around.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
But I mean, exactly that was the Canucks' goal too. I wasn't arguing whether this "mediocrity" strategy is the way to go or not. My point was that these two teams tried to do the same thing, Flames succeeded and the Canucks didn't. In the best case scenario, had Benning actually accomplished what he wanted to do (including probably trading the Boeser pick for Lucic), Canucks would be where Flames are now. So any laughter you have should be targeted at the Canucks. If something is left (there shouldn't), then laugh at the Flames. But yeah, fair enough on that being a coping mechanism.

What comes to Flames, I'd also argue that the sheer quality in Western Conference is really high this season. 3 good and truly competitive teams are going to miss the playoffs this season. I don't see it that they were supposed to be there with Nashvilles and Winnipegs this season, and the rest of it is fairly even. Realistically, I don't see this season as a huge disappointment for them.

For the record, I don't mind where the Flames are. I think people on HFBoards live in a bit twisted world of hockey where anything but the Cup and 1st overall pick is a massive failure. I believe a team being competitive and playing meaningful games in March/April (including those "first round exit" teams) has lots of value and is a good thing for the vast majority of people following and being around that team. Also, as long as that kind of team is run correctly, nothing will stop it from taking the next step. Nashville being a very good example of that. They've been a competitive team for a long time now and took the next step by great drafting and incredibly shrewd managerial moves.

I do agree that not having that 1st rounder top 5 (or 10, whatever) protected was a huge oversight. That should be a given in every trade nowadays because any non-playoff team can win the lottery. But there's still only tiny percentage chance it's going to cost you.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

It's not that we think we're in a better spot, it's that we're happy we're at the bottom together :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->