World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Drouin was in the AHL when the initial 16 were named and Gally was nearing 30 goals. Somehow he's ahead of him now.

Im not a big Galchenyuk fan but he got snubbed.

Im curious to see how well Matthews looks.

Also no idea why JT Miller got named to this team so early
I was confused by this as well. He's pretty average at everything but he does bring a physical element.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Galchenyuk had a great 1/4 season but his play in his own zone is YUK. Don't even compare him to Thornton

Yet Drouin was named while playing playing more AHL games + sitting at home than actual NHL games. Galchenyuk got snubbed big time. He should be there over Drouin.

I'll also throw a big LOL at JT Miller being pre-named. Just hilarious.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Before Auston Matthews is announced to the team:
Ya Mathews being on the team would be a disaster. It took McDavid 5 or 6 games to look good in the NHL. You want Mathews to have his first game against a bunch of all-stars?

After Auston Matthews is announced to the team:
Glad the panel pretty much said Mathews is there for marketing.

:biglaugh:

What is this panel, and when did they pick Team North America? I could also say McDavid is picked for marketing, GTA boy - tournament in Toronto.... doesn't make it true, unless I made the decision, and picked him for that reason.

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
No Galchenyuk is pretty surprising. He should be on this team. He was really great at center for the Canadiens this season. Criminally underrated

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Gotta sell tickets in Toronto I guess. Embarassing to leave 2 30 goal scorers in Jenner and Galchenyuk over a kid that has yet to play an NHL game. This is not a generational talent like McDavid/Crosby/Lindros we're talking about.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I can see why Drouin made it... his playoffs has been very impressive, and know one doubts the skill (and I will add a much improved shot).

That being said, I have my concerns that part of Drouin looking so good now is the fact that he is really just in mid-season form, while some of these other teams were starting to physically break down.

This team is strong though.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Gotta sell tickets in Toronto I guess. Embarassing to leave 2 30 goal scorers in Jenner and Galchenyuk over a kid that has yet to play an NHL game. This is not a generational talent like McDavid/Crosby/Lindros we're talking about.

How do you feel about Eichel?

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
This whole team is about marketing. After all, what another could be the point of this team? It is here to showcase the young talent of NA. And what is better option than select potential 1st overall pick in 2016? Moreover, this potential 1st overall pick should be selected by Toronto Maple Leafs...

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This whole team is about marketing. After all, what another could be the point of this team? It is here to showcase the young talent of NA. And what is better option than select potential 1st overall pick in 2016? Moreover, this potential 1st overall pick should be selected by Toronto Maple Leafs...

Yeah, it's not like they're planning to skip the Olympics because of this. I can't believe they left Marner & Brown off the team...

ChillyPalmer

Apr 9, 2012
Antarctica
This whole team is a marketing tool. Literally created to add drama. The hurt feelings over Matthews making it is hilarious.

Miller making it is even funnier though.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah, it's not like they're planning to skip the Olympics because of this. I can't believe they left Marner & Brown off the team...

That's not fair to say, they were probably planning to skip the Olympics and added this in it's stead.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Anyways Matthews has proven how good he is. Don't be shocked if he makes the team. He was up for consideration before the draft lotto and all this BS.

The tears are sweet. So much jealousy. Not only does Matthews deserve to be on the team, but I predict he'll be tied with Eichel for the 2nd best forward on the team.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Are people seriously crying about Matthews being named? It's like saying why is Eichel on the team? Because he's actually good at playing the sport of hockey. Gally should have made it but that has nothing to do with Matthews

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
Are people seriously crying about Matthews being named? It's like saying why is Eichel on the team? Because he's actually good at playing the sport of hockey. Gally should have made it but that has nothing to do with Matthews

To be fair, Eichel has played NHL games. It doesn't matter to me either way who made the team but am I missing the similarity in the comparison?

Adam Spylo

Feb 26, 2012

Eichel at least has one full season of NHL games under his belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->