Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 57th Overall (WSH) - Carl Grundstrom - RW - Modo Hockey [6-0/180]

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We all knew Grundy was special considering. Who's pick did we get him with? Was a he a result of what we got for Dion??

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
We all knew Grundy was special considering. Who's pick did we get him with? Was a he a result of what we got for Dion??

We got him with Washington's pick.

Winnick traded for Laich, Carrick and Gundstrom.

Mark it a win.

And playing Laich helped us TANK for Matthews.

We have Ottawa's 2nd round pick this year (plus $7m of cap space) for Phaneuf.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We got him with Washington's pick.

Winnick traded for Laich, Carrick and Gundstrom.

Mark it a win.

And playing Laich helped us TANK for Matthews.

I said that was our best trade of the year at the time. Now with how Grundy is going it could optically end up looking like one of the most lopsided wins for our organization.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Grundstrom is looking like a steal right now.

3 goals and 1 assist in 5 games for the Marlies so far in the playoffs.

It's safe to say he's already leap frogged all our forward prospects except for Kapenen.

A little premature to be claiming that just because of 5 good games. I like him a lot too and think he's getting close to our 3rd best prospect, but you have to remember guys like Korshkov, Johnsson, Rychel, and Leipsic are looking like legitimate Top-9 players possibly next year.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Was at the game last night and out of all the players he was the only one that looked like an NHLer on that given night on the Marlies. Kapenen left much to be desired... Leipsic's speed was unreal but i think Grundstrom's game will translate very well to the NHL and soon.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Really liked Grundstrom in his draft year, had him ranked at the end of the first round and was surprised to see him drop to the end of the second round. Plays like Hornqvist and could be a very effective complementary player on a scoring line and a productive one at that.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Was at the game last night and out of all the players he was the only one that looked like an NHLer on that given night on the Marlies. Kapenen left much to be desired... Leipsic's speed was unreal but i think Grundstrom's game will translate very well to the NHL and soon.

out of all our NHL ready-ish wingers on the marlies, leipsic is at the bottom of the pile for me I think he is gone in the summer, likely in a package but could also be used as a 1 for 1 with a similar D prospect. Small scoring winger we have more than covered in the NHL and marlies and even further behind him in jnr (brooks & bracco)

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes

It's safe to say he's already leap frogged all our forward prospects except for Kapenen.

I'd agree with that. You know who me reminds me of.. Hyman, except he has more offensive skills, and can actually score when the opportunities arise.

Love to see Grundstrom moved beside Mathews to start the year (assuming he makes the team). Grundstrom can grind along the boards like Hyman. Move Hyman down to the 4th line where his level of offense is expected (tolerated?).

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
out of all our NHL ready-ish wingers on the marlies, leipsic is at the bottom of the pile for me I think he is gone in the summer, likely in a package but could also be used as a 1 for 1 with a similar D prospect. Small scoring winger we have more than covered in the NHL and marlies and even further behind him in jnr (brooks & bracco)

Leipsic looks good and i hope he could be a solid NHLer but watching him i think he is one of those guys that can dominate the AHL and have trouble adjusting to the NHL. That being said if he or anyone is put with Matthews then i am sure they could be an NHl regular (see Hyman).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Leipsic looks good and i hope he could be a solid NHLer but watching him i think he is one of those guys that can dominate the AHL and have trouble adjusting to the NHL. That being said if he or anyone is put with Matthews then i am sure they could be an NHl regular (see Hyman).

ha hyman and his 28 points is proof? :sarcasm: (he is an nhler before others lose their ****).

Leipsic wouldn't be put with Matthews
LW is hymans spot,
Komarov has kadris LW
JVR bozaks and if JVR were moved Kapanen can play LW and should be in that spot, there really isn't a spot for him and RW is even more crowded.

Now Hyman is a natural RW that could be an option, there is also the obvious option of hyman moving into a role more applicable to his skill set 4th LW

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
ha hyman and his 28 points is proof? :sarcasm: (he is an nhler before others lose their ****).

Leipsic wouldn't be put with Matthews
LW is hymans spot,
Komarov has kadris LW
JVR bozaks and if JVR were moved Kapanen can play LW and should be in that spot, there really isn't a spot for him and RW is even more crowded.

Now Hyman is a natural RW that could be an option, there is also the obvious option of hyman moving into a role more applicable to his skill set 4th LW

Oh i am not saying Leipsic should take Hyman's spot or anyone's spot anytime soon. Just saying that putting him with the right player (a potential generational one like Matthews) would make him look like a passable NHLer (in all honesty probably not a compliment at all for Leipsic).

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Babcock wont be able to send him down. Just work a bit on his skating this summer. For Grundstrom to step into the AHL playoffs in Round 2 in a tight series and produce like he has as a 19 yr old speaks volumes.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I would be absolutely shocked if he made the Leafs next season. One thing our management has shown (especially with the limited amount of open spots available on our roster), they are willing to be patient. Once you're with the Leafs, you better be 100% ready to contribute

I see Grundstrom being treated the same way Kapanen was treated 2 years ago.

Let's see what Grundstrom can produce in a top 6 role with the Marlies next season. Following season, I could see him being the clear best player on the Marlies. If all goes well, by year 3, he'll be ready

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I would be absolutely shocked if he made the Leafs next season. One thing our management has shown (especially with the limited amount of open spots available on our roster), they are willing to be patient. Once you're with the Leafs, you better be 100% ready to contribute

Let's see what Grundstrom can produce in a top 6 role with the Marlies next season. Following season, I could see him being the clear best player on the Marlies. If all goes well, by year 3, he'll be ready

I agree with the point about patience. The fact that they put Hyman on Matthews wing all season is the definition of patience.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Wonder if they send him back for another year in the SHL, Frolunda is a great place for young guys to develop. Then bring him and Korshkov over the following season

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Wonder if they send him back for another year in the SHL, Frolunda is a great place for young guys to develop. Then bring him and Korshkov over the following season

That would be a step back in his development. He's thriving in the ahl right now, which is a lot closer to NHL hockey then the shl. He belongs here.. and not just for our playoff run. His next stop after here will be NHL.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That would be a step back in his development. He's thriving in the ahl right now, which is a lot closer to NHL hockey then the shl. He belongs here.. and not just for our playoff run. His next stop after here will be NHL.

He is absolutely here to stay.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown

If that was the plan, they wouldn't have signed him to his ELC yet, and he probably wouldn't have come over for the Marlies run either.

No, I think he's here to stay for next season, and he probably has designs on a NHL roster spot, which, depending on what happens this summer between trades and his own training program, isn't really a long-shot to believe.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If that was the plan, they wouldn't have signed him to his ELC yet, and he probably wouldn't have come over for the Marlies run either.

No, I think he's here to stay for next season, and he probably has designs on a NHL roster spot, which, depending on what happens this summer between trades and his own training program, isn't really a long-shot to believe.

no, he is the type of player Babcock will fall head of heels in love with. Basically a more skilled hyman/komarov hybrid. Its not out of the realm of possibility he makes it out of camp this season forcing a trade or a unexpected player to be a healthy scratch, brown maybe for example

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

That will be the most ideal situation. Let him build with the Marlies. I suspect Marlies will have quite a bit of loss this year with personnel. I don't see Leipsec returning. For him NHL whether it's the Leafs or with someone else.

Rychel, same. They could both be gone during expansion or trade

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
no, he is the type of player Babcock will fall head of heels in love with. Basically a more skilled hyman/komarov hybrid. Its not out of the realm of possibility he makes it out of camp this season forcing a trade or a unexpected player to be a healthy scratch, brown maybe for example

Brown wouldnt be a healthy scratch:laugh:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

There is literally no scenarios where Brown ends up a healthy scratch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad