Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v26) Next: vs TB| Wed, Sept 14| 12:30pmET/9:30amPT | Cobb vs Estrada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Of course there's skill in hitting a baseball, but outside of general location (right, centre, left, particularly), there's not really much ability to control where the ball goes after contact. :dunno:

Majority of the Jays hitters try to pull everything which is why the BABIP sucks. It leads to a lot of ground balls on the pull side into the shift and a lot of pop up/fly ball outs. If the jays used the entire field more the BABIP would increase.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Majority of the Jays hitters try to pull everything which is why the BABIP sucks. It leads to a lot of ground balls on the pull side into the shift and a lot of pop up/fly ball outs. If the jays used the entire field more the BABIP would increase.

Seems to be the way they've been lately. Haven't been watching constantly all season, so don't know if they've been doing it, but there's been very few liners and ground balls to the opposite field over the last month or so, which definitely suggests an extreme pull mentality. That definitely explains why they've been so bad.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Does that also explain why everything is dropping in for the Rays?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Bautista is done. His bat has slowed down to the point that he can't catch up to fastballs anymore :(

Bautista is done because he is stubborn as **** and refuses to make the proper adjustments now that he can't destroy balls like in his prime.

With the right mind frame I bet Jose could hit .260/.270 with 20-25 HR's but he's so pull happy and thinks he can still hit 40+ despite the fact his body is breaking down. Pitchers will work him on the outside corner all day because he is too stubborn to slap that pitch into RF for a single. Just a steady stream of pop ups, weak fly outs/ground balls.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Bautista is done because he is stubborn as **** and refuses to make the proper adjustments now that he can't destroy balls like in his prime.

With the right mind frame I bet Jose could hit .260/.270 with 20-25 HR's but he's so pull happy and thinks he can still hit 40+ despite the fact his body is breaking down. Pitchers will work him on the outside corner all day because he is too stubborn to slap that pitch into RF for a single. Just a steady stream of pop ups, weak fly outs/ground balls.

IMO, Jose's eye is what's failing him this year more than anything. His OBP is 20 points lower and he's striking out every 4th AB (vs every 5th AB last year). He's always been pull-heavy, including last year, but I find it difficult to believe his bat speed could drop enough within an 8-month period that severely.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

The Rays are more pull happy than the Jays :dunno:

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
The Rays are more pull happy than the Jays :dunno:

Which explains why the Rays are about as bad a team offensively as the Jays. They Jays just have the old equalizer called power to make them look like they're better.

The Rays definitely have been spraying the ball around this series more than the Jays.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I never said the Rays were good.

They hit well at rogers center for whatever reason but they still have a ****** approach which is why most teams shut them down.

They just hit the Jays well, but it kinda excuses the Jays babip errors because for whatever reason, a team mired in babip issues somehow babips their way to victory every time against the Jays.

babip babip babip.

Which explains why the Rays are about as bad a team offensively as the Jays. They Jays just have the old equalizer called power to make them look like they're better.

The Rays definitely have been spraying the ball around this series more than the Jays.

Well no, the Rays are certainly worse offensively, but it's also less about power and more about the Jays ability to get on base via the walk. Problem is they become the behemoth when they face the Jays for whatever reason.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Alexia skeletor ramirez sure is one happy mother ****er all the time
I don't think I've seen such goofy pro athlete before

just the way he was giggling last night when he tripped over first base. It was perfect, somehow.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
A poorly timed slump and a rebuild is needed...sure.

I'm not saying I agree with the rebuild (assuming we're talking a full-on, Leafs "lets get young" rebuild), but the offense has not been good all season. Outside of home runs and runs scored, offensively this team is pretty solidly in the middle or bottom of the pack in all key stats.

ChiTownLeafer

From Toronto to Chicago
Dec 26, 2011
Chicago, IL
When was the last time a purely power hitting team won the world series? It seems most of the previous WS winners had high OBP players, good starting pitching and a good bullpen?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad