Speculation: 2017-18 ★ Trade Proposals and Speculation ★

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Are you guys in the market for a top 4 D? Could there be something around Ceci and Faksa? I suspect the Sens would have to add a bit, but I wondered if this could be a foundation for something that works for both teams.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I don't imagine the Stars would be into moving Faksa. He's been one of a few bright spots on the roster who can play a sound two way game. Value-wise what you propose isn't far off, but the Stars will be fine in the top 4 once Heiskanen makes his way over the pond. Right now we've got Klingberg, Lindell and Methot as top 4 quality then a number of guys who can cycle into a top 4 role (Hamhuis, Johns, maybe Honka with some seasoning)

Reactions: Kcb12345

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Are you guys in the market for a top 4 D? Could there be something around Ceci and Faksa? I suspect the Sens would have to add a bit, but I wondered if this could be a foundation for something that works for both teams.

Ceci and Top 4 D do not belong together in the same sentence.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Ceci and Top 4 D do not belong together in the same sentence.

Nah, this just isn't true. The issue with Ceci is that he's being deployed as a #1D at even strength. If he was deployed in Dallas like he is in Ottawa, he'd be arguably your most used DMan.

Obviously, that's a problem - Ceci isn't a top pairing DMan. But if you use him like a "regular" top 4 DMan, he'll fill that role just fine.

I understand not wanting to trade Faksa for him, or hell, saying he isn't worth what you'd need to give up, but Ceci is and has been a top 4 DMan for years. He plays more EV than Shea Weber.

Just because some Sens fans blame him for everything that ends up in the net, doesn't mean he's crap. He's Adam Larsson with worse puck skills.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Nah, this just isn't true. The issue with Ceci is that he's being deployed as a #1D at even strength. If he was deployed in Dallas like he is in Ottawa, he'd be arguably your most used DMan.

Obviously, that's a problem - Ceci isn't a top pairing DMan. But if you use him like a "regular" top 4 DMan, he'll fill that role just fine.

I understand not wanting to trade Faksa for him, or hell, saying he isn't worth what you'd need to give up, but Ceci is and has been a top 4 DMan for years. He plays more EV than Shea Weber.

Just because some Sens fans blame him for everything that ends up in the net, doesn't mean he's crap. He's Adam Larsson with worse puck skills.

Cody Ceci is constantly caved in defensively. His CF% relative to his teammates is always low as hell, he doesn't effectively suppress shots.

I'll pass. We have a similar option in Stephen Johns.

cecixco93
johnsst92

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Klingberg, Hanzal, Oettinger, and a 1st for extended Karlsson? Fire away.

A big no thanks from Dallas. If we do end up resigning Seguin, we are gonna need that cap space that EK would want for his own contract. Klingberg is on an amazing contract and Oettinger + a 1st added on anyways is just a no from me either way. Karlssons next contract is going to be McDavid type money I'd suspect, and yes he's arguably the best dman in the world but that cap hit for that term is something I'd never want my team to do for any player (especially when they're already into their prime)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
What do you guys think of us going after Grabner? Personally, I'm not a huge fan of this option unless we are going after someone like Rick Nash too, which is highly unlikely we acquire both. Almost all of his goals come from speed or from empty netters, and I feel he is a 3rd line goal scorer/fast penalty killer more than a 2nd line winger because he has absolutely no playmaking ability. (23 G, 6 A) scares me..

I mean he is better than Elie/Ritchie so that's a start, and Shore too.

Would definitely not give up a 1st round pick for him or a top prospect.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I don't want Grabner at all

I don't either. Would much rather have someone else like Nash, Pacioretty, Hoffman etc but Nash is likely the only realistic option for us. Mike Heika, Sean Shapiro, and others all think Grabner is the best choice though...I'm not a fan

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'd be thrilled to get Rick Nash. He can still do it all.

Shapiro and Heika favouring Grabner over Nash makes no sense. What's their logic?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'd be thrilled to get Rick Nash. He can still do it all.

Shapiro and Heika favouring Grabner over Nash makes no sense. What's their logic?

No idea. They both feel he would be a very good piece to add because of his speed. They feel Nash would be good too, but favor Grabner because he would be cheaper

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
What's the cap for Nash looking like for us? That's the big holdup in my mind. Who can go the other way besides Kari?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
No interest in Nash. He's a shell of his former self and I'm not sure he helps us all that much this season anyway. He especially won't help next year since the likelihood of him staying is low. We need someone who will be around while the window is still open...and our window is VERY small if we even have one at all.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Sure, but some roster player will go back. Ritchie is the obvious one because he’s the highest paid of the lower liners the Rangers might want. They wouldn’t want a UFA like Roussel.

Not only that but Roussel would be way more effective for us in the playoffs than Ritchie anyways

Reactions: Dynamite Time

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
We have 4.1M deadline dollars to spend and Rick Nash has 2.1M remaining as of right now

I have not been watching as much as usual, but where did you get that number. I thought Cap Friendly was still one of the better options at there, and if Dallas didn't make a trade until the day of the deadline, they show Dallas would only have $2,993,089 in space. They have $2,394,471 to make a trade today.

That's still not an issue since Nash at 50% would only cost $3.9 million. As long as Ritchie is part of the trade for Nash, Dallas is fine on cap space. $4.1 would be even better though, I just noticed that's not what Cap Friendly has.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
They have 3.5 as of today and should have 4.08 if no moves by the TDL.
Would have been nice if Nill didn't waste near 5mil in cap space on Hanzal considering he's provided damn near nothing, and we're hitched to that mistake for another 2 years. Wouldn't be Nill without some stupid asset management though.....

Reactions: Satan

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Would have been nice if Nill didn't waste near 5mil in cap space on Hanzal considering he's provided damn near nothing, and we're hitched to that mistake for another 2 years. Wouldn't be Nill without some stupid asset management though.....

The Hanzal signing would not be that bad if it was for less AAV and if he wasn't injured all the time. He's a very effective player when in the lineup. Keyword: when

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

Yeah, sending down Dickinson and only carrying 13 forwards bumped that up recently. The problem is it's likely not realistic to expect Dallas to stay healthy between now and the end of the season. They don't have to remain cap compliant in the playoffs, but until the season officially ends, they can't go over the cap. Therefore, you realistically have to leave some of that space open for a forward call up. Otherwise, Dallas could end up in a situation where they're playing with less than 18 skaters or 11 forwards and 7 D.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I have not been watching as much as usual, but where did you get that number. I thought Cap Friendly was still one of the better options at there, and if Dallas didn't make a trade until the day of the deadline, they show Dallas would only have $2,993,089 in space. They have $2,394,471 to make a trade today.

That's still not an issue since Nash at 50% would only cost $3.9 million. As long as Ritchie is part of the trade for Nash, Dallas is fine on cap space. $4.1 would be even better though, I just noticed that's not what Cap Friendly has.

Rick Nash - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Cap Hit: $7,800,000
Daily Cap Hit: $41,935
Accumulated Daily Cap Hit
q.svg
: $5,912,903
Remaining Daily Cap Hit
q.svg
: $1,887,097

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad