League News: 2015-16 Around the League V (NHL News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Through it all, I learned a few things that I think might be useful to smaller guys hoping to make it to the next level.

The first thing is that you have to get a thick skin. I’ve heard my fair share of chirps throughout the years. Different things about my size, said in so many ways … including plenty of stuff I’m not so comfortable repeating here. Get used to it, because it’ll come. Everyone handles it differently, but I’ve never been a big chirper myself because the sound of the goal horn is loud enough.

Great quote from Johnny Gaudreau. Took from his Players Tribune -writing. I thought that was hilarious. :laugh:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I can't disagree more with that ruling.

After watching the video it's painfully clear to me that he has no intent to do anything but get off the ice since he was in peril, and then at the last second he sees the linesman and gets his arms up to protect himself while trying to sidestep him.

If Wideman was concussed (and it sure as hell looked like he was), then not only was it negligent of the NHL and the Flames to let him back on the ice after the incident but to then slap him with a huge suspension (and forfeiture of $500k+ in salary) where he very well might have been completely out of it is crazy.

Wideman should appeal it because he has a case. If he was concussed, he should put on forced IR instead of suspended.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I can't disagree more with that ruling.

After watching the video it's painfully clear to me that he has no intent to do anything but get off the ice since he was in peril, and then at the last second he sees the linesman and gets his arms up to protect himself while trying to sidestep him.

If Wideman was concussed (and it sure as hell looked like he was), then not only was it negligent of the NHL and the Flames to let him back on the ice after the incident but to then slap him with a huge suspension (and forfeiture of $500k+ in salary) where he very well might have been completely out of it is crazy.

Wideman should appeal it because he has a case. If he was concussed, he should put on forced IR instead of suspended.

If he got a concussion, that information was provided to the league. There's no way Wideman, his agent, or the team would withhold evidence of that.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If he got a concussion, that information was provided to the league. There's no way Wideman, his agent, or the team would withhold evidence of that.

I don't think they'd withhold it either, but that doesn't mean the Colin Campbell made a rational decision with the information provided. Campbell is a dinosaur and given his prior history, it's not unreasonable to think he would downplay the seriousness of a concussion being a mitigating factor here.

This story could get really interesting.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't think they'd withhold it either, but that doesn't mean the Colin Campbell made a rational decision with the information provided. Campbell is a dinosaur and given his prior history, it's not unreasonable to think he would downplay the seriousness of a concussion being a mitigating factor here.

This story could get really interesting.

I expect this story is over. It's exactly the rule (40 I think) that Category 1 abuse of an official gets 20 games so Campbell gave him the minimum he could for brutally cross-checking a linesman. The how/why of it is nearly irrelevant and Wideman's behavior since didn't help his case.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I expect this story is over. It's exactly the rule (40 I think) that Category 1 abuse of an official gets 20 games so Campbell gave him the minimum he could for brutally cross-checking a linesman. The how/why of it is nearly irrelevant and Wideman's behavior since didn't help his case.

Tell Wideman and his agent/lawyer that this is over when they have over $500,000 on the line and a right to appeal.

What behavior are you referring to? (genuinely curious, I may have missed it)

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Tell Wideman and his agent/lawyer that this is over when they have over $500,000 on the line and a right to appeal.

What behavior are you referring to? (genuinely curious, I may have missed it)

Well for one thing, he has failed to show any remorse either from the bench at the time or publicly since. Injured or no, he brutally assaulted a defenseless and unsuspecting person.

In any case, the league can't not punish this severely. Whether Wideman's action was deliberate or not, if they give him a break because he claims it was an accident, then "accidental-on-purpose" retaliation against/intimidation of officials becomes a thing.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Well for one thing, he has failed to show any remorse either from the bench at the time or publicly since. Injured or no, he brutally assaulted a defenseless and unsuspecting person.

In any case, the league can't not punish this severely. Whether Wideman's action was deliberate or not, if they give him a break because he claims it was an accident, then "accidental-on-purpose" retaliation against/intimidation of officials becomes a thing.

The bolded is subject for debate. In my eyes he had no intent. The result sucked for the linesman, but I see it as nothing more than a ref getting a puck deflected into his face: an unfortunate accident. He probably didn't show remorse on the bench BECAUSE HE WAS CONCUSSED. You don't act rationally after your brain slams up against your skull at high speed. After the fact he was probably instructed not to make any public statement regarding the incident.

Also it's very sensational to think that not suspending Wideman for 20 games would make it open season on refs.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The bolded is subject for debate. In my eyes he had no intent. The result sucked for the linesman, but I see it as nothing more than a ref getting a puck deflected into his face: an unfortunate accident. He probably didn't show remorse on the bench BECAUSE HE WAS CONCUSSED. You don't act rationally after your brain slams up against your skull at high speed. After the fact he was probably instructed not to make any public statement regarding the incident.

Also it's very sensational to think that not suspending Wideman for 20 games would make it open season on refs.

No different than a deflected puck? You can't be serious. He cross-checked the guy at full force. You can argue he didn't know what he was doing but you can't really be suggesting he just bumped into the official.

You keep saying he was concussed. But he hasn't claimed that, at least not publicly. The media suggested he was dazed, but that's the only source of that info.

And I've watched enough hockey to know that any advantage will be taken. I didn't say open season, but you can bet someone would see an opportunity.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
No different than a deflected puck? You can't be serious. He cross-checked the guy at full force. You can argue he didn't know what he was doing but you can't really be suggesting he just bumped into the official.

You keep saying he was concussed. But he hasn't claimed that, at least not publicly. The media suggested he was dazed, but that's the only source of that info.

And I've watched enough hockey to know that any advantage will be taken. I didn't say open season, but you can bet someone would see an opportunity.

I'm not arguing he didn't apply force, I'm arguing there was no intent to make contact or injure an official. He wasn't aware of his actions because he was concussed.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm not arguing he didn't apply force, I'm arguing there was no intent to make contact or injure an official. He wasn't aware of his actions because he was concussed.

There is no proof whatsoever that he was concussed, so let's stop saying it as if it were true.

Very good reasons have been given in multiple threads as to why concealing a concussion or misdiagnosing a non-concussion in this case makes absolutely no sense.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
There is no proof whatsoever that he was concussed, so let's stop saying it as if it were true.

Very good reasons have been given in multiple threads as to why concealing a concussion or misdiagnosing a non-concussion in this case makes absolutely no sense.

There is video evidence that Wideman was very woozy on the bench. Can I be sure that Wideman was concussed? Of course not, but based on the video I'd say he's more likely to be concussed than not.

There is a macho culture in the NHL and concussions are concealed all the time, it's ignorant to think otherwise. The NHL concussion protocol is a joke so there is a very plausible scenario for why Wideman would keep playing despite showing symptoms of a concussion.

Meanwhile, you are saying that Wideman got mad that a ref didn't make a call so in order to retaliate he went and cross checked a linesman (who he knows has no authority to make a penalty call). That's a rather ridiculous scenario.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Linesmen can "make calls" when a major is possible.

Sure but how often to players complain to the linesman for not making a penalty call? Almost never because they complain to the refs instead since they make like 99.9% of boarding calls.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Sure but how often to players complain to the linesman for not making a penalty call? Almost never because they complain to the refs instead since they make like 99.9% of boarding calls.

He was pissed and took it out on the nearest zebra. Don't overthink this.

As noted, neither he, his agent, or the Flames have made any claims about a head injury. PR 101 says you come out with that right away if it's true.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He was pissed and took it out on the nearest zebra. Don't overthink this.

As noted, neither he, his agent, or the Flames have made any claims about a head injury. PR 101 says you come out with that right away if it's true.

He got his bell rung and couldn't think or see straight while skating toward the bench, then stuck his arms up instinctually when he saw he was about to make contact with someone. It's a simple scenario that isn't contrived at all.

And PR 101 says don't any anything to the media.

BPMrules

Nov 10, 2009
Baltimore, MD
20 Games is fair. It appeases the refs association, doles out the punishment according to the rules, and sets an example. On the other side, Wideman, his agent, and the NHLPA will obviously appeal. They will probably knock it down to 10 games, and that will be that.

The thing that is interesting to me is how often the words "woozy", "foggy", and "concussion" are getting thrown around, when trying to figure out an explanation. If he was experiencing any of those things, wouldnt it be a Coach/trainer/spotter's job to get him in the back and make sure he is okay? I'm pretty sure he missed 1 or 2 shifts, if any at all, after it happened. That will be quite a thing for the league to explain away, if they are being so adamant about concussion protocol.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There is video evidence that Wideman was very woozy on the bench. Can I be sure that Wideman was concussed? Of course not, but based on the video I'd say he's more likely to be concussed than not.

There is a macho culture in the NHL and concussions are concealed all the time, it's ignorant to think otherwise. The NHL concussion protocol is a joke so there is a very plausible scenario for why Wideman would keep playing despite showing symptoms of a concussion.

Meanwhile, you are saying that Wideman got mad that a ref didn't make a call so in order to retaliate he went and cross checked a linesman (who he knows has no authority to make a penalty call). That's a rather ridiculous scenario.

Where did I say that? I was initially in the same camp you are but as things have developed it's much less likely that he was concussed. It makes no sense to conceal a concussion when he stands to lose half a million dollars, and suffer a serious blot on his reputation.

Was he "woozy"? Possibly. Was he concussed? Probably not, and there was no diagnosis of a concussion. So don't state it like it's a fact, because it isn't. It's your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad