Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 72nd Overall (NJ) - J.D. Greenway - D - USNTDP [6-5/205]

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
He'll also log a ton of minutes for Flint... Why are people scared of him going there do you actually think hes going to get shot or something?

I'd like to see him playing with Saarijarvi that could be a nasty pairing.

Because the organization as a whole is an absolute dumpster fire.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
He'll also log a ton of minutes for Flint... Why are people scared of him going there do you actually think hes going to get shot or something?

I'd like to see him playing with Saarijarvi that could be a nasty pairing.

Putting the city's issues aside, the organization is easily one of the worst in junior hockey. Saarijarvi was also dealt to a Sauga team pushing for a strong playoff run.

Greenway's a big kid. Let him play against 20-21 year olds at a good College program.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Putting the city's issues aside, the organization is easily one of the worst in junior hockey. Saarijarvi was also dealt to a Sauga team pushing for a strong playoff run.

Greenway's a big kid. Let him play against 20-21 year olds at a good College program.

Long as he plays in junior he'd play 20 minutes a nite college not so much

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Great reach on this guy as demonstrated on his assist yesterday, it seems to span a quarter of the width of the rink. Two steps and a deke and he's beat a guy and puts himself in the slot. Raw talent but amazing size.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Great reach on this guy as demonstrated on his assist yesterday, it seems to span a quarter of the width of the rink. Two steps and a deke and he's beat a guy and puts himself in the slot. Raw talent but amazing size.

This is where size has its advantages with long reach and big strides covering lots of ground.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
It was hard to read the players'' numbers, but was the guy Greenway beat on the deke Jesper Lindgren?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Anyone have any updates on the play of Greenway? He has 4 pts and 8 games as an 18 yr old D in the NCAA which seems pretty decent. He is a guy I am pretty excited about seeing develop as he has the size and raw tools to be very good. It would be awesome to get some insight on him from someone who has watched, or conversed with someone who has watched some of the U of Wisconsin games.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Sounds promising.
He’s a raw talent who has a calm demeanor and a knack for handling the puck in tight spaces. At 6-foot-5 and 210 pounds, he’s big but mobile.

There also have been times when the raw part of his talent has come through. Tony Granato said Greenway, 18, has been inconsistent through four weeks of the season in adjusting to what the coaches are asking from defensemen.

“He gets some of it, and some of it he gets back on his heels and puts himself in a position that we’re not looking to have him in,†Granato said.

Badgers associate head coach Mark Osiecki, who works with the team’s defensemen, said Greenway might not yet have an appreciation for how good he’s going to be later in his career if he keeps improving.

So coaches have been showing him NHL clips to demonstrate the kind of game they think he can reach if he develops a consistently high level.

“That’s what he has to understand at some point — ‘I can do this every shift and every drill,’ †Osiecki said. “Once he gets to that consistency level, who knows how high he’s going to go.â€

Greenway said he sees the inconsistencies in his game that the coaches are talking about.

“Sometimes I go out there with a mindset where I need to do something different and that runs me into trouble,†he said. “But the main thing is I just need to keep my game simple. I can’t go out there and try to (skate) end to end every time.â€

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...cle_0fc33b42-9839-5d41-935f-51986efff100.html

I believe the footage the are showing him is of Seabrook so I imagine that they are trying to mold him in that model.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Where has he been? Personal issues is why he isn't playing? Does anyone have any info..

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not sure things will pan out, was a worthwhile gamble. Had a lot of the tools it seemed like. Losing a season to personal issues can suck too.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hopefully he's righted the ship. Our last NCAA prospect to miss half a season for non-hockey reasons (Frattin) came back and Stormed his way to a Hobey Baker nomination

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I've been worried about Greenway. There's a lot of mystery going on with why he wasn't playing for the Badgers this year in the first place. Could be academic or personal but I don't want to speculate either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->