Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 72nd Overall (NJ) - J.D. Greenway - D - USNTDP [6-5/205]

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I hear he impressed so much that he s weighing junior now ,he just needdds to play alot ,regular sshifts ,just like middleton and logan Stanley ,u can argue thes 3 are pretty much lumped together ,it ll be scary if greenway or middleton progress next year the way Stanley did in Windsor this year ,the leafs wil get bigger in a hurry
He'll get a bunch of time at Wisconsin. They had a rough year and are sort of rebuilding. Plus I don't want him anywhere near Flint. Maybe if he isn't getting icetime, but I think the coaching, and getting slightly stronger to dominate with his size could be good. I like how we have 2 OHL guys to watch in regards to D, and we can follow Wisconsin for Greenway.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I personally like the NCAA for longer term prospects - more focus on weight training and rookies get sheltered a lot more.
I think I'd be fine either way with him. He's huge already, I don't think we're ever gonna complain about him not being strong enough. The extra ice time might help him clean up some of the rawer aspects to his game. From what I've heard is he's got a bit of lil brother syndrome. Chl might be good for him to really spread his wings.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
My contributions here will be anecdotal, but I was able to see the U18 team play Boston University last fall. I was extremely impressed with the U18 team and was really surprised to see them take it to guys that were up to 6 years older than them in a 5-2 victory. Players that stood out for me were Keller, Bellows, Lockwood and Krys. The one player that stood out in a negative way was Greenway. He just seemed like a very slow player in terms of both skating and decision-making and was coughing the puck up all night. He was the only player that reminded me that the U18 team weas significantly younger than the BU team. I don't know too much about the player and his progression this year, but I was a little disappointed when I heard about this pick. I hope he was just having an off-night that game.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
My contributions here will be anecdotal, but I was able to see the U18 team play Boston University last fall. I was extremely impressed with the U18 team and was really surprised to see them take it to guys that were up to 6 years older than them in a 5-2 victory. Players that stood out for me were Keller, Bellows, Lockwood and Krys. The one player that stood out in a negative way was Greenway. He just seemed like a very slow player in terms of both skating and decision-making and was coughing the puck up all night. He was the only player that reminded me that the U18 team weas significantly younger than the BU team. I don't know too much about the player and his progression this year, but I was a little disappointed when I heard about this pick. I hope he was just having an off-night that game.

Thanks for your insight, but it sounds like Greenway finished off the year strongly (You mentioned the game you saw was in the fall). If anything, I'd find this encouraging. If Greenway made huge strides in that short period of a time this past season, who knows where his ceiling is. Seemed to make okay decisions in the prospect camp, and he had a very good U18 tournament statistically. I thought I heard he wasn't on a for a goal against, but I could be getting my prospects confused.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Thanks for your insight, but it sounds like Greenway finished off the year strongly (You mentioned the game you saw was in the fall). If anything, I'd find this encouraging. If Greenway made huge strides in that short period of a time this past season, who knows where his ceiling is. Seemed to make okay decisions in the prospect camp, and he had a very good U18 tournament statistically. I thought I heard he wasn't on a for a goal against, but I could be getting my prospects confused.

That's good to hear. It seems to fit one of the philosophies the Leafs employed this draft: drafting rising and late bloomer type players. It will be interesting to see how this strategy plays out. I'd also find it interesting to see if there are any relationships between how a player rises or falls in their draft stock and their NHL success. It would be cool to compare midterm and final ISS rankings and see if being a riser or a faller predicts NHL success any differently.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
He'll get a bunch of time at Wisconsin. They had a rough year and are sort of rebuilding. Plus I don't want him anywhere near Flint. Maybe if he isn't getting icetime, but I think the coaching, and getting slightly stronger to dominate with his size could be good. I like how we have 2 OHL guys to watch in regards to D, and we can follow Wisconsin for Greenway.

This. Go be a Badger, and we'll see ya in a few years, Kid.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011

Absolutely! I felt terrible for the kids who had to play on that trainwreck last year. I don't know if the CHL has cleaned up that mess yet, but I still don't want any of our prospects anywhere near it.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Just put him on the shelf in college for 4 years. See ya in '22 bud. By then he will either be a legit player or a bust, but at least he wont be rushed.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Keep him away from Flint.

3 years in college (don't want a Vesey situation).

You realize the Leafs have no say in this right? If Greenway (or any NCAA player) decides they don't want to play for the team that drafted them, they can just complete their 4 years of school and then wait for Aug 15 to sign wherever they want to go.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
I remember seeing him at the U-18s (on TV) in the Fin - USA semi-final game and in the Can - USA Bronze Medal game. In both games he looked solid (Fox was greater). Greenway finished the tournament with the top +/- (+16) and finished 4th in defenceman points behind Fox, Quennville, and Fabbro. Greenway looks like a solid pick, especially for a 3rd round pick. His skating looked good for his size and his positional play looked good. I noticed that he played the last man in first man back type of positional play. Greenway has the physical tools.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You realize the Leafs have no say in this right? If Greenway (or any NCAA player) decides they don't want to play for the team that drafted them, they can just complete their 4 years of school and then wait for Aug 15 to sign wherever they want to go.

I actually know exactly how it works.

What I meant was that I hope he does not CHOOSE to stay for the 4 years to avoid that type of situation.

Also, I'm hoping he develops to the point that after 2 years of college he is ready for pro.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Because Wisconsin is a good school for a young defenceman and he'll get enough ice time there with them being a rebuilding team.

He'll also log a ton of minutes for Flint... Why are people scared of him going there do you actually think hes going to get shot or something?

I'd like to see him playing with Saarijarvi that could be a nasty pairing.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
He'll also log a ton of minutes for Flint... Why are people scared of him going there do you actually think hes going to get shot or something?

I'd like to see him playing with Saarijarvi that could be a nasty pairing.

Except Saarijarvi was traded to Mississauga...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad