Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v26) Next: vs TB| Wed, Sept 14| 12:30pmET/9:30amPT | Cobb vs Estrada

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Panicking isn't in my nature but.

This is what I see...
hqdefault.jpg

And, yes, it is time.
Panic_button.jpg

<<Press>>

<<Press>>

<<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>><<Press>>

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Well no, the Rays are certainly worse offensively, but it's also less about power and more about the Jays ability to get on base via the walk. Problem is they become the behemoth when they face the Jays for whatever reason.

You're correct. The HR and even SLG are actually not that much different between the two teams. Must have misread the stats box before I posted that.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
They should try getting a competent manger that can make decisions based on analytical data before rebuilding. Old school "gut feeling" managers are the worst.

Which is hilarious because most of the decisions Gibbons makes are pretty solidly backed up by analytics.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not saying I agree with the rebuild (assuming we're talking a full-on, Leafs "lets get young" rebuild), but the offense has not been good all season. Outside of home runs and runs scored, offensively this team is pretty solidly in the middle or bottom of the pack in all key stats.

The team was slow to get going in April and in a slump now, but otherwise has been fine. There will be tweaking of course, but a full out rebuild? I don't think so.

Of course that being said it may end up being a forced rebuild anyways with EE, JB and Saunders being free agents. We still have Martin, Tulo and Travis seems to be doing well too.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Please Come Back !!!!
bringer_of_rain_by_joshuabain-d9knyzn.jpg

Heard he was getting a Hip MRI today.
Not so good :(

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
The team was slow to get going in April and in a slump now, but otherwise has been fine. There will be tweaking of course, but a full out rebuild? I don't think so.

Of course that being said it may end up being a forced rebuild anyways with EE, JB and Saunders being free agents. We still have Martin, Tulo and Travis seems to be doing well too.

And don't forget Donaldson. ;)

We still have guys like Pompey that can be put onto the roster to compliment the vets and hopefully take a lead role when they leave/retire without having to tear the whole thing down and fill up holes with youngsters for future success. We might need a bit of a "retool", but that's about it.

This isn't the Leafs with Kessel. We have key positional players who are high-end superstars and a rotation and bullpen that could be good enough to win a World Series. It just needs some pieces rotated.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Nothing has been good these past two weeks.

I'm taking over the season.

And as has been noted by many, Gibby is using the call-ups a lot during this slump which is, IMO, making the pitching numbers look inflated. I don't think we've been pitching all that bad over this stretch.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
The Jays are tied in Pull% with the Cubs.

Cubs have a team 3.09 ERA which is why they have won so many games.

Jays pitching has also carried the team much of the year but to a lesser extent.

The cubs have the level of pitching to sustain offensive slumps even in the playoffs. The Jays have good pitching but we can't afford that same luxury.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm taking over the season.

And as has been noted by many, Gibby is using the call-ups a lot during this slump which is, IMO, making the pitching numbers look inflated. I don't think we've been pitching all that bad over this stretch.

Nah, the starters have been horrible as well. Only the Braves, Astros, and DBacks have been worse in terms of ERA in the month of September. On the bright side the Angels have been the 6th worse in that span? So maybe, just maybe the offence can do something.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Jays pitching has also carried the team much of the year but to a lesser extent.

The cubs have the level of pitching to sustain offensive slumps even in the playoffs. The Jays have good pitching but we can't afford that same luxury.

This is purely a discussion about offense. The Cubs pull the ball as much as the Jays and have a dominant offense.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

The Jays could have the best staff in baseball right now and it wouldn't matter. They're the 2nd worst offense in almost every category the last little while. You just can't win when you score 2 or 3 runs a game. You may be able to stay around .500, but you aren't gonna make the playoffs.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Nah, the starters have been horrible as well. Only the Braves, Astros, and DBacks have been worse in terms of ERA in the month of September.

Where can I find pitching stats for just starters?

For the whole pitching staff in September, including the bullpen, the Jays are 10th and 8th for OBA and WHIP (20th and 18th including the NL), which isn't great, but isn't terrible, even while they're 15th in ERA (29th in the league).

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad