League News: 2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Part the Second (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We're now up to a 92.3% chance of winning the President's trophy and a 31.3% chance of winning you-know-what. Expectations are getting higher than ever for this Caps team. How will we respond? There's a clear path for us, we just have to put our heads down and make that final push.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
If the Caps can defeat the Coyotes and C'bus loses to Chicago (distinct possibility considering that it's the tail end of a back to back for them on the road and Chicago is playing very well) then the Caps would have a 6 point lead with 5 games to go. Quite favourable setup for the Caps.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
If the Caps can defeat the Coyotes and C'bus loses to Chicago (distinct possibility considering that it's the tail end of a back to back for them on the road and Chicago is playing very well) then the Caps would have a 6 point lead with 5 games to go. Quite favourable setup for the Caps.

Which means we could clinch with a win against Cbj next game!

I don't know if I want that to happen though - might be good for them to keep feeling like they have to win. Since that happened they've been winning consistently

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
He took a floundering team last season and had them playing quality hockey almost immediately after he arrived including the second half of last regular season, all of last postseason, and for most of this season before major injuries took their toll. Imagine how the Capitals would be doing if Kuznetsov (Malkin), Niskanen (Letang), Alzner (Hainsey), Orlov (Daley), Orpik (Maatta), and Burakovsky (Hagelin) were out for example.

Also there's no real evidence to prove they quit on Johnston. It's more likely that Johnston was just a bad coach. Sullivan is a good coach who plays to the roster's strengths. No, he's not some godsend but you'd be crazy to say he's not one of the best in the league right now.
How does Hainsey's loss make a difference given that he had minimal amount of games played prior to the injury?

The Caps wouldn't be in the 7-X-X bracket in their last 10 just like the Pens are now. That is my point. Pens are a very mediocre team living off the loser point for the last 1/4 of the season when they have actually been heavily impacted by injuries. There is no magic being worked.

No evidence? Tell Therrien and Bylsma there is no evidence. I would also say he is not one of the better coaches in the league right now. He is insanely over hyped. There will be a great blow out unless he can coach a system that isn't just wing it up the ice and he needs to backs the emotions down a bit.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
So your point is Sullivan is a bad coach because the Penguins are a mediocre team when half their roster including their 2C and their #1 D is injured?

Therrien was a bad coach (or bad fit) in Pittsburgh and the numbers back it up. Immediately after he was fired all of their shot-metrics saw a huge spike under Bylsma and they won a Cup. If you think it was just a matter of the players playing harder well I have a really nice bridge I'd like to sell you. Do you think the Capitals problem in 2011-12 and 2013-14 was that they weren't playing hard enough?

Bylsma's firing was likely just a coach outliving his shelf-life. Boudreau is a good coach but it's probably fair to say his time in Washington was up, as a similar example to this.

If you think Sullivan's overrated then we'll agree to disagree. But to say he's not one of the better coaches in the league seems like you're just trying to spew a hot-take rather than trying to present an informed opinion.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Teams quit on coaches with regularity. Great coaches don't suddenly become bad coaches. The players get tired of them and stop performing at their best. The time it takes for a team to reach the quitting point on a bad coach is just shorter.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
So your point is Sullivan is a bad coach because the Penguins are a mediocre team when half their roster including their 2C and their #1 D is injured?

Therrien was a bad coach (or bad fit) in Pittsburgh and the numbers back it up. Immediately after he was fired all of their shot-metrics saw a huge spike under Bylsma and they won a Cup. If you think it was just a matter of the players playing harder well I have a really nice bridge I'd like to sell you. Do you think the Capitals problem in 2011-12 and 2013-14 was that they weren't playing hard enough?

Bylsma's firing was likely just a coach outliving his shelf-life. Boudreau is a good coach but it's probably fair to say his time in Washington was up, as a similar example to this.

If you think Sullivan's overrated then we'll agree to disagree. But to say he's not one of the better coaches in the league seems like you're just trying to spew a hot-take rather than trying to present an informed opinion.
Didn't say he was bad coach. Just said he is over-hyped and is not doing the magically job everyone makes it out to be. He is above average of what another average coach can do for the last quarter of a season. The Pens are still giving up a lot of goals and are a poor road team. Those have been trends almost the whole year. That is only being intensified by the team not being able to break the puck out by the combination of their puck moving D and some of their more skilled/speedy forwards being out.

Funny thing, Bylsma himself even said there was very little changes the year he took over. Just minor tweaks here and there. A team doesn't do a full 180 from tweaks. Also doesn't change the fact that a very similar roster was in the SCF the year before.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Kind of hoping the Pens win tonight, *vomit* as that would almost guarantee that they would not slip into fourth place in the division. I don't want them to overtake C'bus though for home ice advantage.

So, I will go with the natural inclination and cheer against the Pens. :)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Cooke was only a Cap for 17 games in 07-08. I had repressed this memory until today.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Kind of hoping the Pens win tonight, *vomit* as that would almost guarantee that they would not slip into fourth place in the division. I don't want them to overtake C'bus though for home ice advantage.

So, I will go with the natural inclination and cheer against the Pens. :)

Yup. 100%. Pens win, and I'm ok w CBus winning....as long as Caps
win.

Everyone needs to hold serve. If CBus loses, and then we beat them, Pens could be #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad