2016 ESPYs

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Anyone watching this right now? I know it's always US-centric, but as someone who follows pretty much every North American sport this is always my favourite awards show of the year.

Last edited:

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Been a good 90 minutes of commercials with an award show playing here and there.

Would've taken LeBlock or the Jenkins winner over Aaron Rodgers hail mary. Heck, I thought the hail mary vs ARI was better than the one vs DET anyways.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Cavs winning the best team. Shocking.

And then James wins best male athlete. What a surprise.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
John Cena was a pleasant surprise as host. Didn't know he had it in him. The James/Durant WWE face/heel analogy was spot on if you've ever followed wrestling during your younger days.

Didn't mind the James/Cleveland love-fest at all... the feel-good major sports story of the year and frankly Lebron's finals performance was one of the best of all-time.

Favourite part was Craig Sager's speech. What an inspiration he is.

ESPN shows Craig Sager’s fight against cancer in moving video at the ESPYS
Craig Sager gives emotional, inspiring speech after receiving the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Nova not winning best play on a 0:00 3 pointer to win a National title against a hail mary in a meaningless game is a travesty.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Nova not winning best play on a 0:00 3 pointer to win a National title against a hail mary in a meaningless game is a travesty.

Thats ridiculous that Villanova didn't win best play. You will probably never see a buzzer beater in a championship game like that again. What a joke.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
That suit my ***** P-Money was rocking was dope.

Good show. Craig Sager's speech and the amazing piece on Zaevion Dobson as well as the statement from LeBron and company to open the show, were the highlights.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
The writing could've been considerably better IMO but I felt like Cena did a really good job.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly

Thats ridiculous that Villanova didn't win best play. You will probably never see a buzzer beater in a championship game like that again. What a joke.

Little late to the game here, I know. But I was at the bar Wednesday night and this was on in the background and I was also kinda stunned that Nova didn't win best play. I said as much out loud to my fellow patrons, and then the gentleman next to me said something that rung true when I heard it.

ESPN/ABC carries the NFL, and CBS carries the NCAA tournament. That's the only thing I can think of that makes sense on how a never-before-seen 3 point buzzer-beater championship winning shot right after a ridiculous 3 point game tying shot (in a very exciting championship game, no less) loses to a hail mary in an NFL game in the beginning of December.

I get that the NFL is king, but it still feels fishy. I wouldn't be surprised if the vote tallies were fudged a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad