2016-17 roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Lowry is SO MUCH worse offensively than both Little and Ehlers though...

He’s relatively good around the net and adds some size to dig the puck out of the corners. He had almost as many shots from the high danger areas last year as Perreault or Ehlers.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Lowry is SO MUCH worse offensively than both Little and Ehlers though...

He's definitely better offensively on the wing. No idea why they don't just put him there. It's not like we have modern sophisticated systems where players can adjust based on the zone they are in.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Just for size consideration, pairing Ehlers with Laine and Connor with Wheeler pairs a big (6'5 210+) winger with a smaller (6'1 175+) winger. Though pairing Connor with Laine and Ehlers with Wheeler would do the same thing. :D. Really like the possible combinations.

Just need a big (6'3 210+) 200 ft, LH C (ideally, from Tempere Finland) to round out the top 6. :D

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Just for size consideration, pairing Ehlers with Laine and Connor with Wheeler pairs a big (6'5 210+) winger with a smaller (6'1 175+) winger. Though pairing Connor with Laine and Ehlers with Wheeler would do the same thing. :D. Really like the possible combinations.

I'd prefer to not have 2 youngsters on the same line, to keep all of them on their natural sides and to make sure they all have quality line mates.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you see Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers as a real possibility - with four seasons if experience between them? I'm not buying that as a top option for coach.

I don't know that I like the idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if Stafford slid back into the top six.

Something like:

Laine Little Wheeler
Ehlers Scheifele Stafford
Connor Perreault Dano

Lowry Copp Armia

I honestly wouldn't be stunned to see Connor land in the AHL either. Chevy did say waiver eligibility would play a role in shaping the roster.

EDIT

Peluso, Thor, Burmi and Lipon are the other waivers guys.

I think we see Laine-Scheif-Ehlers at some point as that is the future. Again I think Laine is far beyond what most 18 y/o being defensively responsible. He played a year of pro hockey in a good pro league even managing winning the championship and being the MVP in the playoffs. Then he played on a strong defensive team in the WHC. He has been exposed to to being defensively responsible at the highest level. Ehlers showed a real willingness to be defensively responsible as a rookie. And Scheif is turning into a 2-way beast. I think the are matched up #2 but no need to shelter. My call on the lineup seems to change day by day, but to start the season I see:

MP-Little-Wheeler
Laine-Scheif-Ehlers
Connor-Burmi-Dano
Some combination of: Tanev/Lowry/Copp/Armia/Thor

Petan back to the A.

Oh yeah I traded Stafford at the draft.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
What I think we start season with:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Little-Stafford
Connor-Perreault-Dano
Lowry-Copp-Thorburn
Armia

Burmi dealt. Petan, Tanev, Lemieux with Moose.

What I hope to see by seasons end:

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Dano
Lemieux-Copp-Armia
Thorburn

Stafford traded at the TD.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I find Chevy's comment that they would like to find another top 9 forward either by trade or FA (a fit like MP), interesting.

Top 9 forwards:
Assuming none of these players are moved, there are 7 spots taken with Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Little, MP, Stafford, and most likely Laine.

Add Lowry, Burmi, Connor and Dano as strong candidates too, and that's 11 players for 9 spots. Leaving Petan, Copp, Thorburn and Armia looking at 4th line roles.

Curious why they would be considering adding another top 6-9 guy. Laine is that guy, Imo. And they still need to move a guy or two, or start Connor with the Moose.

Chevy wants to upgrade an area? Let's start with a LH dman or two and a backup goalie for Hellebuyck.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I find Chevy's comment that they would like to find another top 9 forward either by trade or FA (a fit like MP), interesting.

Top 9 forwards:
Assuming none of these players are moved, there are 7 spots taken with Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Little, MP, Stafford, and most likely Laine.

Add Lowry, Burmi, Connor and Dano as strong candidates too, and that's 11 players for 9 spots. Leaving Petan, Copp, Thorburn and Armia looking at 4th line roles.

Curious why they would be considering adding another top 6-9 guy. Laine is that guy, Imo. And they still need to move a guy or two, or start Connor with the Moose.

Chevy wants to upgrade an area? Let's start with a LH dman or two and a backup goalie for Hellebuyck.

I'd love to see an upgrade on Stafford. It might come from within (Dano? Armia?), but if not, maybe that's where they could make a move.

If Chevy is looking at a FA acquisition at forward, I expect that he'll be looking to more one or two forwards in a trade. If they go for a FA forward, I would think it would have to be a clear upgrade. Not sure there are many of those around.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
When I think of Lowry's hands, I think of Ray.
I think of Jim Kyte :)

But honestly, I think Lowry is going to turn out to be a quality NHLer. Just might take a little longer than some other guys to really find his way. Until he does well, he's cheap, innit?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I can't get rid of my fear of Laine being played as RW, especially on his rookie year, I guess it's from Jets seeing him as Rw at the Worlds and there being so few right handed Lw players.

I need draft weekend and start hearing some rumours about this :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I can't get rid of my fear of Laine being played as RW, especially on his rookie year, I guess it's from Jets seeing him as Rw at the Worlds and there being so few right handed Lw players.

This will be interesting. Maurice is not reluctant to play wingers on their off-side, but it will depend on the depth chart. I think the main issue might be where Ehlers plays. If he stays on LW, there is going to be a bit of a log-jam there:

LW: Ehlers, Perreault, Laine, Connor, (Dano), (Petan), (Lemieux)
RW: Wheeler, Dano, Stafford, Armia,

I'd love to see Ehlers back on RW, in which case I think we're more likely to see Laine on LW.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
This will be interesting. Maurice is not reluctant to play wingers on their off-side, but it will depend on the depth chart. I think the main issue might be where Ehlers plays. If he stays on LW, there is going to be a bit of a log-jam there:

I'd love to see Ehlers back on RW, in which case I think we're more likely to see Laine on LW.

Dano should never play LW. He struggles there almost as much as Stafford.

Also you're missing Lowry, Burmi and Copp, who are all Cs that can play LW. And there is a bit of a logjam there as well

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary

Been reported that Ladd most likely won't be rejoining the hawks and has not ruled out a return to the jets. :sarcasm:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I'm hoping for #2Lw spot for Laine.

He has build his game around left side, he's much more effective there, his shot and moves are much more dangerous from his offside, and even if we look at the Worlds he was at his best when he was playing on the left side.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Top 9 forwards:

Trade 2 or 3 of Dano/Armia/Stafford/Lowry/Burmi for a Stafford upgrade, and then you also solve the logjam problem.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trade 2 or 3 of Dano/Armia/Stafford/Lowry/Burmi for a Stafford upgrade, and then you also solve the logjam problem.

The logjam isn't a problem. That's like saying go out and spend because you have a problem of too much money. We already have the upgrade on Stafford. You would spend the assets that could be used to solve an actual problem.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The logjam isn't a problem. That's like saying go out and spend because you have a problem of too much money. We already have the upgrade on Stafford. You would spend the assets that could be used to solve an actual problem.

Agreed. Unless it is a big upgrade why move so many nice young prospects before you truley know what you have.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Maurice will bounce the wingers around as necessary. When it becomes apparent Laine is much better from the LW I'd expect him to primarily line up there. Especially considering Wheeler has 1 top 6 RW spot locked in stone.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maurice will bounce the wingers around as necessary. When it becomes apparent Laine is much better from the LW I'd expect him to primarily line up there. Especially considering Wheeler has 1 top 6 RW spot locked in stone.

And add to that the fact Ehlers will end up with the other one.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And add to that the fact Ehlers will end up with the other one.

Agreed. Ehlers seems to prefer the right but he was effective from both sides. But assuming we pick Laine you'd want to free up his big shot as much as possible. And since both Scheif and Little are right hand shots LW is best set up for onetime tee-ups.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don't think Maurice will start Connor or Laine against the other team's top checking line so I think he will start with Ehlers Scheif and Wheeler...I'd rather see...

Ehlers-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Scheif-Laine
Copp-MP-Armia
Lemieux-Lowry-Staf

Enstrom Trouba
Chiarot Buff
Stuart (face it) Myers

Helle Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events