May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
rio_banner_base_template.png

--> 2016 Rio Modern Pentathlon Schedule <--

DEODORO AQUATICS CENTER

Deodoro-Aquatics-Centre-1024x768.jpg

DEODORO STADIUM

300px-Rio2016_julho_ZonaB_Deodoro_014_2480_-c-2016_GabrielHeusi_HeusiAction(1).jpg

YOUTH ARENA

http%3A%2F%2Faoc-rio2016.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fimages%2FdmImage%2FSourceImage%2Fyouth%20arena%20920x331.png

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
They might as well have had them play a football match against each other. Never understood the justification for the competition format of some Olympic events.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
They might as well have had them play a football match against each other. Never understood the justification for the competition format of some Olympic events.

Modern pentathlon is supposed to represent the things a courier in the Napoleonic wars would have had to have been accomplished in. Riding, dueling, shooting, running, swimming.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Modern pentathlon is supposed to represent the things a courier in the Napoleonic wars would have had to have been accomplished in. Riding, dueling, shooting, running, swimming.

Interesting definition of "modern" from those who conceived it, even in 1912.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Apparently there was a different pentathlon in the ancient Olympics. So I guess in 1912 this was "modern".

Yep, very different pentathlon. Personally I wish they'd bring back the Pankration. Is it really worse than MMA? :D

Napoleonic customs must have seemed pretty antiquated on the eve of World War 1. That's all I meant.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Yep, very different pentathlon. Personally I wish they'd bring back the Pankration. Is it really worse than MMA? :D

Napoleonic customs must have seemed pretty antiquated on the eve of World War 1. That's all I meant.

Not really, they still had mounted cavalry in WWI. I think Poland even had mounted cavalry in WWII. Not exactly a winning strategy at that point obviously.

In fact George Patton competed in the MP in the 1912 Olympics.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Not really, they still had mounted cavalry in WWI. I think Poland even had mounted cavalry in WWII. Not exactly a winning strategy at that point obviously.

True, there were relics of the old military technology despite the innovations in chemical warfare, rifles, and fighter planes. But there was also a ton of social change in Europe since Napoleonic times. The prestige and power of the nobility was slowly being replaced by pure wealth.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
True, there were relics of the old military technology despite the innovations in chemical warfare, rifles, and fighter planes. But there was also a ton of social change in Europe since Napoleonic times. The prestige and power of the nobility was slowly being replaced by pure wealth.

I think in WWI there were more than just relics of old military technology being used. Plenty of trench warfare, horses, bayonets, very messy stuff. And the Olympics were never really at the forefront of social change- the whole amateur only thing was a way to keep out the great unwashed masses. I'm pretty sure that for maybe the first half of the 20th century modern pentathlon was the province mainly of military officers. Even in the 1980's the US modern pentathlon team trained at Fort Sam Houston in Texas. So that military connection stuck around for a long time.

Edit: looks like they're bringing modern pentathlon back to Fort Sam: http://www.jbsa.mil/News/News/Artic...ary-pentathlon-returning-to-fort-sam-houston/

Oct 18, 2006
Chloe Esposito provided what was definitely one of the highlights of the Olympics for Australia. It's funny because prior to the event the majority knew nothing about her, yet she narrowly missed the Beijing games as a 15 year old, was 7th in London, and won here. She was 45 seconds behind heading into the shooting yet shot 20/21 and won.

What a story. She's a lovely, humble, dedicated girl who thoroughly deserved her success; it's a pity there was so little fanfare over her. Although in saying that, judging by how our much more hyped up athletes fared, perhaps a large part of the reason she did win was due to this lack of hype. Her younger brother finished 7th. I''ll certainly be paying much closer attention to this even in Tokyo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->