Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 152nd Overall - Jack Walker - LW/D - Victoria Royals [5-11/179]

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I really like the chemistry that already seems to be established, between Bobylev & Walker.., as they play regularly on the same line in the Victoria Royals.. Great 2015-16 assists and goals from both of them..! If you watch both of these videos I made for them, you will also see a lot of their assists.., as well..

There's also more Victoria Royals worth keeping an eye on.., imo... (i.e.: Soy is amazing..! ..and D-man Joe Hicketts..)

Jack Walker (a.k.a.: Jonathan Walker)
Defense -- shoots L
Born Jul 30 1996 -- Edina, MN
19 yrs. ago
Height 5.11 -- Weight 180

RECENT STATS:

2014-15 - Victoria Royals - WHL
70 Games... 18 Goals... 37 Assists...55 Points... +18
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 WHL PLAYOFFS
10 Games... 4 Goals... 7 Assists...11 Points... +4 +PPG+
2015-16 - Victoria Royals - WHL
72 Games... 36 Goals... 48 Assists... 84 Points... +30 *PPG+
2016 WHL PLAYOFFS
13 Games... 8 Goals... 8 Assists... 16 Points... +8 *PPG+

Wheelin' Walker: All Jack Walker's 2016-16 Goal Highlights - TML (HD)

Last edited:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
The more I watch of this kid.., I realize that I could have probably done a 20 minute video for him..

Great sense of the game, strong two-way player.., beautiful hands... and speedy, like Kessel..

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
The more I watch of this kid.., I realize that I could have probably done a 20 minute video for him..

Great sense of the game, strong two-way player.., beautiful hands... and speedy, like Kessel..

What a fantastic skater! Basically drafted Mike Mcleod in the 6 th round

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This guy's a defenseman? He plays like a scoring winger from that footage...

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
This guy's a defenseman? He plays like a scoring winger from that footage...

He switched to forward a year and a half ago.

That's certainly an impressive highlight package, flashiest of any Leaf prospect since Marner lol. McCagg/McKeens were pretty high on him this season, called him a sleeper pick in the draft who could end up becoming an impact player.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
AHL bound this season? Interesting to see if possible. Wonder if they can sign him to an ATO before an entry-level?

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I just love bringing more good news about our prospects... :)

Royals-VS-Rockets-NOV-20-2016.-Royals-9-Jack-Walker-2949.jpg

My 2nd montage/highlight video for Jack (Jonathan) Walker.., who plays Left- Wing Position with the 2016-17 Victoria Royals...., in the WHL.... and chosen with the Toronto Maple Leafs 9th pick (#132)... in the 6th Round of the 2016 NHL Draft...

Walker has been having another great season on the Royals.., falling behind most people's attention.. and has been quietly racking up the points...

Having a possible future member of the Maple Leafs who is not only a capable Winger.., but also a proven, defense-man..., who is equally comfortable with playing either position.., is something most coaches only dream about.., because this actually gives you an emergency, "immediate", D-man replacement.., due to a injury and/or penalty in a game...

..And Walker's scoring is not just average, either... He's only a little past half-way through his regular season... and with the strength the Royals have, they will most likely push through to Playoffs.. Many well-watched 2017 Draft Prospects, on this season's Royals team..

Jack Walker
(a.k.a.: Jonathan Walker)
Defense/*Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Jul 30 1996 -- Edina, MN
20 yrs. ago
Height 5.11 -- Weight 180

RECENT STATS:

2014-15 - Victoria Royals - WHL
70 Games... 18 Goals... 37 Assists...55 Points... +18
2015 WHL PLAYOFFS
10 Games... 4 Goals... 7 Assists...11 Points... +4 +PPG+
2015-16 - Victoria Royals - WHL
72 Games... 36 Goals... 48 Assists... 84 Points... +30 *PPG+
2016 WHL PLAYOFFS
13 Games... 8 Goals... 8 Assists... 16 Points... +8 *PPG+
*2016-17 - Victoria Royals - WHL
47 Games... 22 Goals... 29 Assists... 51 Points... +12 *PPG+

This video contains: all of Walker's 2016-17 goals (*up to January19th 2017)...., in chronological order.. (except for 2 of the 22 that I couldn't locate)...; many of his 2016-17 assists...; a shoot-out goal..; clips from a July 4th 2016 Leafs interview, from training camp... and other various 2016-17 clips & photos...

(*Starts his scoring off..., by getting a hat-trick, in his 3rd regular season game... :) Got two goals in one of his two pre-season games, too..)

Walk On: Jack Walker Extended 2016-17 Highlights - TML (HD)

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Looks like Walker is now in Minnesota's organization (minor league contract). I guess the Leafs let him go (they still had his rights until June 1, 2018 if I understand correctly)?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Looks like Walker is now in Minnesota's organization (minor league contract). I guess the Leafs let him go (they still had his rights until June 1, 2018 if I understand correctly)?

They had to give him a contract offer(even league minimum) within a year to retain his rights. This is how it works for any CHL player. Given the squeeze on contract spots under the 50 limit and the season he had they likely didn't want to risk him accepting the minimum offer to retain his rights given the reward(retaining his rights for 1 more year) isn't all that high either.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
They had to give him a contract offer(even league minimum) within a year to retain his rights. This is how it works for any CHL player. Given the squeeze on contract spots under the 50 limit and the season he had they likely didn't want to risk him accepting the minimum offer to retain his rights given the reward(retaining his rights for 1 more year) isn't all that high either.

Is it a seperate contract to an NHL contract??

I mean, otherwise it wouldn't make sense for a guy like Dzierkals to sign an AHL deal... no?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Is it a seperate contract to an NHL contract??

I mean, otherwise it wouldn't make sense for a guy like Dzierkals to sign an AHL deal... no?

no, you have to offer them an ELC, which is an NHL contract. Dzierkals was drafted out of Europe, thus we have his rights for 4 years regardless of whether we offer him anything. So the best he could do in North America is an AHL deal assuming we didn't offer him an ELC yet. We likely took advantage of that, knowing we wouldn't have to give him an ELC and still could see what he can do in the AHL like he would if he had been on an ELC.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
no, you have to offer them an ELC, which is an NHL contract. Dzierkals was drafted out of Europe, thus we have his rights for 4 years regardless of whether we offer him anything. So the best he could do in North America is an AHL deal assuming we didn't offer him an ELC yet. We likely took advantage of that, knowing we wouldn't have to give him an ELC and still could see what he can do in the AHL like he would if he had been on an ELC.

Still doesn't make sense to me...

So Desrochers turned down an ELC?? Bobylev?? Korostelev?? (Latter two both drafted from CHL, no?)...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Still doesn't make sense to me...

So Desrochers turned down an ELC?? Bobylev?? Korostelev?? (Latter two both drafted from CHL, no?)...

Yes.(edit: Correction on Bobylev, he left junior to play in the KHl so that gives us his rights for 4 years, per CBA below) I'm only going by the CBA here. The offer only has to be league minimum. If you're in the shoes of a guy who think he's going to get a legit 700k/70k ELC offer why accept a 550k/35k ELC offer? It's not like you're guaranteed to make that 700k, if you accept the league minimum offer and suck you're only going to get about as much as you'd make on an AHL contract anyway, possibly even less. If you don't you'll get the ELC in a year. I mean without thinking it through it's cool to say hey I'm on an NHL contract, but it doesn't mean that much money wise if you're not going to play in the NHL.

Look at a random late round pick. Here are the scenarios.

A) He accepts the league minimum offer of lets say 550k NHL/35k AHl salary
i) He sucks, never makes the NHL, makes 105k in those 3 years
ii) He's fairly good, makes the NHL, maybe for a bit, maybe long term, makes 105k in those 3 years + whatever ELC time he spent in the NHL

B) He declines in hopes of getting the ELC in a year
i) he sucks, doesn't get an ELC, signs an AHL deal or in Europe, makes the same 105k, maybe more if someone wants to entice them to play for their AHL team as its not cap money
ii) He's good, gets a better ELC in a year, or maybe doesn't, but someone else gives him an ELC or gets one down the road, and makes the NHL

Either way the sign the league minimum ELC isn't really better. There's very little risk. I'm not sure what the ELC AHL min salary is, but assuming it's 35k for instance, you're risking 105k over a 3 year span that you could make anyway. If you're good enough you'll get a better ELC, and if you're not you will likely make that 105k up or more in the same timeframe on AHL or European deals.

Go look on CapFriendly, how many league minimum deals ELC's do you see? I'm not sure if I've ever seen one TBH. I can't remember seeing a 550k ELC, league minimum is 650k now I think. Guys don't accept them, it's extremely rare. I guess that maybe makes you question why they didn't offer one expecting him to decline like everyone else does, but he was drafted as a draft overager, and now played his CHL overage year he'd need to play in the AHL now too so maybe the league minimum NHL deal was equal to the best AHL offer he could get, a situation regular junior players wouldn't accept but Walker may have.

Anyway here's the CBA exert on it.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

8.6 Reserve List-Exclusive Rights.
(a) Commencing with the 2013 Entry Draft, a Player selected by a Club in the Entry
Draft shall be registered on the Reserve List of the selecting Club as an "Unsigned Draft Choice."

(i) Subject to the provisions of Sections (b), (c), (d) and (e) below, such
registration shall establish for such selecting Club the exclusive right of
negotiation for the services of each Player selected and registered as
against all other Clubs up to and including June 1 of the next calendar year
following the date of his selection.

(ii) Subject to the provisions of subsection (iii) below and Sections (b), (c) and
(d) below, if, on or before June 1 of the calendar year next succeeding the
Entry Draft, the claiming Club makes a Bona Fide Offer (as defined
below) to its claimed Player of an SPC, the Club shall retain the exclusive
right of negotiation for the services of such Player up to and including the
second June 1 following the date of his selection.

(iii) Notwithstanding anything set forth in subsections (i) or (ii) above, if a
Player is drafted for the first time at age 20 and re-enters the Entry Draft at
age 22, the Club that selects him as a re-entry may retain the exclusive
negotiating rights to the Player for only one (1) year and may not acquire
exclusive negotiating rights to the Player for a second year by extending a
Bona Fide Offer; provided, however, this provision shall not apply to a
Player drafted from a club outside North America for the first time prior to
the 2013 Entry Draft whose rights, under all circumstances, shall continue
to be governed by Section 8.6(a)(ii).

(b) Drafted Players who Leave the Major Juniors prior to age 20.
Notwithstanding any provision of subsection (a) to the contrary, Clubs shall have additional
rights set forth in subsections (i), (ii) and (iii) below with respect to Players who either: (i) were
drafted while playing in the Major Juniors or (ii) other than college players described in Section
(c) below or Players drafted from a club outside North America described in Section (d) below,
play in the Juniors during the period of time that a Club holds their exclusive negotiating rights
and, in either case, cease to play in the Juniors and play in a league other than Juniors prior to
age 20

(i) If a Player who is drafted as an 18-year-old ceases to play in the Juniors in
the first League Year after he has been drafted, his drafting Club shall
have the exclusive right of negotiation for his services until the fourth June
1 following his initial selection in the Entry Draft.

(c) College Players.

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time
of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student
prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and
remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college
class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for
his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation
of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such
Player to retain such rights.

(d) Players Drafted from a Club Outside North America.

(i) Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if
a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is drafted from a club outside North
America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation
for his services through and including the fourth June 1 following his
selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to
such Player to retain such rights.

(e) A "Bona Fide Offer" is an offer of an SPC which is for a period corresponding to
the Player's age as required under Section 9.1(b) of this Agreement, is to commence at the start
of the next League Year, offers at least the Minimum Paragraph 1 Salary as set forth in Section
11.12 of this Agreement for each League Year covered by such offer and remains open to the
Player for at least thirty (30) days after receipt of the offer by the Player.
A Bona Fide Offer
may be conditioned upon acceptance by the Player within thirty (30) days and carries no right to
salary arbitration.

(f) Except as otherwise provided in this Section, a claimed Player unsigned on the
June 1 at 5:00 p.m. New York time next succeeding his draft shall be removed from the Reserve
List of the Club that claimed him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad