Czech Republic: 2015-16 WJC Roster and results predictions

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Masin is not an offensive defenseman. And because he's not, doesn't mean he can't be our MVP. His defensive statistics are sensational. And he still gets some points from time to time. His puck moving skills are great as well. Which is important on the power play. Trust me I've watched him. You'll see on December 26th :)

Going up against the offensive likes of Finland and Russia in our group, don't you think a defensive defenseman is important? I would say extremely. And he's the best one I've ever seen come through the Czech ranks in a long time.

Hopefully you are right. He is a player I am excited to see (Because of the praise you give him) I will definitely try to focus on him.

http://www.hokej.cz/zacha-zboril-stransky-a-dalsi-o-ms-dvacitek-bude-bojovat-34-junioru/5011786

So heres the 34 players they chose to battle for team spots. Actually surprising how many CHL guys were selected. But they missed some for me.

Jenys
Hajek
Vala

Could have been much worse though. Now we just have to hope they dont cut them all like last year :)

I am dissapointed Hajek and Jenys aren't there, but the coach is good, he knows what he is doing. On other hand I am very happy Hronek got in, offensive defensemen are always welcome.

Overall nothing surprising, with the exceptions of Hajek and Jenys. Maybe Budik could have also been considered, but I have to keep in mind they are still too young.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Hopefully you are right. He is a player I am excited to see (Because of the praise you give him) I will definitely try to focus on him.

I am dissapointed Hajek and Jenys aren't there, but the coach is good, he knows what he is doing. On other hand I am very happy Hronek got in, offensive defensemen are always welcome.

Overall nothing surprising, with the exceptions of Hajek and Jenys. Maybe Budik could have also been considered, but I have to keep in mind they are still too young.

Budik hasn't been good enough to be considered. Hajek should have been though.
I hate the oh he's too young excuse from the Czech staff. Doesn't matter if he's 17. I've said it before and I'll say it again. He's still better then Pyrochta, Scotka, Havlin and Miklis. You don't have to be a scout to know that. So I will never understand the logic behind it and why they do it every year.
Finland does it all the time and they seem to do well.

Last edited:

Vogel

Apr 28, 2013
So its confirmed that pasta and vrana wont play? What kind of injuries do they have?

Vrana is confirmed (wrist injury, surgery, out 3-4 months from November). Pastrnak had fracture in his left foot. He is still recovering. There is a small chance that Bruins will send him to the WJC.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Playing in the USHL and being exempt from the CHL, is there a chance Vladar and Stezka go the NCAA route? Neither may have been considering it, but I bet with all their teammates talking constantly which schools they will be attending, it may have opened their minds to exploring the possibility.

Vogel

Apr 28, 2013
Also, has anyone seen David Kase play this year? Statistically it doesn't look too great. At least in Extra league. Is he not getting much ice time? I hope he is still progressing because normally he'd be one of our main go to guys on the team.

He played fourth line minutes (average ice time 8:19). Now he is getting more ice time (first line center) in first league. He has 10 points (6+4) in 8 games. He will be fine.

Vogel

Apr 28, 2013
It must be tough for Jenys. He will miss another tournament. He deserved a chance (Prerost gave him three practices:D).

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
I miss Jenys :( Always controversial nomination. :shakehead
Petr should give him a chance.

Vogel

Apr 28, 2013
Playing in the USHL and being exempt from the CHL, is there a chance Vladar and Stezka go the NCAA route? Neither may have been considering it, but I bet with all their teammates talking constantly which schools they will be attending, it may have opened their minds to exploring the possibility.

Vladar is ineligible for the NCAA, he played "professional hockey".

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I miss Jenys :( Always controversial nomination. :shakehead
Petr should give him a chance.

I agree he should have gotten a chance, but in all fairness he's been anything but good this year in Sudbury.
A 16 year old and two 17 year olds, all have more points then him. So I don't think it's much of a loss. We don't really need him.

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Vanecek should be no. 1, he improved his technique and he is working on his style with Mitch Korn and co.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Vanecek was awful last year, but I hope he can rebound. Considering we have such a talented group of goalies, it would be shame if it was our weak spot on the tournament.

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
I agree he should have gotten a chance, but in all fairness he's been anything but good this year in Sudbury.
A 16 year old and two 17 year olds, all have more points then him. So I don't think it's much of a loss. We don't really need him.

Well, it's hard to judge him, because he played in a very bad team. Giving him a chance in camp would not kill anyone, right? And that's really all I am asking for.

It's unfortunately politics like always. If you leave the Czech republic and your former team is not happy about it, you are not invited. And it's safe to say Zabransky is not happy. Guess who else left Kometa? Hajek or Zboril....

They were able to pay insurance for Pastrnak, but they were not willing to do that for Jenys. I don't think we can afford to leave guys who already signed NHL contract at home.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Well, it's hard to judge him, because he played in a very bad team. Giving him a chance in camp would not kill anyone, right? And that's really all I am asking for.

It's unfortunately politics like always. If you leave the Czech republic and your former team is not happy about it, you are not invited. And it's safe to say Zabransky is not happy. Guess who else left Kometa? Hajek or Zboril....

They were able to pay insurance for Pastrnak, but they were not willing to do that for Jenys. I don't think we can afford to leave guys who already signed NHL contract at home.

I agree but I doubt Jenys would be more effective then some of the European guys who have been playing in the U-20 team all year long. They know the system well and don't have to learn it in 2 weeks like Jenys would have to. Plus it's on the large ice too. So there really isn't any real reason to have him unfortunately.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

I agree but I doubt Jenys would be more effective then some of the European guys who have been playing in the U-20 team all year long. They know the system well and don't have to learn it in 2 weeks like Jenys would have to. Plus it's on the large ice too. So there really isn't any real reason to have him unfortunately.

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005

All I am saying is - he deserved to be in a camp. It's a camp. Anything can happen (injuries, hot/cold streak). You cut him after camp? I'm fine with that.

Bottom line is the kid deserved a chance. If somebody who played 8 games this season can be in this camp, then I'm pretty sure that a guy, who is under NHL contract and playing in the NA, can be in this camp too. But the fact is - Czechs didn't want to pay insurance for Jenys (they would pay it for Pastrnak or Vrana).

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Vejmelka, Havlin, Vopelka, Adam, Rudl, Andres, Bahounek, Kutak are out. This time not because of injury! :handclap:
Surprised by Vejmelka though, I thought he will be backup goalie.

Vogel

Apr 28, 2013
Vejmelka, Havlin, Vopelka, Adam, Rudl, Andres, Bahounek, Kutak are out. This time not because of injury! :handclap:
Surprised by Vejmelka though, I thought he will be backup goalie.

Lukas Vopelka was injured in first scrimmage.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Lukas Vopelka was injured in first scrimmage.

Oh that would make sense! Cause I fully expected him to be on the team and was surprised to see him cut. That was the only questionable one for me. He's a really good player. I would say it's a pretty big loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad