2015-2016 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Hopefully Reway will be okay....and stays off social media during this time ;)

Anyone have video???

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Has anyone watched Juulsen play recently? He has bad stats, but looking at the team he's on I'm gonna guess that's not the complete story.

I've got a season pass so I watch him play but being on the east coast it's hard to stay awake as they are one of the most boring teams to watch for any of our prospects. They have a great goalie and play a really sound defensive game (lead the WHL in GA by a good bit) but that offense is 2nd worst in the WHL in gf. So many times that I've watched a game they score 1 or 2 goals. Guess I should be used to it since it's like watching the Habs when Price was in net last year.

Dec 2, 2010
Juulsen is playing outstanding actually. He's among the WHL's best in his own end. Solid breakout pass. Carries the puck well through the NZ. Everett's got a very defensive system and the D isn't allowed too many risks. No talent up front for them to finish the plays. As montreal said, abysmal scoring levels. (Carter Hart is godly most games)

I want him to be PPG as much as er'body, but as long as Constantine is coaching and Juulsen wants to see ice time, he won't be going end to end every shift.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
1. We hold his rights for another year, if he's not signed by then, we know the organization has no interest in him. Until then we can't say 100% that they have don't have any interest in him. Perhaps they weren't happy with him opting to leave the Q for the Czech league and wanted to see how it panned out.

2. Only Reway knows what his intentions are.

3. Maybe he is a headcase, I don't know him and don't pretend to. I have seen him play a lot and I know he's highly skilled but with holes in his game. He's either going to sign with us by next year or he won't. I don't see the big deal in what he says on the internet, it's what he does on the ice that matters most to me.

Sorry, I completely forgot the or between the points 1, 2 and 3 which affect the meaning of my post. I never meant to say it as facts but as possibilities.

But I disagree with you on the third point. The kid had problems with management and teammates everywhere he played, ofr me that'sw a problem. His skillset is great and it would be nice to have him put up some good numbers with the team, but I don't think I'm wrong if I say that the team doesn't like that kind of attitude.

For me, his answers on twitter and the trade picture he posted are clearly provocation toward the team, pushing them to trade him. I wouldn't like it if I was G. Molson or M. Bergevin, and he knows it.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Sorry, I completely forgot the or between the points 1, 2 and 3 which affect the meaning of my post. I never meant to say it as facts but as possibilities.

But I disagree with you on the third point. The kid had problems with management and teammates everywhere he played, ofr me that'sw a problem. His skillset is great and it would be nice to have him put up some good numbers with the team, but I don't think I'm wrong if I say that the team doesn't like that kind of attitude.

For me, his answers on twitter and the trade picture he posted are clearly provocation toward the team, pushing them to trade him. I wouldn't like it if I was G. Molson or M. Bergevin, and he knows it.

Yet some of the guys who bash Reway salivate over the thoughts of Jonathan Drouin whose actions might be even more questionable than Reway's.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nygren with 2 assits, 3 shots, +1, 25:52 ice time. He's up to 23 pts in 33 games, and since being out for almost a month, in his return he's had 6 pts in 7 games.

Lehkonen held pointless -2 on the day, Vejdemo also pointless.

I think it's very hard for posters to know what's going on behind the scene. Take for example this year. Put him on the Habs and how do you think fans would feel if we had one of our prospects leading the league in scoring yet Therrien was playing him limited ice time. Sounds a bit like Galchenyuk minus the leading the league in points as a 20 year old. Don't you think fans would be up in arms saying why aren't they playing this kid more? So unless you know what was going on off the ice that may have lead to him getting limited ice time despite being their leading scorer, who's to really say how he was treated was warranted. I'm not saying it was or wasn't as I don't know, I will say I watched him a lot last year and I watch several games this year and I did think he was looking better with the effort and defensive play while also putting up the points. Am I ready to just ship him out because of his attitude? It doesn't matter what I or anyone outside the organization think since it only matters what management thinks of him. Either he ends up a Hab or he doesn't. If not it will be a shame as he is highly skilled no matter what and we sure could use more offense.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Nygren with 2 assits, 3 shots, +1, 25:52 ice time. He's up to 23 pts in 33 games, and since being out for almost a month, in his return he's had 6 pts in 7 games.

I really hope we do something with him... I'm pretty sure he has a good value on the market.

I think it's very hard for posters to know what's going on behind the scene. Take for example this year. Put him on the Habs and how do you think fans would feel if we had one of our prospects leading the league in scoring yet Therrien was playing him limited ice time. Sounds a bit like Galchenyuk minus the leading the league in points as a 20 year old. Don't you think fans would be up in arms saying why aren't they playing this kid more? So unless you know what was going on off the ice that may have lead to him getting limited ice time despite being their leading scorer, who's to really say how he was treated was warranted. I'm not saying it was or wasn't as I don't know, I will say I watched him a lot last year and I watch several games this year and I did think he was looking better with the effort and defensive play while also putting up the points. Am I ready to just ship him out because of his attitude? It doesn't matter what I or anyone outside the organization think since it only matters what management thinks of him. Either he ends up a Hab or he doesn't. If not it will be a shame as he is highly skilled no matter what and we sure could use more offense.

Yeah, let's see what happen... At this point, he would certainly not hurt the team.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I really hope we do something with him... I'm pretty sure he has a good value on the market.

Both Nygren and Reway need to come here and play. If there playing in the AHL it will be much easier to see what we got.
I don't think any prospect that not a top 10 pick has much value, unless it's at the trade deadline and you package them with a draft pick to grab a player that becoming a UFA.
By themselves little to no value imho

Yeah, let's see what happen... At this point, he would certainly not hurt the team.

You think Reway is NHL material at this point in his career?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
You think Reway is NHL material at this point in his career?

Having seen him play quite a bit in the last two years I'd say he could certainly play SOME minutes in the NHL at this point. He's had no problem reading the plays and following the tempo in two pro league now. I don't think he's anywhere near a complete product at this point though in the defensive aspects of the game, especially if he's a center . The coaching staff would have to protect him a lot in the beginning and be willing to live with him looking lost some times. Ideally I'd rather have him play a bit in the AHL, just to figure if he's a better fit as a center or as a winger, which is were he's been mostly playing in Europe ( Although he's been a C with Fribourg ) .

Last edited:

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Having seen him play quite a bit in the last two years I'd say he could certainly play SOME minutes in the NHL at this point. He's had no problem reading the plays and following the tempo in two pro league now. I don't think he's anywhere near a complete product at this point though in the defensive aspects of the game, especially if he's a center . The coaching staff would have to protect him a lot in the beginning and be willing to live with him looking lost some times. Ideally I'd rather have him play a bit in the AHL, just to figure if he's a better fit as a center or as a winger, which is were he's been mostly playing in Europe ( Although he's been a C with Fribourg ) .

For the record I'm not a big Reway fan but he is our prospect and I want them all to succeed.

Before we even start talking about the NHL for Reway he needs to play in the AHL. We need to see what he can do here in N/A. Also need to see if he has matured and put aside his attitude problems that has cause him self inflicted wounds in the pass.

Like I said I hope for all our prospect even if I have my doubts.

Go Reway GO :clap:

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Offensively, yes. Defensively, probably not. The way the entire team is playing defensively these days, he wouldn't hurt more than anybody else.

Yeah but this not like football where you can play one side or the other of the ball. In the NHL to get scoring chances you need to be able to play in your defensive zone.

You can see that every night in the NHL. One team gets there 2nd line out against a 4th line and the 4th line can't get the puck out of there own zone and takes a penalty.

Reway needs to become more complete. He needs to play in the AHL against big bodies that can skate and hit. He's too small for center so he will have to do his tricks from the wing.
He just got nailed this week from a player I have no clue about his ability. But I do know that the AHL has future NHL stars defensmen playing that can make life very difficult for a good size player let alone a small guy.

Is he fast enough, quick enough to pull of his tricks?
Can he back check good enough so he doesn't get benched....by any coach?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

It's hard to say what his value would be on the market, you would think teams would be interested in a offensively skilled blueliner that is currently 3 pts back of the league leader in the SHL in scoring for defensemen despite missing almost a month. I still hope that management hasn't given up on him. We could really use his cannon of a shot on the PP and he's having an impressive season. No reason not to bring him over and if he can't cut it in the NHL then let him go back to the SHL. At worst it would only cost us a contract spot out of the 50 allowed. But not sure if management will see it that way after how things went with him in the AHL. Guess we'll see.

Both Nygren and Reway need to come here and play. If there playing in the AHL it will be much easier to see what we got.
I don't think any prospect that not a top 10 pick has much value, unless it's at the trade deadline and you package them with a draft pick to grab a player that becoming a UFA.
By themselves little to no value imho

the problem with Nygren and Reway playing in the AHL is that they are among top scorers in their respective leagues so they know they are likely going to get a good amount of money vs playing for so little in the AHL. Granted there are ways around this as you could give them a big signing bonus but don't see them going that route although they were paying Tok 575K or so to play in the AHL so I guess you never know. One things for sure, it's going to be very interesting to see what management does with both going forward as we clearly have a lack of offense on this team and these two are known for their offensive games but have issues that may lead management to walk away from.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
the problem with Nygren and Reway playing in the AHL is that they are among top scorers in their respective leagues so they know they are likely going to get a good amount of money vs playing for so little in the AHL. Granted there are ways around this as you could give them a big signing bonus but don't see them going that route although they were paying Tok 575K or so to play in the AHL so I guess you never know. One things for sure, it's going to be very interesting to see what management does with both going forward as we clearly have a lack of offense on this team and these two are known for their offensive games but have issues that may lead management to walk away from.

I wonder how much young prospect are making overseas?

I can see veterans making some good coin but young players I don't know.

A lot of games I watch in the SHL I would say the arenas are half full and would suspect only a few clubs with deep pockets.

Is there a website that post there salaries?

Like you said if money is the issue I am sure they could find a way to give them more if they want them here in N/A.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
They're paying Holloway $175k to play in the AHL. There are ways to make it palatable for talented Euro-leaguers to come overseas, even if they don't make the big team.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wonder how much young prospect are making overseas?

I can see veterans making some good coin but young players I don't know.

A lot of games I watch in the SHL I would say the arenas are half full and would suspect only a few clubs with deep pockets.

Is there a website that post there salaries?

Like you said if money is the issue I am sure they could find a way to give them more if they want them here in N/A.

In the past it was hard to find Euro league salaries but they also do things differently as some leagues in addition to your salary they provide a car, house, etc... that you have to count. It would be interesting to know what Nygren signed for since he was a known talent in the SHL before he left. Reway being in the NLA and how well he's done likely will get a nice bump in pay if he returns next year or opts for the KHL as from what I understand they are the top 2 paying Euro leagues.

The problem with Reway is he has to sign an ELC so he can only make 70K or so in the AHL for 2 years, although they could just agree to if he doesn't make the NHL he gets loaned back to the NLA or KHL. They did it with Engqvist before he came over, it doesn't cost us any money and only ties up a contract spot.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
If we're going to be getting rid of a couple D men then MB should be really trying to get Nygren back to MTL. Have him fight it out for the #6 spot with Barbs and Pateryn.

I think his slap shot could really help our PP.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I'm a little confused with Nygren contract.
He already played with Hamilton in the AHL and I would assume he signed a ELC already.

If he did I would guess it would kick in once he came back...if not where did the contract go?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm a little confused with Nygren contract.
He already played with Hamilton in the AHL and I would assume he signed a ELC already.

If he did I would guess it would kick in once he came back...if not where did the contract go?

His ELC ended, we own his NHL rights till June 2017. Since he burned his ELC, if we sign him he wouldn't be bound by the ELC rules so they could pay him whatever they wanted in the AHL just that they may not want to give him too much after the way things went down although that's nothing but a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad