Post-Game Talk: 2017-18 Around the League Thread | Luca Sbisa, Stanley Cup Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
He has been terrible this season.

If he plays like last year then you have a case here.
Erik Karlsson is still Erik Karlsson, I don’t care what ~50 games of data says adding him makes Tampa Bay by far the best team in the NHL and one of the best post cap teams ever.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Erik Karlsson is still Erik Karlsson, I don’t care what ~50 games of data says adding him makes Tampa Bay by far the best team in the NHL and one of the best post cap teams ever.

On paper sure but one thing I learned is to never bet against those pesky pens. Not with two generational players and an elite Rwer with success on that team along with their abundance of experience.

Besides its all hypothetical since I dont see Karlsson playing for the lightning. YMMV

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
On paper sure but one thing I learned is to never bet against those pesky pens. Not with two generational players and an elite Rwer with success on that team along with their abundance of experience.

Besides its all hypothetical since I dont see Karlsson playing for the lightning. YMMV
Pittsburgh is my second favourite team, I know what you mean. But I’d put money on Tampa winning the cup with Karlsson, they would be Golden State level stacked.

If Tampa is able to bring in another top 4 defender not even Karlsson I see them winning it all this year. Tampa was my pick to win the cup before the year even started, fwiw.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Pittsburgh is my second favourite team, I know what you mean. But I’d put money on Tampa winning the cup with Karlsson, they would be Golden State level stacked.

If Tampa is able to bring in another top 4 defender not even Karlsson I see them winning it all this year. Tampa was my pick to win the cup before the year even started, fwiw.

Stamkos needs to up his game and needs to be fully healthy. Kucherov has always been a great performer.

Tbay is a world class team indeed. Im still skeptical about them winning a cup though. With that said they have been built the right way. Kudos to Yzerman and their pro-scouting team.

Should be interesting to see the two teams play in action. Officiating better be even.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I was at this game last night. It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. Vegas is the most hockey mad city I've ever seen. Everywhere you look is hockey fans and Knights logos and every TV in town has hockey on. Walking the strip, you see different people sporting every team's jersey.

The game was the best live experience I've ever had. The Knights hired WWE's production guy to do their production. So it's just a three hour bad ass tribute to hockey. It's the absolute best thing I've ever gone to.

All of you need to go to a game in Vegas, it will absolutely blow your mind. If you love hockey and have the money, there's no excuse not to go. Especially now that the Knights are favored to win the Cup this year.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Isn't he the one a lot of fans wanted instead of Tryamkin right?

Yep. Played in WHL so our fans would have a lot more access to him than other players. High skill, plays all situations. Again, size doesn't matter. Remember that MS was very high on Point and on signing Jonathan Marchessault, the latter being a no brainer low risk move.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yep. Played in WHL so our fans would have a lot more access to him than other players. High skill, plays all situations. Again, size doesn't matter. Remember that MS was very high on Point and on signing Jonathan Marchessault, the latter being a no brainer low risk move.

MS was also saying Yanni Gourde was someone we should target last off season, wasn't he?

We should get that man a job with the Canucks.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
MS was also saying Yanni Gourde was someone we should target last off season, wasn't he?

Legitimately though, if the Canucks made moves based on what MS and a few others like Burke's Evil Spirit and feebster have been saying with no hindsight at all, the team would be in a significantly better position.

Someone should make a Twitter account where a few people can just post consensus ideas discussed here that are generally agreed upon (ie. Point was a board consensus here, along with Ivan Barbashev). If the track record over the next few years is as good as it's been for the past few...who knows, maybe MS or someone else here could be the Canucks very own Computer Boys.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Yep, he was citing Gourde as the next JAM-type signing (high upside skill player, low risk).

It's really funny when a rebuttal to Benning being bad is "oh so you think you're better than a guy who has been in hockey for 25 years?" and the answer is that yeah....some posters on here would legitimately be better than Benning in several aspects of the job.

Reactions: geebaan

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yep, he was citing Gourde as the next JAM-type signing (high upside skill player, low risk).

It's really funny when a rebuttal to Benning being bad is "oh so you think you're better than a guy who has been in hockey for 25 years?" and the answer is that yeah....some posters on here would legitimately be better than Benning in several aspects of the job.

This is really the key.

Given their track records over years of posting, I trust multiple posters here to be better scouts and evaluators of talent than the average NHL GM. But where a HF Superteam would fall apart is probably on the administration side of things. And that's a really difficult aspect of the job. Sometimes we forget that the Canucks are an $800M (USD) organization. They're worth over a billion CDN!

Posters here will never be able to replace legitimate aspects of a general manager's job that involve executive leadership in a massive, massive company. Unless we have some public company CEO's that post here or something. But paired with a Ken Holland type, I think there would be something there.

Thing is, that aspect of the job might be what Jim Benning is worst at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->