2016-17 WHL Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
How do you think your favorite WHL team will do this season?

What is their strengths and weakest. What moves do you see them making to address their weaknesses?

I think Brandon will be a playoff team though not as powerful as they were last season. Hopefully Provorov returns. If Reid Duke returns for his overage season I think he's going to have a big year.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Not expecting too much from Spokane this year but keeping the playoff streak going would be nice. Goaltending was a weakness last year but Sittler seems like he'll fill that role well. Backup/future starter remains a big question mark. Inexperience might be the biggest weakness this year with so many rookies joining the team but they'll also add some needed skill. I'm expecting defense to be another weakness with Fram leaving and rookies coming in.

A few new players to watch: Kousal(2017 draft), Smith(2018), Morrisseau(2018), Zummack(2018)

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Royals have some big holes to fill (especially Hicketts), but their scoring depth was excellent last year. I'm guessing playoffs but I doubt there'll be another 50-win season this year.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Royals have some big holes to fill (especially Hicketts), but their scoring depth was excellent last year. I'm guessing playoffs but I doubt there'll be another 50-win season this year.

Hicketts is a huge blow but they did survive more or less without him for a stretch in the playoffs.

It's the two centres missing that concern me,...Forsberg and Fisher.....

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Hicketts is a huge blow but they did survive more or less without him for a stretch in the playoffs.

It's the two centres missing that concern me,...Forsberg and Fisher.....

The BC division is gonna be a dog fight. IMO any of the top4 teams have a shot at coming out on top.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
Kamloops Blazers fan checking in... and agreeing that the BC Division is going to be nuts this year.

As for the Blazers... the question is can we score. Kamloops has one of the best (if not the best) goaltender in Ingram. Only short term downside will be likely losing him to the World Juniors.

Was shocked by the Kryski for Gatenby brothers deal as we were solid on the blueline and now it is just ridiculous. Vallentyne, J. Gatenby, second year Euro import Vala, Davidson, and Kneen are likely certain. McDonald and Reagan have experience from last year and D. Gatenby is due for tenure in the league. Then, we have 16 year old and Canada U17 player Zazula who despite being very small is quite slick. They also added a kid oit of Regina who is reportedly shocking everyone.

So... my question... which team is looking for blueline help and has forwards to move?

Up front we have Shirley, Sideroff, and Pilon anticipated to do the majority of the work. Balcers (new Euro) appears ready to chip in... but I am not sure we can rely on Revel and Chyzowski to contribute much more beyond last years totals.

I do anticipate Loewen (the smiling monster added another inch and 15 pounds) do be vastly improved and he crushed the intersquad game... but we need help up front unless we rely on our Goals Against to save us.

Right now.. I see big bodies. Good transition. Amazing goaltending. But, not a lot of goals.

Prediction (both wild cards come from BC Division and the team that finishes 4th and gets the US winner will be in a great spot to move forward to the West final):

1) PG (built for this year)
2) Kelowna (gaps seem filled)
3) Kamloops (with a trade can move up)
4) Victoria (can the supporting cast find stars?)
5) Vancouver (will be much better but not enough)

Last edited:

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
2016-17 Season

If Provorov doesn't come back to Brandon. Brandon needs a quality defensemen import or not. Just not a 20 year old.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
One really, really bad period for the Giants. 19-5 Everett shots in the 1st period. 18-14 Giants the rest of the way. Giants were probably losing between 80-90% of puck battles along the boards of the 1st, probably 50/50 the rest of the way.

Dawson Holt really stood out.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Not a great start for Vancouver, that's for sure.

PG was able to take 4 points off the island, KAM and KEL split their series with 2 big wins. Crazy start to the BC divison.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Zwerger traded to the Silvertips today so I think the Chiefs are set on overagers and imports now.

Looked up pictures from the Brandon-Moose Jaw fog game. Never seen something like that before lol

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Zwerger traded to the Silvertips today so I think the Chiefs are set on overagers and imports now.

Looked up pictures from the Brandon-Moose Jaw fog game. Never seen something like that before lol

Good trade for Everett. Sad to see Mucka get waived however.

The fog game was insane. They eventually got it somewhat under control but the first 10-15 minutes you could hardly see a thing. :laugh:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not a great start for Vancouver, that's for sure.

PG was able to take 4 points off the island, KAM and KEL split their series with 2 big wins. Crazy start to the BC divison.

Really liking this start. Hopefully this is the telling signs of big years from McDonald and MacAuley.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Really liking this start. Hopefully this is the telling signs of big years from McDonald and MacAuley.

I'll be the first to say...Didn't think MacAuley would be worth a 20 spot, especially not on a team that has to win this year. Good on him though, if he can keep up the points, he could absolutely be worth it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'll be the first to say...Didn't think MacAuley would be worth a 20 spot, especially not on a team that has to win this year. Good on him though, if he can keep up the points, he could absolutely be worth it.

If he can produce he will definitely be worth keeping since he brings a lot to the table away from the puck too. He needs to produce now though to be worth keeping as a 20.

I'm also excited about the new coaching staff. Hope they can keep the room all on the same page and to buy into the system.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
In defense of the Giants, they have 6 players at NHL camps, while Foster and Baer were out injured. Would like to think they would have snagged one of two vs Everett if they had a full line up. Not expecting them to contend for the division or anything, but hard to really gauge them without a full line up.

Hordichuk_24

In defense of the Giants, they have 6 players at NHL camps, while Foster and Baer were out injured. Would like to think they would have snagged one of two vs Everett if they had a full line up. Not expecting them to contend for the division or anything, but hard to really gauge them without a full line up.

It's a fair point but it still doesn't address their defensive problems. Most of the key players they are missing are forwards. Basically their top line and Bondra. Skeoch would've helped especially considering Everett forwards were able to stand around the net uncontested for the most part. With Skeoch playing that wouldn't have been so easy. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying missing those players doesn't make a big difference. But my point is even with a full roster their defense is bad. That is going to be a real eye sore until another trade is made. And even at that it might still be pretty bad. We will have to wait and see.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's a fair point but it still doesn't address their defensive problems. Most of the key players they are missing are forwards. Basically their top line and Bondra. Skeoch would've helped especially considering Everett forwards were able to stand around the net uncontested for the most part. With Skeoch playing that wouldn't have been so easy. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying missing those players doesn't make a big difference. But my point is even with a full roster their defense is bad. That is going to be a real eye sore until another trade is made. And even at that it might still be pretty bad. We will have to wait and see.

Good points.

I think for this year, I'm blaming Bonner for everything, and hope for better next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad