Post-Game Talk: 2017-18 Around the League Thread | Luca Sbisa, Stanley Cup Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Great hire for the leafs. Gilman is a smart dude who can navigate the cap really well and has a good hockey mind.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

:laugh: I wonder how long it'll be until his first incident in San Jose

I think he has a bit of a point.

Not to dismiss or downplay any of his prior allegations, but uh, the NHL isn't exactly the model organization for helping mentor players who grow up differently from the normative from-the-prairies-live-on-the-rink-pops-built mold.

Which is a huge reason why I wouldn't want him anywhere near this organization post-Sedin. But happy to hear he's found a fit in San Jose, and hopefully it's a positive situation for the player and the team, especially off-ice. The contract is quite bad though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, some crazy turnaround in management.
I like the hire for contract/cap stuff, but I am unsure about it on player aquisition/development side of things. Can anyone in here chime in on how Gilman is with those things, or did he not do any of that in VAN?

Gilman mainly this contract guy. Under his tenure with the Canucks, there were not many good young players acquired or developed. Mainly just tanev as the big fish.

He did hand out a lot of ntc clauses but right now in Toronto the key youngsters are not eligible to have them until their fulfill their RFA years so those won’t kick in for a while.

Reactions: AppsSyl

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I think he has a bit of a point.

Not to dismiss or downplay any of his prior allegations, but uh, the NHL isn't exactly the model organization for helping mentor players who grow up differently from the normative from-the-prairies-live-on-the-rink-pops-built mold.

Which is a huge reason why I wouldn't want him anywhere near this organization post-Sedin. But happy to hear he's found a fit in San Jose, and hopefully it's a positive situation for the player and the team, especially off-ice. The contract is quite bad though.

i don't like e kane's chances long term on the team that let devin setoguchi's life turn to absolute crap.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Gilman mainly this contract guy. Under his tenure with the Canucks, there were not many good young players acquired or developed. Mainly just tanev as the big fish.

He did hand out a lot of ntc clauses but right now in Toronto the key youngsters are not eligible to have them until their fulfill their RFA years so those won’t kick in for a while.

it looks like in toronto he's not going to be the capologist. they already have one, and that other guy also has an AGM title.

from what i'm reading, gilman will take over player development and be in charge of the farm.

i'm not sure how responsible he was for our farm when he was here, but as brilliant as he was at contracts, player development wasn't exactly a big success during the gillis/gilman era.

on the radio a few weeks ago, gilman did say that after AV called out hodgson for not really being injured, he had to get on a plane and go to a different city to put out that fire. so i guess prospects must have been at least partially part of his job here.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
This is unfortunately a very fair point.

It also extends to my point; the NHL and it's teams are not the gold standard for organizations that employers should strive be like.

and re: SJ specifically, unlike some teams/cultures like yzerman's red wings for example, surfer joe doesn't exactly scream "moulder of mature, upstanding citizens" to me.

Reactions: Raistlin1022

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Apparently Gilman was brought on to take over the Marlies. He is a good guy to have at the table in your hockey organization. I don't know if he will ever be GM material, but I he is a solid addition to any team.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
it looks like in toronto he's not going to be the capologist. they already have one, and that other guy also has an AGM title.

from what i'm reading, gilman will take over player development and be in charge of the farm.

i'm not sure how responsible he was for our farm when he was here, but as brilliant as he was at contracts, player development wasn't exactly a big success during the gillis/gilman era.

on the radio a few weeks ago, gilman did say that after AV called out hodgson for not really being injured, he had to get on a plane and go to a different city to put out that fire. so i guess prospects must have been at least partially part of his job here.

He dabbled here, but more later on Gillis era with not much success to speak of. Maybe he wants to focus on more of a hockey guy position to gain street cred to add to his solid business acumen in the hockey world.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
The pipeline is that scouts identify the players that will fit your team/needs. Then the GM/AGM try to maintain and maximize the players.

Half of the acquisition is in drafting, which scouts may or may not be doing a terrible/great job at. The existence of potatoGMs alone suggests to me that it might be an overblown quality of a general manager.

With Gilman some of these UFA contracts aren't signed in the first place, which would be a huge improvement. More assets would have been acquired, and the draft picks recouped would be fed to your scouts.

Really a good GM needs to make sure his scouts are doing their jobs moreso than being an amazing talent evaluator on their own.

Kickpuncher

Nov 7, 2017
NYC/Vancouver
Apparently Gilman was brought on to take over the Marlies. He is a good guy to have at the table in your hockey organization. I don't know if he will ever be GM material, but I he is a solid addition to any team.

Half the GMs in this league aren't GM material. Gilman's as ready for a shot at the bigtime as any of them, and probably readier than most.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
and re: SJ specifically, unlike some teams/cultures like yzerman's red wings for example, surfer joe doesn't exactly scream "moulder of mature, upstanding citizens" to me.

I swear I had posted this earlier, so if it got deleted I apologize to the mods for re-posting.

Did some digging on the Setoguchi situation:

Devin Setoguchi battle with alcoholism | The Hockey News

Unfortunate situation all-around, hope things are better now but couldn't find anything more recent. Kinda sounds like Minnesota/Winnipeg/Calgary were more at fault than San Jose. The trade by Wilson was cold, but doesn't seem like the player harbours any resentment there.

There's also this:

Joe Thornton paves way for Devin Setoguchi's return

I think the Surfer Joe vibe is actually so refreshing. Thornton was essentially run out of Boston for that very reason, no? (And why he lost the C in SJ??) The point I was originally making is that the league is super uptight about everyone who doesn't fit within a certain range. Thornton amazingly falls out of that range a bit. Therefore, give me that dude as a captain over Cros-bot or Captain Serious.

member 290103

Curious, but why would he not be GM material? He comes across as, as bright a guy as anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad