2016/2017 AUS Predictions

ProjectAUS

Mar 6, 2011
Moncton, NB
Hey guys,

Now that most teams have released their recruiting classes, and the September 9th start date is getting closer. Let's have your before the pre-season predictions as to how the AUS is going to look this year.

1. StFX - The defending AUS champs brought in one hell of a recruiting class. They are going to be extremely skilled and hard to play against. Their top six is returning, and this team tasted a National championship last year. I believe that this may be Peddle's year.

2. UNB - These guys are going to be a great team once again. It was hard to place X above them, as these teams could easily flip-flop. However, I think a bit of a championship hangover may effect this team, and result in them finishing in second this year. (Plus having to go to X three times in the new system, may be the difference.)

3. ACA - Lost key components but brought in some talent, a lot of returners as well. Will still be a strong competitor.

4. UPEI - Excellent work recruiting this year, I think this team will be improved, and if Parks is able to play steady as he has and avoid injury, I think this could be a great season for PEI.

5. SMU - Lost some big players this past year. Their recruiting class in my opinion does not bring in the grit and talent to replace some of the big guns that they lost and I believe the Huskies are in for a rebuild year.

6. DAL - The Tigers showed massive signs of improvement last year! I think this year, if they play the same way they did last year, that they could maybe find themselves in the playoffs for the first time in awhile. Personally cheering for this to happen.

7. UdeM - This team has proved over the last two years that a hot start can hurt a team. These guys will probably fly out of the gate and open 5-0-0 only to lose 9 straight. I think that this team is in need of an overhaul after being a mid-level team for the last few year if they want to return to the glory days.

AUS Champions: UNB over X in 3 games. Both go to the big dance, and maybe a role reversal of last year occurs in Fredericton in March.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I've never done well at this (but I did nail the OUA playoff pool last season though - woo hoo).

1. UNB - You basically have the entire team back with a lot of experience and depth. Regardless of each team's recruits (and UNB's are as strong as everyone else's and they don't have to rely on them to deliver day-one) they roll to a Pennant regardless of 3 trips to X. Home Ice through the playoffs is a dress rehearsal to hosting the UCup.

2. SFX - Their WHL recruits work harder than everyone else's recruits and they cruise to 2nd despite having 9. UNB got to the finals in 2015 with 8, could SFX turn the trick in 2017?

3. UdeM - they finally have a season where they remain healthy and win some barn burners. The 'flying frenchmen' return.

4. Acadia - The AUS team with the 3rd least number of recruits (5 which is 1 more than UDeM and 2 more than UNB). The Olympic Ice gives them an advantage - if you have the skaters to take advantage of it. They have choked the past few seasons and not enough has changed (roster roll-over) for me to see that moniker changing. They've led at the Christmas break 2 or 3 years in a row and have yet to end the season 1st.

5. UPEI - Parks plays well and the recruits chip in and they take fifth on the strength of an excellent home record.

6. SMU - too many MJHL recruits which require some time to acclimatize to the AUS game. They'll be over 500, but just and will win their games against DAL to give them a solid hold on 6th.

7. DAL - too many new recruits to merge into the mix and they take too long to get going and fall short. Plus, who do they dethrone?

UNB and SFX to the UCup - UNB vs USK in the finals - UNB wins at home and back-2-back.

my 1000th + 2 posting :)

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
Just a question. I see both of you listing Parks for UPEI. I thought he was in his 5th year last year and signed an ECHL contract in the spring??

Finder24

Dec 22, 2015
Yeah, Mavric Parks has graduated the UPEI, so Matt Mahalak will more than likely be their guy in 2016-17.

I'm gonna wait about a week to make predictions. SMU, and possibly Acadia, still have game changing announcements that may come down the pipe + nobody knows for sure yet if DAL will get Chad Duchesne or Danny Moynihan.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Probably too early for me to make predictions, but here's my first draft.

1. UNB. As mentioned, only lose three players and look to have been replaced by quality recruits. Most of the young guys have now played in two University Cup championship games. And they're hosting, so more than a little motivation to "come in the front door".

2. Acadia. Solid team last year that faded down the stretch. Look like they have good recruits that will maybe get them over the hump.

3. StFX. Great recruiting class, but because they've had a huge turnover. Losing game-stealer Owsley in nets is huge. If they don't gel quickly, I could even see them in fourth place.

4. SMU. Always in the hunt. Good recruiting it appears.

5. UdeM. If they stay healthy.

6. UPEI. I could see them finish as high as 4th, but not having Parks to steal games will hurt.

7. Dal. Continually improving, but have they passed anyone yet?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Hard not to pick UNB with such a low turnover and quality replacements for those who did finish out their careers. They certainly looked good vs UPEI in their first exhibition game.

Toss up between St FX and Acadia, but think that St FX had a better recruiting year and think they are a strong playoff team.

Acadia, they just seem to fade when the playoffs come around.

St Mary's, will be a season battle for fourth with them and Moncton I believe.

Moncton, always so unpredictable.

UPEI, they didn't look very good vs UNB, and the loss of Parks will hurt them. Big shoes to fill there.

Dal, don't see them making very much of an improvement.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Since it's the eve of the regular season I figured I would do my predictions:

1) UNB - Like I say every year, the team to beat until proven otherwise. If anything the longer regular season makes it even more likely they finish in the top spot.

2) St. FX - Lost a lot of talent, but had maybe the best recruiting class in the conference. We all like to get on Peddle for his outbursts, but no denying the quality of players he brings in year after year.

3) Acadia - The loss of Cazzola and Franko hurts, but solid recruiting class. Although they have faded the last couple of years they have still been at or near the top of the standings for the first 1/2 - 2/3 of the season. Might come down to the goaltending.

4) SMU - They always get the most of their players, probably to the point where you can say they overachieve at times. Think they are just a step below the top three, especially with so much turnover.

5) PEI - Like the past number of years I still think there is a gap between the top 4 teams and everyone else, but UPEI's recruiting may have shrunk that difference a bit. I don't think the loss of Parks will have as much impact as many think as Mahalak was by far the better goalie last year.

6) Moncton - Always good for an entertaining game, but I don't know if they have the same kind of depth as the teams ahead of them.

7) Dal - Getting better and closing the gap. Should battle Moncton tough for the last playoff spot but I think they fall just short again.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I have to concur.

1 - UNB
2 - STFX
3 - Acadia
4 - SMU
5 - UPEI
6 - Moncton
7 - DAL

I think there will be three battles this year. The VReds and X for first. The Axemen and Huskies for third. The Panthers and Les Aigles for fifth. Don't see the Tigers factoring in.

I would have the Axemen challenging for second but I think the unexpected loss of Franko will hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad