2016 WHL Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Barzal shouldn't make the Isles next year. If he does that's a huge mistake by them. I wouldn't put it past an NHL club making a dumb decision though. Happens all the time.

They are losing Okposo, they might feel obliged to keep him, at minimum he will be there for 9 games.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
I'm curious to see how some BWK fans see the team shaping up for next season. I saw some posts earlier saying that they will be a powerhouse next season again, but I'm not sure if that will be the case.

On forward, they'll be losing Quenneville and Hawryluk to the AHL. Duke could be off to the AHL too if he gets signed by the Wild. McGauley will be graduated. Coulter and Campbell will be overagers so some decisions will have to be made there. Campbell will probably be on his way out. Losing Quenneville, Hawryluk, Duke, McGauley is going to be tough to replace on FWD. Daley and Bettens will likely see their way into the lineup. Top 6 will probably be some form of Patrick/Coulter/Kaspick/Mattheos/Daley/Gutenberg/Lewis. If Duke comes back as an overager that would be big.

On defense, Provorov could be off to the NHL, and Wheaton + Erkamps will be graduating. Thomson will be an overager so it may be doubtful if he makes the team. Losing Provorov and Erkamps is huge though. Sambrook will make the team full time. Clague will have to do a lot of the heavy lifting here, especially if Provorov isn't back.

In goal, Papirny will be an overager but the team seems committed to him, so he might be the starter for one more season. I could see Thompson on his way out and them bringing in a prospect to be the backup, maybe someone like Hunter Arps who has pretty nice numbers.

I don't think they'll be the powerhouse they were this season, but they'll probably make the playoffs. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'm curious to see how some BWK fans see the team shaping up for next season. I saw some posts earlier saying that they will be a powerhouse next season again, but I'm not sure if that will be the case.

On forward, they'll be losing Quenneville and Hawryluk to the AHL. Duke could be off to the AHL too if he gets signed by the Wild. McGauley will be graduated. Coulter and Campbell will be overagers so some decisions will have to be made there. Campbell will probably be on his way out. Losing Quenneville, Hawryluk, Duke, McGauley is going to be tough to replace on FWD. Daley and Bettens will likely see their way into the lineup. Top 6 will probably be some form of Patrick/Coulter/Kaspick/Mattheos/Daley/Gutenberg/Lewis. If Duke comes back as an overager that would be big.

On defense, Provorov could be off to the NHL, and Wheaton + Erkamps will be graduating. Thomson will be an overager so it may be doubtful if he makes the team. Losing Provorov and Erkamps is huge though. Sambrook will make the team full time. Clague will have to do a lot of the heavy lifting here, especially if Provorov isn't back.

In goal, Papirny will be an overager but the team seems committed to him, so he might be the starter for one more season. I could see Thompson on his way out and them bringing in a prospect to be the backup, maybe someone like Hunter Arps who has pretty nice numbers.

I don't think they'll be the powerhouse they were this season, but they'll probably make the playoffs. Thoughts?

wont be nearly as good... they'll still do so/so though im sure. The big question will be though if all those guys are gone but Provorov comes back, do they trade him for a giant return?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Good analysis. I don't think that they will be a powerhouse either, but they definitely should make the playoffs. Outside shot at a championship, but not nearly as dominate as this year nor last. Nolan Patrick will have an insane year, but after that there isn't much unless some younger guys step up. Personally, I think Mattheos and Gutenberg will step up, but it won't improve the team. Losing Quenneville, McGauley and Hawryluk is huge. I think Duke will be back with the team. I think they should move away from Papirny though, I've never thought he was that amazing, but he is definitely capable, especially on a powerhouse team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad