2016-17 OUA Men's Hockey Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I didn't think they were all that great either year they hosted. Didn't they change coaches in between their two hosting years? That was the turning point IMO...they haven't really been a national contender since.

I was there both years and they weren't great. If I recall they fired McKee after year 1 and hired Sherban.

Matter of fact, they were the host team in year 1 after losing early in the playoffs and tried to get SMU ranked ahead of UofA in order to avoid being in the "group of death" with UNB and UofA.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
1938. I did not know that the colisee was that old. Might be the oldest rink in the CIS. Although I know the Saskatchewan Huskies plan in a very old barn as well.

Are there any plans on building a new arena?
Yes, there are plans to build a new 5000 seats rink in Trois-Rivières.

Will the Patriotes play in it? Nope. They'll stay at the old barn where no one wants to go anymore.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Congrats to Gibby and Marty for the Bronze Medal win. Two AUS grads...

Bronze is about where they should've been. RUS & KAZ both had current and ex-KHL players in their lineups, and everybody else was notably weaker. Really cool to see players and coaches I've covered and ridden buses with wearing the maple leaf. :handclap:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
connor, I was in Turino in 2007 when the AUS won Gold. Fantastic experience and a real pleasure to be around players from teams other than your own all working for a common goal.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Well maybe they can finally host Nationals in that new rink?

They did host Nationls before, when it was just 4 teams in 1984. They were the 'host' and as such the OUA and AUAA champions (UoT and UNB) had to play a Regional Qualifier to eliminate a team.

Along with UQTR and UoT there was Alberta (Western Champion) and Concordia (OQUAF - or something like that. It is now known as OUA-East).

UQTR played UoT in a two game best of two, UofT won both games 6-1 & 8-3. While ALB & COR tied both games 2-2 and 3-3. Concordia won the mini tie-breaker game (held after game 2) 2-0. UoT won the title in a single elimination game over CON 9-1. It was UoT's last title.

But you wouldn't consider using this building today for Nationals.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"UQTR played UoT in a two game best of two, winning both games 6-1 & 8-3. While ALB & COR tied both games 2-2 and 3-3. Concordia won the mini tie-breaker game (held after game 2) 2-0. UoT won the title in a single elimination game over CON 9-1. It was UoT's last title."

I detect a typo or some kind of gremlins at work here. I'll assume UotT won both games with UQTR?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
"UQTR played UoT in a two game best of two, winning both games 6-1 & 8-3. While ALB & COR tied both games 2-2 and 3-3. Concordia won the mini tie-breaker game (held after game 2) 2-0. UoT won the title in a single elimination game over CON 9-1. It was UoT's last title."

I detect a typo or some kind of gremlins at work here. I'll assume UotT won both games with UQTR?

Correct - a typo

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
OUA playoffs

Ryerson has dominated the OUA West. Their stats are impressive, you would think that they should be a player at the University Cup?
York, also with a very good regular season could be a player. They also played a 2 game set with UNB during the break
The East may be difficult to predict, there is more than just McGill, UQTR and Carelton, as Concordia and Queens are in the mix. UQTR will have to do it on the road to advance.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Ryerson has dominated the OUA West. Their stats are impressive, you would think that they should be a player at the University Cup?
York, also with a very good regular season could be a player. They also played a 2 game set with UNB during the break
The East may be difficult to predict, there is more than just McGill, UQTR and Carelton, as Concordia and Queens are in the mix. UQTR will have to do it on the road to advance.

Ryerson has had a number of lopsided wins against west division teams and their record speaks for itself - they have been the class of the division. But they have not fared well against the top teams - 0-1-1 against York, losses to UQTR, Concordia, and Carleton, and an OT win against McGill. In this view, their record looks a lot like the fat regular season records Western put up for so many years, who were also often less successful against other top teams but comfortably beat everyone else.

I hadn't realized it until I just looked at their schedule, but somehow Ryerson ended up having to do two trips into Quebec and one trip in to Ottawa this year, so they can be cut some slack for that (on the other hand, they didn't have to go to Thunder Bay or Sudbury/North Bay).

A York/Ryerson West final would be a good one.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Ryerson has had a number of lopsided wins against west division teams and their record speaks for itself - they have been the class of the division. But they have not fared well against the top teams - 0-1-1 against York, losses to UQTR, Concordia, and Carleton, and an OT win against McGill. In this view, their record looks a lot like the fat regular season records Western put up for so many years, who were also often less successful against other top teams but comfortably beat everyone else.

I hadn't realized it until I just looked at their schedule, but somehow Ryerson ended up having to do two trips into Quebec and one trip in to Ottawa this year, so they can be cut some slack for that (on the other hand, they didn't have to go to Thunder Bay or Sudbury/North Bay).

A York/Ryerson West final would be a good one.

Ryerson is easily the most talented team in the West, and should (in theory) sweep their way to the West.

That said, the Rams have a poor playoff track record. Think Guelph has a coaching edge against them and York has an advantage in structure.

Will be interesting to see if Duco & his young staff can get Rye High over the mental hump of the past few years and into the promised land of a nationals berth. :popcorn:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

Ryerson split with UBC.

York was whipped by UNB.

Lakehead lost convincingly 4 straight at home against Manitoba and Lethbridge.

Ryerson and York would have a tough time making the playoffs in the AUS or CW.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Ryerson split with UBC.

York was whipped by UNB.

Let's not get too crazy...a team that goes 22-4-2 or whatever Ryerson did, would not be one of the worst two teams in the other conferences.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Ryerson split with UBC.

York was whipped by UNB.

I say that Ryerson should be a player, meaning that they have a good shot at making nationals.
It's no secret to a passionate and long time CIS fan ,that when it comes down to winning a national title, they would need more than sweet f..... luck itself to win.
For an example, UNB is like 50-1 since 2003 vs OUA competition. But the lone defeat came against Western at home in 2012, so it can happen. That was a year that also saw Alberta and Sask lose both games, I think?

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Let's not get too crazy...a team that goes 22-4-2 or whatever Ryerson did, would not be one of the worst two teams in the other conferences.

It is no secret the CW and AUS are the top 2 conferences, but Ryerson is piecing together a nice roster. Of players who have suited up for a game this year, their roster from my count features 22 players with major junior experience comprising 3,928 games and 1,801 points. Manitoba, which is a perennial playoff team for example features 12 players comprising 2,475 games and 1,052 points (with an additional 15 "Jr. A" players). Depth is usually the Achilles heel for OUA squads, and Ryerson may actually have that covered. So I don't think it is a stretch that Ryerson would be capable of landing a 4-6 spot in either conference. I obviously don't see them up with UNB or Alberta etc. and with 3 rounds of best 2 of 3 playoffs to go where anything can happen, it is also far from certain we see Ryerson at Nationals.

Last edited:

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
For those of you who like upsets, watch (2) York vs. (7) Lakehead. A mid-week long trip to (or from) Thunder Bay for game 1 on the road as the higher seed is historically tough.

Over the past 10 seasons, Lakehead has played 18 playoff series. In 13 of the 18, the lower seed won game 1 on the road, and in 8 of those 13, the lower seed won the series after winning game 1 at home.

I wouldn't be surprised if York went out in round 1, Nor would I be surprised to see them win the division. If you're into parity and the chance for huge upsets, there's nothing like the OUA West playoffs.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
A Ottawa-Carleton series would be ton of fun not likely to happen but still one can dream.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Only way CAR-OTT happens is if UOIT somehow shocks Concordia and the two capital-region teams pull through. Chance of all three of those outcomes happening is pretty slim.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Well maybe they can finally host Nationals in that new rink?

Highly doubt it. Wouldn't be enough of a draw to make such a big spending.

In other news

Carleton played a good defensive game tonight, Brassard was better than Auger and the Ravens could make history and get that monkey off their back in they win on saturday at the Colisée.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Five games on the docket tonight:

RYE @ Wat (expect Rams to sweep offensively-challenged Warriors)
GUE @ Bro (Gryphons rolled on them last night, should be more of the same)
Uoit @ CON (Stingers should break out at home, but the Ridgebacks could very well take this series)
Wlu @ WIN (Lancers showed enough in G1 to compete, and South Windsor Arena's a tough place to play)
Que @ OTT (Wed.'s G1 went nearly five full, even periods, and the young Gee-Gees should force a G3)

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Ottawa gets a playoff win in double overtime over Queens. Both teams played double overtime on Wednesday as well. They are going to be tired Saturday night.

Waterloo ties their series with Ryerson. What an upset that would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad