2016 NHL Playoffs Discussion Thread

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Watched the first bit of playoffs since the first round :laugh: not impressed with the Sharks; they're likely the 4-5th best team out West that made it to the Cup.

Congrats to the Pens. I dislike that team because of how they're built; but, good for them. Only needed two generational players, elite scorer, a goalie to stand on his head :laugh:

Sharks fully deserved to make the finals with their play in the playoffs. This Pens team has shown itself to be a true juggernaut. That's it. Urgency wasn't the problem for the Sharks; the problem was Pittsburgh players repeatedly making good individual plays at every opportunity, and faster than their opposition.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
The sharks were absolutely the best team in the west, everyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. The penguins simply outplayed the sharks and Sullivan outcoached deboer by a mile.

Happy the season is finally over, let's get on to a new coach, signing the rfa's, and picking up some shiny new guys at the draft.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Congrats to the Pens. They were the better team for sure.

Not looking forward to all the ad campaigns with Crosby holding the Cup as the centerpiece again.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hoping Kessel gets the Smythe.

Just to stick it to Toronto.

Edit: Eh. I honestly didn't think Crosby was the Pens MVP. I would have picked both Kessel and Murray over him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Sharks fans > Kings fans

At least they know when and who to boo

And Kessel should have won the Conn Smythe over Crosby.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Full credit for Rutherford. Took a lot of "cast offs" or guys that just didn't fit anymore in Kessel, Fehr, Daley, Cullen, Hagelin, and Schultz and made it work.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Congrats to the Pens on a great turnaround this season. I like that Sid has 2 rings now, it will cement his legacy as a great player.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sharks fully deserved to make the finals with their play in the playoffs. This Pens team has shown itself to be a true juggernaut. That's it. Urgency wasn't the problem for the Sharks; the problem was Pittsburgh players repeatedly making good individual plays at every opportunity, and faster than their opposition.

Not going to argue with you about this because it's not really worth debating; but it would have been interesting to see LA, Chicago or St. Louis in the finals against the Pens. They were the big boys out west to me.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Not going to argue with you about this because it's not really worth debating; but it would have been interesting to see LA, Chicago or St. Louis in the finals against the Pens. They were the big boys out west to me.

5/6 teams could have made it out of the West.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Full credit for Rutherford. Took a lot of "cast offs" or guys that just didn't fit anymore in Kessel, Fehr, Daley, Cullen, Hagelin, and Schultz and made it work.

They don't win without the trades. I don't get complaining how they were built. Let it go. This team won because of the depth and coaching.

Rutherford turning Scuderi into Daley, getting Hagelin who fit into the roster Perfectly , and bringing in guys like Cullen was brilliant

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So wait, teams can win the Cup with skilled players? This is exactly why the Flames should draft whoever they view is the best player at 6, size or lack thereof size.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I whole heartily support this message

Everyone should get two top 5 centres in the world over the past 10 years. Speed kills.

Seriously though the NHL goes through these different phases. When LA wins everyone needs big heavy teams. When Chicago wins, everyone needs elite level skill. When Pittsburgh wins, everyone needs speed to burn now.

I think the common thread is, you need 3 stars at forward, 1 all star defenseman and great goaltending when the time comes. Surround them with solid depth that contributes... And you have your cup team :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like Tkachuk, I'll be happy if we get him, but if we do I hope we take him because he's the best player. He's not as skilled nor creative as Keller, I also think Nylander is better. Having size is great, and Tkachuk is a great player with size. But is he the best player, I'm not so sure?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

But when the chips were on the table, they weren't. They were inferior to the Sharks this year, and that's why they were home watching. Maybe your idea of those teams is better than the Sharks, but the teams themselves proved not to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad