Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 152nd Overall - Jack Walker - LW/D - Victoria Royals [5-11/179]

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
He was a D that switched to LW and flourished.

Skating in his game.

Another 19 year old prospect.

Intriguing.

Almost a backwards Jake Gardiner (who moved from forward to defense and flourished), another Minnesota-native.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Sorry. NHL site had 'Jonathan Walker'.

Wait so what is it? Jonathan or Jack?

Jack can sometimes be used as a short form, for Jonathan..,
as with J.F.K...

His standings seem to be listed under Jack..

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006
I am confused by this draft strategy, we have a ton of players coming up through the system, mostly domestic so they don't have anywhere to go but the Marlies or the ECHL, and we are adding more players that are in that circumstance as well, because they are older already when we are drafting them (Brooks, Bobylyov, Walker). How do we sign all of these guys, wouldn't it have been a better strategy to stash more NCAA (Woll & Greenaway) and european (Grundstrom) players

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So should I change the title to LW?

I think so. Maybe Hunter will clarify on when he does his post draft interview.

But I believe he's a LW going forward since he flourished in that role.

member 147413

I am confused by this draft strategy, we have a ton of players coming up through the system, mostly domestic so they don't have anywhere to go but the Marlies or the ECHL, and we are adding more players that are in that circumstance as well, because they are older already when we are drafting them (Brooks, Bobylyov, Walker). How do we sign all of these guys, wouldn't it have been a better strategy to stash more NCAA (Woll & Greenaway) and european (Grundstrom) players

Either trades or letting players walk

Mar 12, 2009
There's been a lot of overagers drafted by us, I wonder how many from other teams, definitely seen a few. It seems like overagers are getting more consideration this year than in the past, I wonder if that's a testament to how weak the depth of this draft is (something scouts have been saying for a bit).

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Reminds me of:

eb5e7492c136154b9bb3f9182652708ccae7dabc9297c9f950a98ae2567502c4.jpg

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Look like a high risk / high reward kind? do not know much about him

ryleyb

Mar 29, 2016
walker!

He was converted by the Royals from D to LW at the start of last year (I thiiink). He's a very smooth skating, fast and shifty guy. A blast to watch, tons of highlight reel goals of him going coast to coast. Wicked shot, great on the point on the PP.

Because he used to play D, he's excellent on the back-check.

Nothing bad to say about him, not sure how far he projects in the NHL, but he's great in the dub :)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Love this pick for you guys. Wanted Vancouver to take him at 64.

He plays wing but can still play the point on the PP. Absolutely elite skater, lots of skill, and plays a gritty involved game. My favourite sleeper WHL pick, had him ahead of 2 WHL guys that went in the first round.

I think he'll walk into the AHL and score 50 points next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad