World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
lol.... if you want to rename the World Cup, you should call the IIHF World Championships the Who-is-free-and-doesnt-have-any-plans-for-summer-oh-wait Hot Skoda Summer Cup.

North Americans don't own hockey. The IIHF games have been there from the year 1920, so the heritage is actually stronger than you deem to incline. This World Cup is just one league's leaders making one exhibition tournament before the season starts, so players can warm-up and the owners get some $$$, which doesn't even channel the funds back to ice hockey as a sport (it all goes to owners bank accounts and nothing goes to juniors, building facilities et cetera).

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
North Americans don't own hockey. The IIHF games have been there from the year 1920, so the heritage is actually stronger than you deem to incline. This World Cup is just one league's leaders making one exhibition tournament before the season starts, so players can warm-up and the owners get some $$$, which doesn't even channel the funds back to ice hockey as a sport (it all goes to owners bank accounts and nothing goes to juniors, building facilities et cetera).

I'm pretty sure the world cup is split 50 percent with the players and that's why the players association is okay with it.

Most money for facilities is normally from taxes in canada. And most of the chl (juniors) teams make a profit don't they ? They should get money from the world juniors but why from a men's tournament

Where does all the profit from the Olympics and whc go anyways ? The players play for free for those tournaments they must make pretty good cash.

kulenova seka

I will cheer so strong against Team Europe, hopefully EU players will look uninterested and unmotivated so that in 2020. there won't be EU team. :nod::nod:

Still can't believe who came on such stupid idea...:help:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Many of the teams players come fresh off Olympic qualifiers. Best a coach can do with a team that will have never played together and will barely have any time for training sessions is try to build as many lines as possible with players from the same nations / played together somewhere and hope for the best.

To be really successful you need team chemistry and this team just can't have that with the way its constructed.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
and andersen's out.

Grubauber as replacement ? Not too much to chose from . Khudobin , Hiller , Gudlevskis , Budaj or Berra are other possible goalies but clearly worse imho.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
caps philipp grubauer is replacing andersen per caps beat writers

Makes sense. He's not only clearly the best available replacement goalie but also he already had been training for a couple of weeks with the German NT for the Olympic qualifier.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I also think Ehlers should have been added. Maybe even a rookie to be like Bjorkstrand could take a job from Bellemare or Hansen.

Not that the kids will be definitely that good, but Team Europe will be relying on some seriously over-the-hill scorers like Gaborik, Hossa, and Vanek. I don't know if the kids would make an impact, but you know the old guys won't.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Not much hockey in a while, so I will definitely cheer for them. Sure it's a stupid idea, but it's still hockey I can watch. I think it'll be fun to see how they interact with each other. Can't wait. :popcorn:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not much hockey in a while, so I will definitely cheer for them. Sure it's a stupid idea, but it's still hockey I can watch. I think it'll be fun to see how they interact with each other. Can't wait. :popcorn:

It's a very dumb idea for the NHL to transform an international tournament into a kitschy all-star tournament. But the players will take it a bit more seriously than an all-star game, so I'll probably watch.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
It's a very dumb idea for the NHL to transform an international tournament into a kitschy all-star tournament. But the players will take it a bit more seriously than an all-star game, so I'll probably watch.
Pft let's see how it is before assuming it's not gonna be good. All traditions start out with stupid ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad