Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v28) Next: @ BOS| Fri, Sept 30| 7pmET/4pmPT | Estrada vs Porcello

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
IF a tie breaker with Detroit is needed, when does it get played? lol. Detroit still has to play Cleveland on Monday.

Likely Tuesday with the other game Wed. The playoffs would start later than it should if that happens because of Detroit lol. If they are 0.5 behind us going into Monday they would have 3 must win games in a row. Cleveland, then us then Baltimore.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Yup. So we'd have 2 extra games in "must win".

So ya, we need to outright beat them in the standings. I can't handle that.

I think it's going to be moot. Unless Baltimore and Detroit do some losing (which is possible).

I don't think the Jays are going to win a game in this series.

I mean, after tonight, if all three teams lose every remaining game - the Jays still get in.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, I remembered when I thought about it. All the talk about tie breakers, etc. can get confusing.

If they finished tied for the division, they would play a game 163, if neither team was good enough to be either of the wild cards. Which happened once, I believe, during the days of just one wild card team. In other words: the wild card team had a better record than the two teams tied for the division.

Not anymore. You DONT play the extra for the division ever since the format changed to 2 WC. It's solely for the second WC only.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Sure, but look at Carrera's approach. I'm sure that reliever was sweating a bit with 2 Jays at 2nd and 3rd. Take the patient approach, might even get a walk, but take a hack on the first pitch and not even get a sac fly?

For sure, but Carrera isn't what I would consider a very good hitter. If a sac fly was easy, it'd happen every time.

Sometimes you see the pitch you like and just miss it. Would I have been patient, sure. But I don't know what Carrera was looking for or thinking. He failed at something he fails at 7.5 times out of 10.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I think it's going to be moot. Unless Baltimore and Detroit do some losing (which is possible).

I don't think the Jays are going to win a game in this series.

I mean, after tonight, if all three teams lose every remaining game - the Jays still get in.

Tomorrow is Rodriguez vs Happ. Very winnable. Sunday might be Price vs Sanchez (we haven't announced it yet). Why are they starting Price still? **** off Boston.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
since the blue jays are 4-3 vs tigers, they qualify for WC#2 if both teams are tied, right?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
It's off of H2H. Same with if the 2 WC teams are tied (tiebreaker gets home field).

This is flipped

When there was one WC, you didn't play a Game 163 for the division because both teams advanced to the ALDS. So they used H2H

Now that there is a distinct difference between being a division winner and a WC winner, you play a Game 163 if you're tied for the division even if the loser team would get a WC.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Tomorrow is Rodriguez vs Happ. Very winnable. Sunday might be Price vs Sanchez (we haven't announced it yet). Why are they starting Price still? **** off Boston.

What happens when the Jays' bullpen shows up? They might not start Price if they can't catch Texas.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
This is flipped

When there was one WC, you didn't play a Game 163 for the division because both teams advanced to the ALDS. So they used H2H

Now that there is a distinct difference between being a division winner and a WC winner, you play a Game 163 if you're tied for the division even if the loser team would get a WC.

so there could essentially be 2 Wild Care games? Tor vs Det and Winner vs Baltimore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad