Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 152nd Overall - Jack Walker - LW/D - Victoria Royals [5-11/179]

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Jack plays D and wing, but definitely more so at wing the past couple of seasons. He generally plays the point on the powerplay.

May be the fastest skater in the WHL, some of the best hands in the WHL, defensively responsible as you would expect from a dman. Tends to be snake-bitten when it comes to finishing. He's small and not very strong, but he is willing to push back when bullied.

I've never heard him referred to as Johnathan until today and I've watched him since he entered the league.

McMykul

Jul 6, 2009
Victoria, BC
I live in Victoria and Jack Walker has stood out in every game I've gone to. Very fast, good hands, doesn't back down from anyone... great pick this late in the draft!

Number13

May 21, 2007
Never heard of him, but really liking what I'm hearing about him. Sounds like a sleeper due to him switching positions late in his junior career. Good upward trajectory.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I live in Victoria and Jack Walker has stood out in every game I've gone to. Very fast, good hands, doesn't back down from anyone... great pick this late in the draft!

Can confirm, if there was someone from the Royals to grab, it was this kid. ;)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jack plays D and wing, but definitely more so at wing the past couple of seasons. He generally plays the point on the powerplay.

May be the fastest skater in the WHL, some of the best hands in the WHL, defensively responsible as you would expect from a dman. Tends to be snake-bitten when it comes to finishing. He's small and not very strong, but he is willing to push back when bullied.

I've never heard him referred to as Johnathan until today and I've watched him since he entered the league.

My Kelowna Rockets took out Walker and his Royals in the WHL playoffs in 7 games. .Walker had 3-4-7 points in the series but was constantly buzzing around the ice and dangerous because of his skating ability.

Joe Hicketts and Walker do play the point on the PP together.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
He's a fun but frustrating player. The switch to wing showed good improvements.

He's an elite skater with skill, but is selfish with the puck and doesn't have great awareness imo. I don't think it's harsh to call him soft either.

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
Johnnie_Walker_Blue_Label_Scotch_Whisky_7052697.jpg

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Always promising when fans of other teams come over to weigh in on our prospects. I'll take it.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010

Sounds like Grabner.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I had never heard of him but it pleases me to see some western area fans come in here and say good things about him.

AnArmchairScout

Jun 18, 2016
Speed is a major factor, when he gets going it's very hard to catch up with him. So smooth.

I think he got drafted this year due to the fact that now he can handle the puck much better at full speed. Could be a Grabner lite with some finish to his game, sees the ice well and as a former d-man, can QB a PP and is a solid playmaker, shot and scoring touch has improved much from the previous two years I've seen him.

Very skinny, but can play a bit nasty and throw some checks here and there. Uses his speed to avoid defenders.

Both Walker and Bobylev are great picks, both the most likely guys on a great Victoria Royals team who finished 1st in the WHL with the most potential to be impact players at a professional level.

MapleLeaf

Sep 29, 2015

Sounds like he is Grabner 2.0

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Already been said in this thread but he has elite speed/agility, an elite shot, very slick hands, and obviously knows his way around both ends of the ice.

I had him as a total sleeper and am glad he (Soy, Phillips, and Bobylev) all got selected. He could become a very effective pro. He'll have a good chance in the AHL next year and I am very optimistic for this pick.

Trigger96

Mar 3, 2006
He's a fun but frustrating player. The switch to wing showed good improvements.

He's an elite skater with skill, but is selfish with the puck and doesn't have great awareness imo. I don't think it's harsh to call him soft either.

sounds like Jake Gardiner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->