Post-Game Talk: 2017-18 Around the League Thread | Luca Sbisa, Stanley Cup Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Kings have waived Jussi Jokinen. 34 yrs-old. What a whirlwind career he has over 17 yrs. Liiga when under 20, to the NHL eventually waived, but traded and then later waived, but traded again, went UFA, was later bought out, UFA, Traded, and now waived again. Been with 7 NHL teams and if picked up it will be 8. It's been 15 years in the NHL.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Time on Paul Martin has passed. It's 2:37 EST and the deadline was 12:00 pm EST. Either no announcement or the Kings are trying to unload him to someone for a bag of pucks. Unlikely since he could have been had for free. AHL San Jose sounds like his logical next stop unless they don't even want him there. Perhaps a loan to another franchise's AHL team with some or all salary retained? $4mil is a lot to pick up a guy to play in the AHL. He looks to be an anchor on their cap for 2 more seasons.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Kings have waived Jussi Jokinen. 34 yrs-old. What a whirlwind career he has over 17 yrs. Liiga when under 20, to the NHL eventually waived, but traded and then later waived, but traded again, went UFA, was later bought out, UFA, Traded, and now waived again. Been with 7 NHL teams and if picked up it will be 8. It's been 15 years in the NHL.

Jokinen always bounced between overperforming and underpeforming in a season. Such a gamble of a player

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The Finish Brent Ashton....

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Aren't we collecting underwhelming 30 year old soft euro wingers?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
crosby goes to white house, and now they just announced that kid rock will play at the all-star game.

332180019999.jpg

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
it was before my time, but thursday marks 20 years since the 1998 nhl all-star game in vancouver, and in three weeks it'll have been 20 years since the linden-bertuzzi trade. hello, @Blade Paradigm

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Crawford of Chicago is suffering from vertigo and may be lost for the season.

Won't break a lot of Vancouver hearts. LOL

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Jussi Saros of the Preds shuts out Vegas with 43 saves! 1-0

3 shutouts in his last 5 games for the Predators. Now that's a backup, eh?

Finland just breeds goalies! Maybe it's in the water.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Paul Martin assigned to the San Jose Barracuda after passing through waivers. He could be the highest paid AHL D-man at $4,400,000. Actually one of the highest paid AHL players period. That's why signing guys into their late 30's for big bucks ends up biting teams in the ***. As was stated in this thread yesterday, he is still on the docket for next year for the same kind of money. He will be 37 next season.

Could be foreshadowing of what the Canucks might end up facing with Eriksson. Starting next season his minor league salary would be 7, 5, 4, 4 million through the final 4 years of his contract. Not saying he's ever demoted, but the way he's playing now will Vancouver actually want to give him a roster spot if continues to regress? Can you really see another team willing to take that contract on for the value he'll bring?

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland

And now he's off to Columbus.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
This is why I don't like picking up other teams failed prospects. Every team has these 30 something vets that are clinging to a roster spot. Every team is going to choose the 22 year old kid to play if that kid is at all near the same level as the vet. When they don't it tells you something.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This is why I don't like picking up other teams failed prospects. Every team has these 30 something vets that are clinging to a roster spot. Every team is going to choose the 22 year old kid to play if that kid is at all near the same level as the vet. When they don't it tells you something.

Yup.

Explains why Goldy and Boucher were sent to Utica. Vanek and Gagner were now in the way.

Jake forced his way on the scene or Dorsett and Burmistrov would have sent him down as soon as Gaunce became healthy. Eriksson is now also in the way.

Don't put it past Jim to add a couple more before next season. The cap is supposed to increase and if the Sedins are not re-signed or even sign for half of what they get now, Jim is going to be like the kid in a toy store with a large wad of $$$$ burning a hole in his pocket.He may commit to enough new NHL ready players that there is no roo m for the incoming rookies.

The fact that the kids would all have a season to play together is the way I think they should be brought along anyways. Then if one of them just sets the league on fire and proves he belongs at the next level you bring him up. That's much better than how Jake and Jared were handled. It's probably just me, but iwould have given Stetcher and Huttona t least a few monthes in the AHL first as well. Boeser and Bo are the only kids that burst upon the scene and made a big impact rather than just being able to survive while having a few high points throughout the year that showed what they might be capable of. Now those 2 are under heavy criticism from a good sized group of the fan base with some actually stating point blank that one or the other or even both don't even belong in the NHL at this time. Jake has now become a bust in many people's eyes even if he survives as a bottom 6 forward due to his draft position and the play of those drafted after him. There are those who say he belongs in the AHL right now. The kid is just 21. It would not have been unheard of to have given him another Jr. season. Put him in the AHL last year as his first pro season and then started him there again this year.

Pettersson and Dahlen are being handled exactly like that right now. Dahlen is now in a league equivalent to the ECHL which is actually a downgrade from where he should be (AHL).His mono was a short range excuse. He didn't go back to Sweden and sit out a spell, regain his health, and then gradually work his way back into the game. That was a BS exciuse handed to the fan base who were unlikely to give a ****. He went home on Oct 10th and was playing with Timra on Oct 13 and has played 28 games of their 35 game schedule. He wasn't in Sweden for their first 7 games which are the only games he's missed.
If he doessn't make the NHL next year he belongs in Utica and no excuses will be acceptable here. We are watching all kinds of young European players on the Comets opponents and many don't come with the credentials this kid supposedly had when he was acquired.

Pettersson is playing with men in the SHL which a lot of expert hockey minds equate to the the top half of the AHL teams. He is starring, but his coach says he didn't make the Olympic team because he doesn't have the strength to compete at that high level. Remember the Olympics won't have NHL players so he is playing against the same kind of players he sees regularly in Sweden. If the NHL players were there, he likely doesn't even get mentioned as a possibility. He's not ready for this level, but so many see him as a regular on the Canucks in 9 months. This kid is going to have to go through an amazing metamorphosis in a very short period of time. It would be better not to force that pressure upon him until he at least shows he can fl;y in the AHL just like Toronto did with Nylander. He gets a few games in Vancouvewr throughout the season. Goes back to Utica and works on what it was determined he needs to improve and the next season may start in Utica again and then graduates to Vancouver where he fits in perfectly without needing to be sheltered. Hey, I'm not Shanahan, Lou Lam, Babcock or Linden, Benning, or Green, but I prefer the way the the first 3 have handled young talent over the way Trevor and company have done things.

Mathews was the epitome of top talent in his draft season and MacDavid in his. The Canucks have not drafted one of those. Therefore, the approach with the high but not #1 pick probably should get a little different approach. Just how I see it and I know there are those who oppose my view and that's just fine. I didn't post this to argue just to state where I stand on the issue.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Vegas just thumped Tampa 4-1 in Tampa. If this team is going to fade as so many say they will, they better get to it.

What they are doing is simply amazing.

On another note the pesky Devils beat the Caps.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Vegas just thumped Tampa 4-1 in Tampa. If this team is going to fade as so many say they will, they better get to it.

What they are doing is simply amazing.

On another note the pesky Devils beat the Caps.
Why some ppl still doubt them is beyond me
Everything from the on ice play to analytics suggest that this isn’t a flew at all.
The only thing that’s in their way is the “Expansion team is suppose to suck” logic

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Avalanche helping the Canucks tankers' hopes. Tonight is looking like 8 wins in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->