Prospect Info: 2015 Draft: Joni Tuulola (HPK, Finland) | D | 181st Overall (signed to 2-year deal through 2019-20)

ManChild20

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Another offensive defenseman. Good size 6'2 185. Son of the HPK's all time leading scorer Marko Tuulola.

Scouting repots say he can be physical at times, but needs to develop size and strength.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
He is a 19 year old. .still good value in relation to where consensus suggested he would go in earlier rounds ...so got him a round and a half or more later than he ought to have gone. DOES not mean he will pan out..

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Another offensive defenseman. Good size 6'2 185. Son of the HPK's all time leading scorer Marko Tuulola.

Scouting repots say he can be physical at times, but needs to develop size and strength.

That pretty much sums it up. Great offensive instincts and abilities. He can make things happen in the offensive zone with the puck. Good wheels and plays smart, just needs to tighten up his defensive game a little bit as far as positioning and strength.

B4rre

Jan 17, 2014
That pretty much sums it up. Great offensive instincts and abilities. He can make things happen in the offensive zone with the puck. Good wheels and plays smart, just needs to tighten up his defensive game a little bit as far as positioning and strength.

I read from the Finnish boards/articles that's pretty much how he is. I could also add couple of pointers mainly from fans that have seen him play weekly:

- Before he was injured this season he was a top 2 defender in his Finnish Elite League team and deserved the minutes. Didn't play in WJC because of that injury. Would have been one of the top defenders of the Finnish U20 team.
- Points in FEL were scored with practically no TOI on power play. He should be able to rack up much more points if/when he gets power play time.
- He is great with stretch passes and especially great on jumping into the rushes at the right time. His offensive play is really promising in general though there are some weaknesses on play recognition especially on defensive zone i.e. he sometimes tries too risky plays instead of just clearing the puck.
- Skating and hands are really good.
- Allot of upside as he is really skilled but needs to bulk up and get tougher.

Last edited:

Retail1LO*

Jesus Christ. What a language Finnish is. lol

Crazy. It's like a deranged form of pig latin or something.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Best value pick for the Hawks and an overager to boot.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
He is a 19 year old. .still good value in relation to where consensus suggested he would go in earlier rounds ...so got him a round and a half or more later than he ought to have gone. DOES not mean he will pan out..
+1. Overager.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
FYI this guy you drafted 2 years ago scored a hat trick in a preseason game (30min prax game). Also scored a beauty in a shootout. I saw he's not even close to being one of your better prospects (didn't crack the #8 pick list).

I was there in the crowd and by the time he scored the shootout winner I was like what the hell is happening.:laugh:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Man we are desperate for things to talk about. These offseasons are too long when the Hawks go out in April.....

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Back on topic, good for Tuulola. Honestly forgot he was a prospect (wasn't a high draft pick and hasn't been in the organization all that long), but I'm glad he's showing some talent. Just sucks he's another lefty defensemen. He'll have Snuggerrud, Forsling, Krys, and others in his way for spots on the Hawks. And Keith isn't going anywhere anytime soon either.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
BUt the truth is Tuulola was one of the top Dmen in +/- for his team and in the Liiga ..so as he has gotten a bit stinger than in juniors he is better able to not loose as many strength battles as when he was younger and lighter..I always thought he was a goid skater and had goid height size ..so if he is adding scoring to his list of good attributes then he is developing into a true potential nhl prospect ...so the path is encouraging Casco his development progress.

I have already commented on Snuggy (needs vast improvement defensively...defensive hockey sense is lacking or he will not make it in the show )...not really sold yet on Krys...and Forsling has the same problem Tuulola had earlier. needs more strength to win battles to prevent attacks on his net better ...if they she'd his check attempt they get clear on net ..So we will see if Forsling can get a lit stronger and if that helps him secure a permanent job in the show or not.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
He change team to this season, his stats from last year was 52 games 2+6 (+/- +17) TOI 17,42 after 9 games this year 2+5 (+/- -1) TOI 24,20 thats 4 in the league.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad