2016-2017 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
How would you guys rank the habs goalie prospects?

1. Charlie Lindgren
2. Michael McNiven
3. Cayden Primeau
4. Hayden Hawkey
5. Zach Fucale

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So, super early since seeing the rookie tournament and development camp will be soon, but I'm trying to wind down for bed. I'll post my current prospect top 25 rankings immediately post draft

1. Noah Juulsen
- Plays a pro style game, had a few good games at the AHL level. Don't think his offense developed much. Think he's a safe bet to be a player in the NHL. Probably lock in on the second pairing, playing top pairing PK and second unit PP.
2. Nikita Scherbak
- Still in a precarious position due to terrible development. Needs to get stronger and work on his defensive game. Is still the most tantalizing skill package in the entire prospect system.
3. Charles Hudon
- He isn't going back to the AHL, imo. I think he makes his way onto the 3rd line, playing a sound smart game, getting some PP time. Think he can still make it as a skilled guy that plays up and down the middle two lines.
4. Charlie Lindgren
- MVP of the AHL team. Showing starting goalie upside if he keeps progressing.
5. Michael McCarron
- He gets this high of a ranking because he's likely going to be an NHL player. Still a project, if they develop him smartly, he can still be that 3rd line guy who chips in, in front of the net.
6. Jake Evans
- Just a stellar season in the NCAA. Was wondering if he would turn pro, doesn't look like it. Look for him to build offensively, get stronger and come to the AHL at the end of this year. If his current trajectory continues, we may have a center in the system with some offensive upside. Smart player, great playmaker.
7. Martin Reway
- This can fall or rise at any moment. Let's see how he responds after missing an entire year due to illness. Skills wise, the most talented player in the organization. Scherbak has the better frame and doesn't have the illness to contest. Does the illness put a better head on his shoulders?
8. Victor Mete
- Size is going to be a factor. However, his skating is unreal, has a real mind for the game. Wish his shot was more powerful. Upside is definitely high if the NHL continues the way it is going, with an emphasis on puck pressure, pursuit and skating the puck out and in.
9. Joni Ikonen
- Potential to rocket up the boards. Skills, smarts, intensity, a ridiculous shot. We will see if he is Lehkonen or Collberg. Favorite pick of ours in the draft.
10. William Bitten
- Didn't produce as much as he should have last year. New team, new environment, had a weird slump. Liked his speed, his skill, hoping for more production this year and see if he can find his way onto the WJ team.
11. Josh Brook
- The flashes this kid has are actually pretty great, problem is consistency, potential to jump up big or fall down into the middle. Grant really likes him and I have to give Grant credit that he has a good eye for Defenseman.
12. Ryan Poehling
- Bash me all you want. He's gonna be higher on most people's lists. Show me you can do more than tip pucks and I will put this kid higher up the list. Safe pick and I'm dropping him spots for building a wall between our 25th pick and a player I liked better then trying to get me to pay for it.
13. Jacob De La Rose
- Development handled beyond terribly. 4th liner.
14. Brett Lernout
- We will see if he can carve out a career as a bottom pairing D man.
15. Zachary Fucale
- Is good when it counts. Find some consistency.
16. Michael McNiven
- Size is a bit of a concern for me. Let's see how he handles shooters at the next level before I put him higher on the list. Incredible year in the OHL.
17. Cayden Primeau
- Fell for god knows why. He has everything you want, just gotta find consistency, work on his glove hand (focus) and develop.
18. Scott Walford
- Like what I've read about him, didn't get to see much from him in the WHL. Upside pick considering what happened when given more responsibility at the end of the year.
19. Daniel Carr
- Giving him the benefit of the doubt, considering where he was just a couple seasons ago. If not, will drop like a stone.
20. Cale Fleury
- Were you -61 because your team sucked THAT bad and you were on the ice all the time? Or was that minus bigger because you're just not that good defensively at this level on top of your team being bad. Has skating and offensive skills. He's another guy who I am interested in tracking next year, after digesting the amount of defenseman picks this year.
21. Hayden Hawkey
- Got the starter role in the NCAA this year. Played well. Has to be better next year.
22. Jeremy Gregoire
- Fix your skating, please.
23. Jeremiah Addison
- Impressive Memorial Cup. Let's see if he can develop into a 4th liner who can chip in some offense.
24. Simon Bourque
- No outstanding tools. Let's see how he handles the AHL level.
25. Lukas Vejdemo
- Need a big jump of production in the SHL. Put up or shut up time.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
^This is a very exciting list of prospects :(

It's really lacking top end talent, mostly everyone in there projects as middle pairing D or middle line forwards.

It's really going to depend on the progression of these players, there are some there that certainly have the tools to look better than they do right now.

Problem is, my lack of faith in the development and coaching staffs.

Really think if we had changed staff a few years ago, Big Mac and Scherbak would be completely different prospects right now.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Probably wishful thinking on my part, but with the Steelheads owning Primeau's rights I would like to see him skip out on the NCAA and play in the OHL.

Chances are slim to none I'm guessing.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
So, super early since seeing the rookie tournament and development camp will be soon, but I'm trying to wind down for bed. I'll post my current prospect top 25 rankings immediately post draft

1. Noah Juulsen
- Plays a pro style game, had a few good games at the AHL level. Don't think his offense developed much. Think he's a safe bet to be a player in the NHL. Probably lock in on the second pairing, playing top pairing PK and second unit PP.
2. Nikita Scherbak
- Still in a precarious position due to terrible development. Needs to get stronger and work on his defensive game. Is still the most tantalizing skill package in the entire prospect system.
3. Charles Hudon
- He isn't going back to the AHL, imo. I think he makes his way onto the 3rd line, playing a sound smart game, getting some PP time. Think he can still make it as a skilled guy that plays up and down the middle two lines.
4. Charlie Lindgren
5. Michael McCarron
- He gets this high of a ranking because he's likely going to be an NHL player. Still a project, if they develop him smartly, he can still be that 3rd line guy who chips in, in front of the net.
6. Jake Evans
- Just a stellar season in the NCAA. Was wondering if he would turn pro, doesn't look like it. Look for him to build offensively, get stronger and come to the AHL at the end of this year. If his current trajectory continues, we may have a center in the system with some offensive upside. Smart player, great playmaker.
7. Martin Reway
- This can fall or rise at any moment. Let's see how he responds after missing an entire year due to illness. Skills wise, the most talented player in the organization. Scherbak has the better frame and doesn't have the illness to contest. Does the illness put a better head on his shoulders?
8. Victor Mete
- Size is going to be a factor. However, his skating is unreal, has a real mind for the game. Wish his shot was more powerful. Upside is definitely high if the NHL continues the way it is going, with an emphasis on puck pressure, pursuit and skating the puck out and in.
9. Joni Ikonen
- Potential to rocket up the boards. Skills, smarts, intensity, a ridiculous shot. We will see if he is Lehkonen or Collberg. Favorite pick of ours in the draft.
10. William Bitten
- Didn't produce as much as he should have last year. New team, new environment, had a weird slump. Liked his speed, his skill, hoping for more production this year and see if he can find his way onto the WJ team.
11. Josh Brook
- The flashes this kid has are actually pretty great, problem is consistency, potential to jump up big or fall down into the middle. Grant really likes him and I have to give Grant credit that he has a good eye for Defenseman.
12. Ryan Poehling
- Bash me all you want. He's gonna be higher on most people's lists. Show me you can do more than tip pucks and I will put this kid higher up the list. Safe pick and I'm dropping him spots for building a wall between our 25th pick and a player I liked better then trying to get me to pay for it.
13. Jacob De La Rose
14. Brett Lernout
15. Zachary Fucale
16. Michael McNiven
- Size is a bit of a concern for me. Let's see how he handles shooters at the next level before I put him higher on the list. Incredible year in the OHL.
17. Cayden Primeau
- Fell for god knows why. He has everything you want, just gotta find consistency, work on his glove hand (focus) and develop.
18. Scott Walford
- Like what I've read about him, didn't get to see much from him in the WHL. Upside pick considering what happened when given more responsibility at the end of the year.
19. Daniel Carr
- Giving him the benefit of the doubt, considering where he was just a couple seasons ago. If not, will drop like a stone.
20. Cale Fleury
- Were you -61 because your team sucked THAT bad and you were on the ice all the time? Or was that minus bigger because you're just not that good defensively at this level on top of your team being bad. Has skating and offensive skills. He's another guy who I am interested in tracking next year, after digesting the amount of defenseman picks this year.
21. Hayden Hawkey
- Got the starter role in the NCAA this year. Played well. Has to be better next year.
22. Jeremy Gregoire
23. Jeremiah Addison
- Impressive Memorial Cup. Let's see if he can develop into a 4th liner who can chip in some offense.
24. Simon Bourque
25. Lukas Vejdemo

Very nice round up.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm still high on Jake Evans to make the NHL. He just plays the pro game already

I've seen him like 3-4 times last year. I liked him every single time. He's got some bite to his game as well. Didn't shy away from any post-whistle scrums. But I see him going through the AHL first. I would imagine he's staying in the NCAA next year.

But I would like to see Habs sign him to an ELC soon. They still hold his rights for another year (they expire August 15, 2018).

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010

1. Noah Juulsen
2. Nikita Scherbak
3. Charles Hudon
4. Charlie Lindgren
5. Michael McCarron
6. Jake Evans
7. Martin Reway
8. Victor Mete
9. Joni Ikonen
10. William Bitten
11. Josh Brook
12. Ryan Poehling
13. Jacob De La Rose
14. Brett Lernout
15. Zachary Fucale
16. Michael McNiven
17. Cayden Primeau
18. Scott Walford
19. Daniel Carr
20. Cale Fleury
21. Hayden Hawkey
22. Jeremy Gregoire
23. Jeremiah Addison
24. Simon Bourque
25. Lukas Vejdemo

Cool, Thanks for the write up. Definitely lacking in high end talent, but we will see how things shake out. Im a huge Bitten fan, hopefully he turns into a top 6 guy.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

1. Noah Juulsen
2. Nikita Scherbak
3. Charles Hudon
4. Charlie Lindgren
5. Michael McCarron
6. Jake Evans
7. Martin Reway
8. Victor Mete
9. Joni Ikonen
10. William Bitten
11. Josh Brook
12. Ryan Poehling
13. Jacob De La Rose
14. Brett Lernout
15. Zachary Fucale
16. Michael McNiven
17. Cayden Primeau
18. Scott Walford
19. Daniel Carr
20. Cale Fleury
21. Hayden Hawkey
22. Jeremy Gregoire
23. Jeremiah Addison
24. Simon Bourque
25. Lukas Vejdemo

Amazing round up. I think Lindgren might actually be our top prospect when (or if) you combine NHL readiness atm and upside, I think he's our top guy imo. Juulsen makes a lot of sense.

I really really hope that McCarron stays in the AHL for the majority of the year. At least at the very beginning. I still have some faith. He has to work like a demon on his lower body strength. I'd still have him over Hudon and Scherbak only because he's a safer bet and still has some untapped upside but again totally understand why you have him lower. I'd probably have Mete a bit higher too.

Like you said I'd have Poehling higher but at the end of the day you could be right. Same with Ikonen he could be our top prospect sooner than later.

Kind of excited about Evans being rated as high as he has. It would be amazing if he could be a top 2 C but personally I don't think it happens. Obviously hope I'm wrong.

One small thing is I'd have Addison over Gregoire lol. Feel like Gregoire's NHL probabilities are pretty low right now while Addison's skating gives him the edge.

Again though fantastic work.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The number one factor dissuading me from purchasing a CHL online package: the egregious cameramen. They are just so, so terrible.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The number one factor dissuading me from purchasing a CHL online package: the egregious cameramen. They are just so, so terrible.

And to me, their camera work is better than the AHL. You ask me, for the 2nd most important league in North America, being home to future NHL'ers, the AHL comes off very bush league. Their website is ugly and needs a big re-design. The way their games' broadcasts are put together is a turn off. I actually feel like the CHL does a much better job with all of that than the AHL.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The CHL import draft is tomorrow, I'm curious to see if a team will try and get Ikonen's rights. I don't remember the CHL route ever being evoked in his case but it could always be an option at some point. Same with Poehling. They're both already in solid programs so a CHL team drafting them would be taking a risk obviously.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The CHL import draft is tomorrow, I'm curious to see if a team will try and get Ikonen's rights. I don't remember the CHL route ever being evoked in his case but it could always be an option at some point. Same with Poehling. They're both already in solid programs so a CHL team drafting them would be taking a risk obviously.

Ikonen said in his post draft interview that he'll be staying in Europe. But who knows, if he's having trouble cracking Frölunda's big roster I'm not sure why he'd want to play in SuperElit again. Maybe Lias Andersson and Grundström make their respective teams.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Ikonen said in his post draft interview that he'll be staying in Europe. But who knows, if he's having trouble cracking Frölunda's big roster I'm not sure why he'd want to play in SuperElit again. Maybe Lias Andersson and Grundström make their respective teams.

I fully expect him to be with Frolunda next year, I was just wondering if a CHL team would take a chance anyway. I'd like him to have the option if possible.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Thanks WTK.

I won't quote you another time. Too many times on this page.
Jake Evans: 9th in assists and 10th in points in NCAA.
I know he has been drafted three years ago but there is a constant progression and he has been drafted 207th:amazed:.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
My top 25:
1. Lindgren (most NHL ready and likely to reach upside IMO)
2. Mete (that skating makes him a guaranteed NHLer in my books)
3. Juulsen (him and Mete have similar ceilings but I think Mete is more of a sure bet due to his skating)
4. Hudon (nothing left to prove in the AHL, he has what it takes to be in the NHL, next season will tell us how much his skating with hurt him)
5. Evans (most underrated prospect in our prospect pool, I think he will be a middle six forward, hopefully he pans out unlike Kristo)
6. McNiven (unreal season in the OHL last year)
7. Poehling (not a sexy pick but he was ranked very high on multiple lists and sounds like a sure bet to be a third line center in most scenarios)
8. McCarron (still feel the upside is there but last year after a promising camp was somewhat of a step back for him, of the 31 games he played for us last year, only 1/4 were good I'd say, really puzzled as to what's next for him)
9. Scherbak (last season was a step forward in terms of play, still has long ways to go, this season will be crucial for him and his development)
10. Brook (sounds like a future top 4D no nonsense a la Juulsen)
11. Ikonen (will need to keep a close eye on him at the next WJC, don't know a ton about him)
12. Lernout (showed some nice things in his call-up, very confident that he'll turn into an NHLer under CJ)
13. Reway (still our most talented prospect but with the year off, really curious on how he'll fare in his return, don't recall many if any prospect bouncing back after a write off like that)
14. Bitten (last season was a bit of a disappointment, he took a while to get going and his production went down)
15. De La Rose (jury is still out and we've messed up his development, has had some nice stretches in the last two years, still unsure if that means anything)
16. Addison (I feel this kid will make the NHL like White did, might not be a world's beater but he will make it. Plays a smart efficient game and didn't look out of place at last year's camp after most teams had their full roster)
17. Bourque (Took some huge steps forward this season in the Q, let's see how he responds to the pro level)
18. Fleury (Very interesting tools, suffered from being on a **** team like Bitten, not very optimistic in our management to help him develop)
19. Fucale (Excellent in the ECHL but the clock is ticking)
20. Hawkey (Nice season in the NCAA, is 22 though, we'll see what Waite can do with this kid)
21. Walford (Interesting prospect)
22. Primeau (Lots of interesting tools, will be a prospect to keep tabs on going forward)
23. Carr (Had upside at some point, before the injury, did show glimpses of the swagger he had when on a line with Terry and Mac but I think he's been surpassed on the depth chart)
24. Gregoire (Was a huge fan of his but ultimately doesn't have the skating to be anyting more than a bottom sixer at the AHL level, a total shame)
25. Vejdemo (Took a big step back this season)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Thanks WTK.

I won't quote you another time. Too many times on this page.
Jake Evans: 9th in assists and 10th in points in NCAA.
I know he has been drafted three years ago but there is a constant progression and he has been drafted 207th:amazed:.

he had a heck of a year and got better as the season went on. If he's going back to Notre Dame, he's going to have to carry a heavy load now that they lost their 2 best players. Could be a tough year for them as they move from the Hockey East conference to the Big 10.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Cale Fleury: Note that Kotenay Ice GF = 177, GA = 335
Difference = 158 goals...

Their d-men: -61, -46, -42, -42, -36, -27, -11, -10.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Good to see someone realistic enough to put Fucale ahead of McNiven. Fucale just turned 22. Lindgren was still in college at that age. Fucale won the Spengler Cup last year and was great in the playoffs with Brampton. He needs to bring that level every game in the regular season.

DeLaRose is underrated. He finally showed some offense in the second half of last year. Will be for sur a good third line player with size at maturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->