Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v35) *ALCS GM 1* @ CLE | Fri, Oct 14 | 8pm ET/5pm PT | Estrada vs Kluber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
So.

That was the worst performance in long time. The Indians didnt win that game, we lost it.

Estrada was amazing. 9 people stranded. 9.

Total suckage. Level 1000.

The Jays were hitting the ball early, far from their 'worst performance' Kluber was just good when he needed to be, coming up with key outs then finally found his stuff again.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The other options to replace him were Goins and Barney. I'd say good on Travis for trying to gut it out, he just couldn't last.

There's a reason he didn't last. He wasn't healthy enough to play and tried to mask it. Goins is awesome defensively, better than Travis, and is a left-handed bat.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
That was incredibly frustrating. We had their ace on the ropes in each of the first four innings and couldn't land a punch.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Was I ever wrong about Estrada though. "No way he can keep pitching like he did in 2015 with a fastball that doesn't touch 90".

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
That was incredibly frustrating. We had their ace on the ropes in each of the first four innings and couldn't land a punch.

That's probably why he's their ace. Our bats were disappointing but it's not just dumb luck that lets guys get out of tough spots. We saw it with Happ in game 2 last series. Elite pitchers are good at stranding guys on base.

Does anyone who knows more about pitchers know how likely Bauer's injury is to affect his pitching? If we can jump on any non-Kluber starts (i.e. Bauer, Tomlin, Clevinger), I still like our chances with our pitching depth

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
We need to mash their other starters or we're done. I am confident we'll be up 2-1 after Monday.

No we won't. Injured starters will make the Indians fodder for the Chicago Cubs, and the MLB WANTS the story this year to be the Cubs breaking their 100+ year championship drought.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The Jays were hitting the ball early, far from their 'worst performance' Kluber was just good when he needed to be, coming up with key outs then finally found his stuff again.

i was going to say something like i get that i'm new and everything but we got good contact and everything, and we challenged, but then Kluber, Kluber'ed. it was a dead match and Marco made 1 small mistake, and that ball didn't even look like a home run until it went over all wall.

it wasn't a bad game at all.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
No we won't. Injured starters will make the Indians fodder for the Chicago Cubs, and the MLB WANTS the story this year to be the Cubs breaking their 100+ year championship drought.

Let the Jays know so they can mail it in, please.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
They were both with two outs. It's not like it's a slam dunk to get a hit in those situations.

I understand that but Tulo is a better hitter than Martin and should be batting 5th, anyone that knows anything about baseball understands that. Russel Martin is cold and we don't have time to keep guys who are cold in prime spots in the batting order, its not the regular season anymore. But knowing Gibby I doubt he changes the order, hes too loyal to his guys.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I understand that but Tulo is a better hitter than Martin and should be batting 5th, anyone that knows anything about baseball understands that. Russel Martin is cold and we don't have time to keep guys who are cold in prime spots in the batting order, its not the regular season anymore. But knowing Gibby I doubt he changes the order, hes too loyal to his guys.

If anything he should probably be hitting 4th and Bautista batting leadoff.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
The "pen" tonight has been one pitcher. And it's game 1 in a 7 game series.

If this take was any hotter, all our screens would be melting.

In which way does that bode any better for us in the future? Their Bullpen is stacked, regardless of how it was used tonight. It's been dominant all Season long.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
In which way does that bode any better for us in the future? Their Bullpen is stacked, regardless of how it was used tonight. It's been dominant all Season long.

WE have a good team. We should be able to get to their other starters and neutralize that bullpen. If we won't, well, then we're not good enough.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Small picture? Frustrating loss. I thought the ump was fine through 5 and then began to expand the strike zone for the Indians while not doing the same for Estrada until the 8th. Those two innings proved crucial. Is Kipnis on base for that HR if that ball 3 -- the same pitch Miller got more than once -- is called strike 2 instead? At the same time, if the hitters manage to bring home runners on base, the umpiring isn't half the issue it was. We hit actually hit Kluber fine today and part of it is just that's what Cy Young award winners do. They may not have their best stuff but grind one out. Still... the Jays did themselves no favours. Defining at-bat of the game: Bautista up with 1 out, JD on 3rd and EE on 2nd, and he strikes out in three pitches.

Big picture? The Jays had won 6 in a row. They weren't going to win out and if any pitcher was going to put a dent in their run, it was going to be Kluber. Game 1 is always nice to get, but if we can come home with the split in Cleveland, I think most of us would be happy. We're past the best they have to offer and Miller threw 30 pitches tonight, while thanks to Estrada's brilliance, our bullpen guys are still fresh. We have as good a shot as any in game 2. Only change I'd make is moving Martin down the lineup. I get Gibby doesn't want to ruin the groove Tułow's been in, but you just can't have a guy hitting .060 coming up after your big guys get on.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
I expected us to lose tonight, frankly. Tomorrow is the big one. I'd be willing to bet a hefty sum whoever wins that one, wins the series.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
That's probably why he's their ace. Our bats were disappointing but it's not just dumb luck that lets guys get out of tough spots. We saw it with Happ in game 2 last series. Elite pitchers are good at stranding guys on base.

Does anyone who knows more about pitchers know how likely Bauer's injury is to affect his pitching? If we can jump on any non-Kluber starts (i.e. Bauer, Tomlin, Clevinger), I still like our chances with our pitching depth

The injured finger is his pinky, so it's very unlikely Bauer is effected at all tbh. They only pushed back his start simply because you can't take the chance that he opens the cut while in the game. You're not allowed to pitch if you're bleeding like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->