Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Talk

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I like the pick, but how does he fill an organizational need in any way?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Sorry I've offended you so deeply.

Maybe I was unnecessarily harsh.

I would love to hear your justification for that sentence in particular and any analysis you have of the Stars prospects and farm system in general.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Maybe I was unnecessarily harsh.

I would love to hear your justification for that sentence in particular and any analysis you have of the Stars prospects and farm system in general.

Ok, well maybe I was a little aggressive in saying it was a "big" organizational need.

Obviously I didn't study each NHL teams depth chart for days before publishing, but at first glance I still think your team's defence is a big weakness in the big picture. I like a lot of the pieces you do have. I like Klinbgerg, obviously. Goligoski is ok. Daley is ok but not getting any younger. In the system a player like Honka is a gem and should be great once he's ready.

On the flip side, I really really really like the Stars group of forwards. While their forward prospect system isn't amazing, their NHL roster of forwards is very good including having a talented but young core.

Looking at who was left at the 12th pick, Werenski was the one guy from the "consensus top 11" still there. Given Dallas needing more potential top pairing defenders it was an easy fit for me. The fact that he's a lefty isn't ideal given the Stars situation, but I still think he makes a lot of sense for you.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I think the defense was appropriately addressed last year when we drafted 7 defensemen out of 9 picks

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Ok, well maybe I was a little aggressive in saying it was a "big" organizational need.

Obviously I didn't study each NHL teams depth chart for days before publishing, but at first glance I still think your team's defence is a big weakness in the big picture. I like a lot of the pieces you do have. I like Klinbgerg, obviously. Goligoski is ok. Daley is ok but not getting any younger. In the system a player like Honka is a gem and should be great once he's ready.

On the flip side, I really really really like the Stars group of forwards. While their forward prospect system isn't amazing, their NHL roster of forwards is very good including having a talented but young core.

Looking at who was left at the 12th pick, Werenski was the one guy from the "consensus top 11" still there. Given Dallas needing more potential top pairing defenders it was an easy fit for me. The fact that he's a lefty isn't ideal given the Stars situation, but I still think he makes a lot of sense for you.

It seems like you put a lot of stock what the NHL team needs now and I don't see how picking Werenski fits those needs when he is either 10th or 11th on the depth chart. I don't think #12 is going to be a player who sticks in Dallas for at least 2 years especially if it is a defenseman given the current logjam both in Dallas and in Cedar Park.

Saying he's the BPA is totally reasonable, but defense isn't really an organizational need.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I like Barzal a lot

Also, this mock draft has us picking Kylington at 12.

Great joke by the writer. (He also has us picking Rasmus Andersson at 49, but I really like that pick so I won't make fun)

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
Matt Barzal please fall to us

I think if he gets past New Jersey there is a scenario where he falls to us. If NJ takes Zacha I can see him sliding past Philly (Crouse) , Columbus (Provorov) , SJ (Werenski) , Colorado (Rantanen). Florida might end up taking him then but I feel they will take a winger (or just my wishful thinking). I would love Barzal to end up falling to us but with Shero at the helm in NJ now unless one of Strome or Marner fall I don't see Barzal falling to us.

I would be happy with one of Barzal, Zacha, Connor or Konecny. I don't really want Timo Meier. I'm not a scout but I would just be a little disappointed if we end up taking Meier if one of those 4 is still on the table. Either way I trust Jim Nill & co. with the draft. We're pretty fortunate to have some extremely intelligent hockey brains running the Stars!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00