2015-16 OUA Thread

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UQTR 6 Carleton 3 - More exciting game tonight. Really felt like the playoffs. Les Patriots are for real. Sebastian Auger (former Seadog) gives them the goaltending they might have been missing last year. If they win the Queen's Cup they should be ranked no lower than 2nd IMHO. Even though the Ravens will be hosting the third place game it has to be very disappointing to lose to UQTR again.

Guelph 3 Western 1 - Only caught the latter half of the third period in this one. Gryphons came back from a 1-0 deficit after two periods. Mustangs really didn't do much after they fell behind. Game two tomorrow night in London.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
What's that...the 5th time in 6 years now that UQTR has eliminated Carleton? Auger was very good tonight...I thought Carleton looked like the better team from what I saw but Auger had a number of big saves.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
What's that...the 5th time in 6 years now that UQTR has eliminated Carleton? Auger was very good tonight...I thought Carleton looked like the better team from what I saw but Auger had a number of big saves.

Yes and agreed on all counts.

UQTR's a very, very good team, but I still think their lack of size/toughness could hurt them against a UofA or UNB.

Was a fun series to call. Our 3 Stars:

1) Auger G UQTR 61/65
2) Giroux F UQTR 3G
3) West F CAR 3A

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Regarding UQTR....just going off of what I see at Nationals and in exhibition games against UNB. I think they have always been dangerous offensively but their goals against numbers, while always very good at the end of the year, were maybe a bit disingenuous and made their goaltending look better than it actually was thanks to the team in front of them moreso than the goaltending itself. When those teams would play the UNB's and Alberta's and didn't have possession as much as they were used to, their defense and goaltending got exposed a bit. However, like Rob said above, this year it looks like Auger gives them the legit goaltending to go with their always potent offense. He stole I don't know how many games for the Sea Dogs over the years.

Last edited:

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
For sure a delay now. Going to 2nd OT. Afternoon games at Thompson always start at 4pm (women or men) during the regular season, but you'd think on days both teams are playing in the playoffs that the matinees would start earlier to avoid this.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
For sure a delay now. Going to 2nd OT. Afternoon games at Thompson always start at 4pm (women or men) during the regular season, but you'd think on days both teams are playing in the playoffs that the matinees would start earlier to avoid this.

You're right. Very poor planning indeed.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I wonder if there are any rules about the start of the game being delayed past a certain amount of time? At what point would they cancel the game?

Edit: See the women's game finally finished. Wonder how much the late start will impact the players?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Crazy 3rd period in the UWO vs GPH game.

4 goals on four shots to start the 3rd period.

hf-uwo-vs-gph.jpg

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Crazy 3rd period in the UWO vs GPH game.

4 goals on four shots to start the 3rd period.

hf-uwo-vs-gph.jpg

This happens fairly often in the OUA on leaguestat. For some games, shots for the period don't get updated until the end of the period, but a shot gets added when a goal is scored - I suspect this is a default on the system when a goal is added. Final shots in the 3rd were 16 - 10 Guelph.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
The Mustangs are the fourth different OUA West champ in the last four seasons. by contrast, the OUA East has has only had five different champions since they absorbed the Quebec teams in 1987-88. Those champs: UQTR (17), McGill (7), Guelph (3), Toronto (1), and Ottawa (1). This will be the 12th straight Queen's Cup (and 18th of the last 19) to include either McGill or UQTR.

Meanwhile, in the last 13 Queen's Cup games, the OUA West has been represented by 8 different teams: Western (5), Lakehead (2), York (1), Brock (1), Laurier (1), Waterloo (1), Windsor (1), and Guelph (1).

These stats dont really tell us anything about the qualities of either division, I just think it's fascinating how different the dynamics are. The OUA West likely offers up the more entertaining regular season/playoffs, because of how parity-rich it is. But while they have more predictable results, the OUA East's top teams are generally stronger on the national stage.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Not that any of this history means anything, but Western has a dismal 3-12 record in the Queen's Cup, including 1-3 against UQTR. These two teams last met in the Queen's Cup in 2005, which Western won. In 2002, UQTR beat Western to win the Queen's Cup and then Western beat UQTR in overtime for their only University Cup.

It's hard to bet against UQTR this year but there will perhaps be extra motivation to win this game because the loser likely has a date with Alberta for their first game at the Nationals. UQTR's 5-2 win against Western earlier this year was a 1 goal game for most of the first 2 periods (a bit of a scoring binge at the end of the second) and then UQTR smothered Western in the 3rd....that game was a matinee following a night game for both teams and this was when Western was dealing with all those injuries. Could be a close game.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Not that any of this history means anything, but Western has a dismal 3-12 record in the Queen's Cup, including 1-3 against UQTR. These two teams last met in the Queen's Cup in 2005, which Western won. In 2002, UQTR beat Western to win the Queen's Cup and then Western beat UQTR in overtime for their only University Cup.

It's hard to bet against UQTR this year but there will perhaps be extra motivation to win this game because the loser likely has a date with Alberta for their first game at the Nationals. UQTR's 5-2 win against Western earlier this year was a 1 goal game for most of the first 2 periods (a bit of a scoring binge at the end of the second) and then UQTR smothered Western in the 3rd....that game was a matinee following a night game for both teams and this was when Western was dealing with all those injuries. Could be a close game.

I might check this one out on Saturday. I think it will be fairly close - both teams could be a bit nervous, Western being the underdog, UQTR, while the favourite, having to play (as always) as the away team after a long travel.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières

And don't forget that third place game in 2010, where Western was leading 4-2 with 1:31 left in the 3rd period and ended up losing 5-4 91 seconds later.

http://www.leaguestat.com/oua/MEN/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=21333

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
This western victory is kind of bittersweet for me and my family. Ive had the pleasure to watch and meet many of these guys over the past three years, due to the fact my brother plays on the team.

But he got injured this year and tore his labrum in his shoulder and has to watch on the sidelines this year.

Really happy for the boys though.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
This happens fairly often in the OUA on leaguestat. For some games, shots for the period don't get updated until the end of the period, but a shot gets added when a goal is scored - I suspect this is a default on the system when a goal is added. Final shots in the 3rd were 16 - 10 Guelph.

Thanks - I figured as much. It was interesting to see when I first came across it.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Congratulations to Drummer for full points. I got shutout :laugh:

Drummer - 8+11+8=27
Snipeshow91 - 10+9+3=22
blackmarketmob - 9+5+7=21
Anchorcam - 10+7+4=21
recruiter - 11+5+3=19
connor macdavid - 9+9+0=18
Finder24 - 7+4+7=18
Dutch - 9+5+3=17
northvanman - 5+5+7=17
UNB Bruins Fan - 7+4+3=14
RED ARMY EAST- DNP+DNP+3=3

OUA Final: 5 points for correct team, 2-point bonus for correct score
OUA Bronze: 4 points for correct team, 2-point bonus for correct score

#1 UQTR v #2 Western:

So dumb that the Pats, the best team in the OUA, have to go on the road for the conference championship. Who makes some of the rules in this league? :laugh: That said, if they play their game on the big ice at Western they should be too much for the Mustangs. I say they reverse the trend from last year when they lost at Guelph...5-2 UQTR

#3 Carleton v. #3 Guelph:

This is a toss-up. Guelph won in Carleton's barn back before Christmas, and obviously the D'Agostini factor could play a big role. Have to wonder what Carleton's morale is like after another loss to UQTR, wonder if they'll be able to pick themselves up for what will be a tough game against UofG...that said, 2-1 CU (OT)

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
#1 UQTR v #2 Western:

So dumb that the Pats, the best team in the OUA, have to go on the road for the conference championship. Who makes some of the rules in this league? :laugh:

It was one of the conditions for having Quebec teams in the OUA cause the RSEQ "bid" is technically the OUA East bid. So if Carleton had actually won and had more points than Western (which off hand I don't know what the final points were) Carleton would have hosted the Queen's Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad