2016-17 Ex-Coyotes Stats as of Dec. 10, 2017

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I was curious how last season's players are currently doing, so I looked up stats for players with more than 25 games with Arizona last season, and put together this table. Since I'm not that much of a fan of gauging defensemen by their offensive numbers, I looked at ice time, and noted which pairing they're on. Crouse is the only player in the table who is still with the organization.

Before I looked at any of the numbers, I can't say that there's one player who I miss, and looking at the numbers didn't change my mind. Perhaps Vrbata will go on one of his streaks. Otherwise, Murphy and Stone are 3rd-pairing guys on decent defensive teams, Burmistrov and Jooris are somehow still in the NHL, and Hanzal's production is low and he's injured again.

4NOUJqo.jpg

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
McGinn rebounding a bit did not surprise me but him having close to comparable numbers to Vrbata is interesting...
Florida is a crap show though, who knows. Thanks for Demers!

Probably worth keeping that in mind RE: Stepan's play. Keeping Hanzal or going all in on the tank again with Burmistrov were often discussed options.
As meh as Stepan has been he's at least healthy and playing a lot of minutes. Without Stepan we're on the waiver crap pile yet again. I'm tired of that if nothing else :laugh:

Reminds me of this post from the offseason:
With Stepan, I think he's an upgrade but it's a little smaller of a gap than you might think. Hanzal had per game numbers in the .6 range 3 years running prior to last season. Stepan a little better but he has a better supporting cast too. Both are reasonably comparable in fancy stats.

Retroactively, I think Hanzal needed a change of scenery and that's based on something rt mentioned on the mainboard in the players who play better angry thread. That's certainly Hanzal and we've seen a lot less angry Hanzal the last 2 years. Complacency or what I dunno.

Hopefully a new face in Stepan who might be a better fit with our freshmen and sophomores + health is the advantage we need. I think it is. But the offensive gap is smaller than you might think.

It certainly hasn't worked out as well as anyone would like, but the center position would be a smouldering pit right now otherwise.

Reactions: Yandover

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd still take Burmistrov over Cousins.

Kconn and Schenn are the only two major gripes with the roster right now that I can see. I assume Stepan, Domi etc... will all pull out of their funk at some point in the future.

Chychrun has come in and been the 2nd best D straight away. Such a huge boost. It would be nice if Hjalmarsson came back and pushed Goligoski's dumb ass out of of the top 4.

Reactions: kbay and Yandover

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Speaking of Cousins, that reminds me that both he and Clendenning were often seen as the underutilized advanced stats darlings. You'd think if they were going to earn time anywhere it would be here but....

Chychrun has come in and been the 2nd best D straight away. Such a huge boost. It would be nice if Hjalmarsson came back and pushed Goligoski's dumb ass out of of the top 4.

He's been pretty darn good for sure. I wonder if they'll ever try OEL - Hjalmarsson again. I know it didn't look good early but OEL was horrible then.
OEL - Hjalmarsson
Chychrun - Demers
Goligoski - Schenn

Not horrible. Or flip flop Hammer and Demers if you wanna spread minutes a bit more.

Reactions: Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd still take Burmistrov over Cousins.

Kconn and Schenn are the only two major gripes with the roster right now that I can see. I assume Stepan, Domi etc... will all pull out of their funk at some point in the future.

Gogo gets much hate on these boards and does cough up the puck a little to much, but he tries to make things happen every time he is out there. Someone mentioned that he reminds him of Yandle, and I have to agree.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Vrbata surprises me. I mean, I was a lot more willing to let him walk than most because I didn't think he'd be able to match his production on the decline, but... this is really astonishing and sad.

Reactions: 0point1

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Vrbata is just one of those players. Last time he was in the state of Florida (Tampa Bay) it was disastrous. So I can't say I am shocked by the decline for the Panthers. Probably a team chemistry/system thing for him. Seems he excels in certain roles and has a hard time in others. He's the type that needs playmakers on his line to score, it appears.

The others... Not too surprising. Thought Hanzal would do a bit better... but the injuries were always his biggest drawback.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I really didn't want Vrbata to go. He's always been productive for us. Could've signed him year to year until both parties realized it was time to quit.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Yeah retaining any of these guys would have obviously made the Coyotes a playoff team :rolleyes:

Sad to see Hanzal struggling.

Maybe that is also a testament to how our previous coach got more out of players than their actual worth??? Considering that after 33 games in, we are not getting the value out of the players that I would like to think that we would get...

Reactions: Jakey53

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
McGinn rebounding a bit did not surprise me but him having close to comparable numbers to Vrbata is interesting...
Florida is a crap show though, who knows. Thanks for Demers!

Probably worth keeping that in mind RE: Stepan's play. Keeping Hanzal or going all in on the tank again with Burmistrov were often discussed options.
As meh as Stepan has been he's at least healthy and playing a lot of minutes. Without Stepan we're on the waiver crap pile yet again. I'm tired of that if nothing else :laugh:

Reminds me of this post from the offseason:

It certainly hasn't worked out as well as anyone would like, but the center position would be a smouldering pit right now otherwise.

But think about it - were we diving for waiver wire finds at C when we had Ribeiro on the team?

The bottom line is that when we have had the ability to bring in true talent, it solves a lot of our issues. The issues over the past 3-4 years were that we had very little coming down the pipeline in terms of drafted talent (Gormley vs Perlini - both were the 13th pick, we missed heavily on one. Lane vs Dvorak - both were taken with about the 55th pick in their respective drafts).

When we have reasonable talent like Ribeiro and Stepan, it makes it so that we don't have to scour for the waiver finds. But when we are searching for something or someone to plug in b/c our talent level is so thin, that is when we are forced to dive in there. Hopefully, we won't have to do that for the next 2-5 years, b/c we actually have drafted talent with promise.

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Maybe that is also a testament to how our previous coach got more out of players than their actual worth??? Considering that after 33 games in, we are not getting the value out of the players that I would like to think that we would get...
Players that leave here generally have had their best years in AZ and don't play as well some place else. Smith is the exception, having a decent year. With our new coach I can't think of one full time player on last years roster that is having a better year this year. All are worse and some are equal. Tip got more with less while Tocc, is getting less with more (so far).

Reactions: BUX7PHX

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Players that leave here generally have had their best years in AZ and don't play as well some place else. Smith is the exception, having a decent year. With our new coach I can't think of one full time player on last years roster that is having a better year this year. All are worse and some are equal. Tip got more with less while Tocc, is getting less with more (so far).

But one of those two names mentioned clearly was not good at holding players accountable and made it so that we are one of the worst scoring teams in the league. I wonder which one that is.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

One could argue that this point was the thinly veiled reason for the original post!

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Or maybe Vrbata is 36 now and beginning to experience an age related natural decline.

Never said that it couldn't happen. But last year, he was 35 and many spoke of a natural age-related decline too.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
But one of those two names mentioned clearly was not good at holding players accountable and made it so that we are one of the worst scoring teams in the league. I wonder which one that is.

Exactly right. That for me is RT's biggest mistake. He still says some players don't listen to him. I don't care who the player is, if they don't follow the system or listen you sit them. This team still has no captain which I think is stupid. All the players are saying the right things, but you need a C. I don't know how many times over the years how the young players talked about Doan and how he handled himself on and off the ice and how much they learned from him. IF the ownership did it the right way, they could have announced Doan's retirement, his new role in management and named OEL the captain at a presser all at the same time and everyone is happy. But no, they had to find a way to probably piss off two of the most important people to this franchise. Now there are rumblings that our new big shot owner is getting sued for not paying his staff and that after next month he can't make payroll. Where in hell did the NHL find this goof ball?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad