2016-17 roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Little nervous about putting Connor with lo8wer QoT though.

I had some good talks with a few hockey guys about how teams do sheltering wrong, sheltering the lesser impact and controllable variable (QoC) and not caring about the larger one (QoT).

Well if he playes on the third with Dano and a Burmie who resembles his second half of last year performance there shouldn't be any issue with the calibre of his linemates. If he's with Stafford and Lowry, well that would be another matter.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Little nervous about putting Connor with lower QoT though.

I had some good talks with a few hockey guys about how teams do sheltering wrong, sheltering the lesser impact and controllable variable (QoC) and not caring about the larger one (QoT).

So are you in favour of both of them in the top 6? That seems really risky to me, especially when it means Perreault is on the third line. I think his real value is a top 6 winger, especially because he's our only veteran LW that has proven he can't handle tough match ups.

I think Perreault will play with Wheeler, and whoever centers them will be given the #1 match ups.

Now that we have Laine I don't think it's terrible if Connor has to start on the Moose. It might be best for his development rather than playing with Dano/Burmi/Petan/whoever in a third line role

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Everyone sees tough matchups no matter where they are on the roster. There's a huge difference though of who is on the ice with you when you have those matchups.

Like I often point out with Myers and Trouba, who had it tougher? The guy who sees top lines 5% more or the guy who spends half his ice time with Stuart instead of Enstrom.

I'm not afraid of 2 rookies in the top 6, although I'd be nervous about 2 on the same line.

I'm far more nervous for Connor playing with Burmi and Dano/Stafford and we get first 3/4 Burmi and not last 1/4 Burmi, rather than having Connor play an extra 1 min against top lines but with Jets' best players.

It is true though that if Burmi-Dano keep up their chemistry and play from the backend of last season, we should be fine and my nerves are for nothing. Guess I'm overly cautious.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Laine-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers
Petan-MP-Dano
Lowry-Copp-Burmi
Armia-Thorburn

Trouba-Buff
Toby-Myers
JoMo-Postma
Stuart

Hellebyuck
Pav

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Everyone sees tough matchups no matter where they are on the roster. There's a huge difference though of who is on the ice with you when you have those matchups.

Like I often point out with Myers and Trouba, who had it tougher? The guy who sees top lines 5% more or the guy who spends half his ice time with Stuart instead of Enstrom.

I'm not afraid of 2 rookies in the top 6, although I'd be nervous about 2 on the same line.

I'm far more nervous for Connor playing with Burmi and Dano/Stafford and we get first 3/4 Burmi and not last 1/4 Burmi, rather than having Connor play an extra 1 min against top lines but with Jets' best players.

It is true though that if Burmi-Dano keep up their chemistry and play from the backend of last season, we should be fine and my nerves are for nothing. Guess I'm overly cautious.
I really like the idea of both of them in the top 6, but...

I am not sure if coach will want Ehlers and a rook on the same line either. It will also be interesting to see the combos and whether or not sharing size comes into play.

It may not, but many coaches seem to think that way.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I really like the idea of both of them in the top 6, but...

I am not sure if coach will want Ehlers and a rook on the same line either. It will also be interesting to see the combos and whether or not sharing size comes into play.

It may not, but many coaches seem to think that way.

I think we will see Laine far more NHL ready than is typical for an 18 y/o rookie. Playing in the FEL and at the WHC is a lot different that racking up points against teenagers in the CHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well if he playes on the third with Dano and a Burmie who resembles his second half of last year performance there shouldn't be any issue with the calibre of his linemates. If he's with Stafford and Lowry, well that would be another matter.

I think Stafford is the worst winger to play with. He needs to have other strong players to carry him. I think it would be mistake to play a rookie like Connor or Laine with him, unless they show very early on that they are very effective.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think we will see Laine far more NHL ready than is typical for an 18 y/o rookie. Playing in the FEL and at the WHC is a lot different that racking up points against teenagers in the CHL.

Do you see Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers as a real possibility - with four seasons if experience between them? I'm not buying that as a top option for coach.

I don't know that I like the idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if Stafford slid back into the top six.

Something like:

Laine Little Wheeler
Ehlers Scheifele Stafford
Connor Perreault Dano

Lowry Copp Armia

I honestly wouldn't be stunned to see Connor land in the AHL either. Chevy did say waiver eligibility would play a role in shaping the roster.

EDIT

Peluso, Thor, Burmi and Lipon are the other waivers guys.

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Laine-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers
Petan-MP-Dano
Lowry-Copp-Burmi
Armia-Thorburn

Trouba-Buff
Toby-Myers
JoMo-Postma
Stuart

Hellebyuck
Pav

I don't see why all 3 of Copp Lowry and Burmi have to have a spot on the opening night team considering they are all very similar players who can kill penalties but don't bring much offence. I would put Armia in that line up and take out one of Lowry/Copp/Burmi

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

:tinker: Lineup 2016/2017 :jets
Laine Little Ehlers
Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Perreault Burmistrov Stafford
Dano Lowry Thorburn​

I'd go something like this. Perreault and Laine & Connor can move up and down as required.

Perreault Little Ehlers
Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Laine Burmistrov Dano
Lowry Copp Armia

or
Laine Little Ehlers
Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Perreault Petan Armia
Lowry Burmistrov Dano

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd go something like this. Perreault and Laine & Connor can move up and down as required.

Perreault Little Ehlers
Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Laine Burmistrov Dano
Lowry Copp Armia

or
Laine Little Ehlers
Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Perreault Petan Armia
Lowry Burmistrov Dano

Burmi would be just about the last player you'd want with a trigger man like Laine. Can you imagine the frustration when Laine is wide open at the top of the circle as Burmi stick handles into traffic. I'd like to see Laine-Scheif-Ehlers get time together as one day soon they will be the big 3.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Perreault Little Ehlers
Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Laine Burmistrov Dano
Lowry Copp Armia

or
Laine Little Ehlers
Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Perreault Petan Armia
Lowry Burmistrov Dano

I like your second line-up much better than the first. I don't like Laine or Connor getting squelched by Burmi. I think Perreault and Dano would do better with Burmi.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Well... IF we get old (+last 1/4) Burmi, it wouldn't be so bad. A guy who likes to shoot has done well with him before:
article_03667465-8f27-4ace-8ac1-14ec39f2e273.png

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I think Wheeler is the perfect guy to play with Laine his speed pushes the D back and creates openings for his winger and he is very good at getting the puck across the ice in the o zone.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You're right! Though the same could be said of Ehlers

I love the concept of Ehlers with Laine. Ehlers opens up ice and is a very good passer with great offensive instincts. Either Scheifele or Little would be good at C.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Garret, analytically speaking, what would the Jets best lineup be in your opinion? Your recent Postma numbers was a bit of an eye opener. Obviously this would ask for some guesswork in regards to new guys entering the lineup. But am curious what the numbers say would be our optimal roster.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Little nervous about putting Connor with lower QoT though.

I’m not sure if Lowry is up to it but I’d try
Laine – Scheifele – Wheeler
Lowry – Little – Ehlers
Connor – Perreault – Stafford
Armia – Burmistrov – Dano

There is no obvious line to play against the toughest competition, but there is some balance in both skill and size and the opportunity to use the 4th line a lot more.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't see why all 3 of Copp Lowry and Burmi have to have a spot on the opening night team considering they are all very similar players who can kill penalties but don't bring much offence. I would put Armia in that line up and take out one of Lowry/Copp/Burmi

I'm okay with that.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I’m not sure if Lowry is up to it but I’d try
Laine – Scheifele – Wheeler
Lowry – Little – Ehlers
Connor – Perreault – Stafford
Armia – Burmistrov – Dano

There is no obvious line to play against the toughest competition, but there is some balance in both skill and size and the opportunity to use the 4th line a lot more.

Lowry is SO MUCH worse offensively than both Little and Ehlers though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->