Sunday, February 15th at St. FX, 7PM

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
OUA East First Round​

#1 McGill v #8 Concordia
- McGill is a very, very good team.
- Concordia has one of the best players in Canada in Olivier Hinse.
- McGill has two excellent goaltenders.
McGill in three. Concordia with enough to steal a game, but not to pull off the upset.

#2 Carleton v. #7 UOIT
- Ravens slipped up at Laurentian in their last regular season game.
- Still one of the best offensive teams in the OUA.
- Outscored UOIT 17-4 in two meetings this season.
Carleton in a sweep. Just too much for UOIT.

#3 UQTR v. #6 Nipissing
- UQTR struggled a bit down the stretch.
- Still a talented team that gets calls at home.
- Nipissing works hard, but not a ton of offence.
UQTR in a sweep. Nip might steal G1 at home. Probably not.

#4 Laurentian v. #5 Queen's
- Laurentian playing sound defensive hockey.
- Queen's have the best goaltender in the division in Kevin Bailie.
Queen's in three. Bailie posts at least one shutout.

Should be great viewing!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Which OUA teams will have their games live streamed?

All AUS teams will have theirs games available. Moncton's home game will be in French.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
OUA West Playoff Schedules:

(8) Brock vs. (1) Windsor
Wed Feb 11 at Brock, 7:15pm
Sat Feb 14 at Windsor, 4pm
Sun Feb 15 at Windsor, 7:30pm

(7) Lakehead vs. (2) Western

Wed Feb 11 at Lakehead, 7:30pm
Sat Feb 14 at Western, 4pm
Sun Feb 15 at Western, 7pm

(6) Guelph vs. (3) Waterloo

Wed Feb 11 at Waterloo, 7:30pm
Sat Feb 14 at Guelph, 7:30pm
Sun Feb 15 at Waterloo, 7:30pm

(5) Toronto vs. (4) Ryerson

Wed Feb 11 at Ryerson, 7:30pm
Sat Feb 14 at Toronto, 7:30pm
Sun Feb 15 at Ryerson, 7:30pm

OUA East Playoff Schedules

(8) Concordia vs. (1) McGill

Wed Feb 11 at McGill, 7pm
Fri Feb 13 at Concordia, 7:30pm
Sun Feb 15 at McGill, 7pm

(7) UOIT vs. (2) Carleton
TBA

(6) Nipissing vs. (3) UQTR
TBA

(5) Queen's vs. (4) Laurentian
Wed Feb 11 at Queen's, 7:30pm
TBA at Laurentian
TBA at Laurentian

Game 3 of Waterloo-Guelph will be 6:30pm on Sun.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Which OUA teams will have their games live streamed?

All AUS teams will have theirs games available. Moncton's home game will be in French.

All of Waterloo's games will be streamed on oua.tv. I can't speak for other schools, but Western, Windsor, Brock, Guelph, and Lakehead have also streamed most (if not all) games in the regular season.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
There's been a schedule change in the Waterloo/Guelph series. Game 2 will now be Thursday, not Saturday. The schedule:

Game 1: @ Waterloo, Wed, Feb 11, 7:30pm
Game 2: @ Guelph, Thurs, Feb 12, 7:30pm
Game 3 (if nec): @ Waterloo, Sun, Feb 15, 6:30pm

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Games for UQTR will be broadcasted on patriotes.tv on saturday and sunday if necessary.

As for predictions (I'll only do the East, haven't seen enough of the West).

McGill will sweep, Concordia doesn't have the goalkeeping to win come playoff time and the Redmen are so good in defense.

Carleton vs UOIT: Carleton will sweep, the Ravens are a made for playoff team, I don't see UOIT winning one, especially with Killeen in the nets.

UQTR vs Nipissing: Despite a slow end of the season, UQTR will also sweep. Nipissing is a young team, lots of freshmen. They'll be better later on. UQTR lost their best scorer, Giroux, but got former ECHL Pierre-Olivier Morin back in the roster.

Queen's vs Laurentian: With Kevin Baillie in nets, I see the Gaels winning it in three. Queen's the only team giving less than 75 goals not to be in the top 3 of their division. I guess they lost some points here and there during the season in close games. Still nice to see the progression of the Voyageur's program.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Saint Mary's beat Moncton 2-0 at home in game 1 of their series tonight.

I watched most of the 3rd period and Moncton was by far the better team. Peters, like usual, was the difference.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Saint Mary's beat Moncton 2-0 at home in game 1 of their series tonight.

I watched most of the 3rd period and Moncton was by far the better team. Peters, like usual, was the difference.

Caught just the third period as well. Most of the play was in the Huskies zone.
Moncton actually outshot SMU 34-28. Les Aigles just couldn't solve Peters. Lets see in they can make a series out of in Thursday night.

sportsfan111

Oct 23, 2014
Just back from X and UPEI. It was a tight game with X going up by two before UPEI tied it up. Kontoss scored the winning goal off the draw; he played well tonight. Both goalies played well, but I think Parks can probably be a bit better.
UPEI missed some golden chances in the first period, and after they fell behind by two they started to dominate the play. In this instance, shots on goal were an accurate reflection of the play.
X did well to win, but that is not to say they played well. They didn't control the game and most of their chances came in transition. It is a dangerous game to play, especially in the play-offs.
I'd say the series will go three games.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Surprise in Montreal, Concordia wins the first game 6-4 in McConnell arena. That series just got interesting really fast.

UQTR wins it 6-3 with one in an empty net.

Last edited:

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Tonight was my first-ever night of OUA playoff hockey.

So. Many. Games.

- Carleton takes care of business at UOIT. I think, when it's all said and done, UOIT was probably the easiest draw of the bottom three playoff teams in the East. Carleton should sweep on Friday.
- Laurentian goes into Kingston, ties things up in the 3rd, and wins it with two minutes left on a deflection! Can't see them losing both in Sudbury, they should advance.
- Concordia shocks McGill! Robin Billingham stands the test in net for Concordia, stopping 19 of 22 McGill shots he faced in the third period as the Stingers hang on for a 6-4 victory away from home!
- UQTR takes care of business against Nipissing. Should sweep in the return game at home.
- Brock with a shock win over Windsor. How many people saw the Badgers hanging on for the win, the way they were getting dominated by the Lancers? Can they pull off the upset?
- Lakehead takes down Western in pretty decisive fashion. Mustangs goaltender Dodds also left the game after giving up the 3-0 goal.
- Waterloo takes care of business against Guelph, courtesy of a five-goal outburst in the second period.
- Toronto gets dominated for large swaths of the game at Ryerson, hangs on for 2-1 win despite giving up fifty shots.

Craziness! Can't wait for the weekend!

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007

So. Many. Games.

- Carleton takes care of business at UOIT. I think, when it's all said and done, UOIT was probably the easiest draw of the bottom three playoff teams in the East. Carleton should sweep on Friday.
- Laurentian goes into Kingston, ties things up in the 3rd, and wins it with two minutes left on a deflection! Can't see them losing both in Sudbury, they should advance.
- Concordia shocks McGill! Robin Billingham stands the test in net for Concordia, stopping 19 of 22 McGill shots he faced in the third period as the Stingers hang on for a 6-4 victory away from home!
- UQTR takes care of business against Nipissing. Should sweep in the return game at home.
- Brock with a shock win over Windsor. How many people saw the Badgers hanging on for the win, the way they were getting dominated by the Lancers? Can they pull off the upset?
- Lakehead takes down Western in pretty decisive fashion. Mustangs goaltender Dodds also left the game after giving up the 3-0 goal.
- Waterloo takes care of business against Guelph, courtesy of a five-goal outburst in the second period.
- Toronto gets dominated for large swaths of the game at Ryerson, hangs on for 2-1 win despite giving up fifty shots.

Craziness! Can't wait for the weekend!

Was not actually decisive at all to be honest. Western dominated the game after the first, portioned in with some awful reffing. Western wont lose at home.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012

Not that big of a shock, really. Concordia is a perpetually under-achieving squad, but they have the ability to play with the top teams. They've always had tons of talent, but bad coaching and a lack of team discipline / commitment has done them in year after year. If they had a good coach, they'd be right up there with Carleton / McGill/ UQTR.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com

So. Many. Games.

Here's the Waterloo-Guelph game story: http://warriors.uwaterloo.ca/news/2015/2/12/MHOCKEY_0212153230.aspx

...and a highlight-reel goal by Riley Sonnenburg on a no-look backhand pass from Andrew Smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lM3KwmUd54.

These teams are right back at it on Thursday night. Obviously, Guelph is playing for their season, but lots at stake for Waterloo too - they're without captain Joe Underwood and star forwards Chris Chappell and Matt Kennedy, so a quick sweep and nearly a full week off could do wonders for them. I don't expect another 5-goal decision tonight.

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
coaching at Concordia

Not that big of a shock, really. Concordia is a perpetually under-achieving squad, but they have the ability to play with the top teams. They've always had tons of talent, but bad coaching and a lack of team discipline / commitment has done them in year after year. If they had a good coach, they'd be right up there with Carleton / McGill/ UQTR.

I can back that statement up about the poor coaching. My cousin and his buddy went there after their OHL careers and the coach (Figsby) was always asking them about the drills they had used on their respective OHL teams.....like he couldn't come up with his own.

Don't understand how he's lasted this long but you're right. A quality coach with their talent would push this team at the top. Who wouldn't want to play and study in Montreal. Recruiting would be easy.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Moncton with a big 5-1 home win over SMU tonight to force a game 3 on Sat night. Moncton has looked very good from what I've watched this series...probably playing their best hockey since the first couple weeks of the season. Would still be quite shocked if they won the series though.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Moncton with a big 5-1 home win over SMU tonight to force a game 3 on Sat night. Moncton has looked very good from what I've watched this series...probably playing their best hockey since the first couple weeks of the season. Would still be quite shocked if they won the series though.

Didn't see the game. My jaw dropped when I checked in on the score and saw that it was 5-0 Les Aigles. You could argue that they have outplayed the Huskies in two consecutive games now. Still expect the Huskies to close out the series on Saturday. My guess is that they have underestimated their opponent so far.

Guelph ties their series with Waterloo. Game 3 is on Sunday afternoon. Hope it is streamed.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Guelph ties their series with Waterloo. Game 3 is on Sunday afternoon. Hope it is streamed.

Yep, the Waterloo game will be streamed - puck drop is at 6:30 eastern. Please forgive the audio quality (and forgive any mistakes I make on the play-by-play call!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad