Prospect Info: 2014 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Nice player...but enough with the ****ing wingers already.

The capitals should really make the move to eliminate 'Center' as a forward position and call them all forwards. :laugh:

You know how it is with the draft. Just depends on where one picks and the particular draft year.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I like Hawryluk too, I would be happy with him at 44. Some have mentioned Andreas Englund too at 44. He is similar to Peters. Shut down type defenseman who plays a simple game. Similar to Douglas Murray/Anton Volchenkov, but with better skating apparently.

Guys who play like Douglas Murray or Anton Volchenkov in juniors rarely reach the NHL (and fewer still become useful players). I'm not particularly interested in guys like Peters or Englund in the earlier rounds. If you're going to be a quality player in the NHL, you're almost certainly going to be an impact on most areas of the ice in junior (including seeing powerplay time and putting up some points). Even Karl Alzner scored 47 points in 63 games in his draft year. If you're a 6'7" freak like Sam Morin, maybe it's worth the gamble. Otherwise, I'd pass on most "defensive defensemen" coming out of junior hockey.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You know how it is with the draft. Just depends on where one picks and the particular draft year.
Five winger first round picks and running, though. They haven't selected a true non-winger in the first round since John Carlson six years ago. True, they haven't been able to develop centers for **** and traded their last two internally produced ones for not much but...c'mon.

I think they'll go safe and be mindful of that scarcity and their needs given some of the statements made by MacLellan. Maybe they'll trade down, maybe not but no more undisciplined pure skill seduction early unless it's a premium position. If McPhee were still around I'd have less hope that they'd avoid a Fiala or Perlini for a prospect that brings more facets of the game to the table. Fabbri/Larkin/McCann/Barbashev. Teh glue.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Guys who play like Douglas Murray or Anton Volchenkov in juniors rarely reach the NHL (and fewer still become useful players). I'm not particularly interested in guys like Peters or Englund in the earlier rounds. If you're going to be a quality player in the NHL, you're almost certainly going to be an impact on most areas of the ice in junior (including seeing powerplay time and putting up some points). Even Karl Alzner scored 47 points in 63 games in his draft year. If you're a 6'7" freak like Sam Morin, maybe it's worth the gamble. Otherwise, I'd pass on most "defensive defensemen" coming out of junior hockey.

Shea Weber in his pre-draft year: 2 goals, 16 assists in 70 games (WHL)
Duncan Keith in his pre-draft year: 3 goals, 12 assists in 41 games (NCAA)
Ryan Suter in his post-draft year: 3 goals, 16 assists in 39 games (NCAA)
Braydon Coburn in his pre-draft year: 3 goals, 16 assists in 53 games (WHL)
Marc Staal in his pre-draft year: 6 goals, 20 assists in 65 games (OHL)

Plenty of very good all-around defensemen in the NHL were pretty much no-or-little-offense players in their draft years.

There's also the younger crop of Jonas Brodin, Jarred Tinordi, and Erik Gudbranson who didn't show much offensively, but are turing into (varying levels of) nice players.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Shea Weber in his pre-draft year: 2 goals, 16 assists in 70 games (WHL)
Duncan Keith in his pre-draft year: 3 goals, 12 assists in 41 games (NCAA)
Ryan Suter in his post-draft year: 3 goals, 16 assists in 39 games (NCAA)
Braydon Coburn in his pre-draft year: 3 goals, 16 assists in 53 games (WHL)
Marc Staal in his pre-draft year: 6 goals, 20 assists in 65 games (OHL)

Plenty of very good all-around defensemen in the NHL were pretty much no-or-little-offense players in their draft years.

There's also the younger crop of Jonas Brodin, Jarred Tinordi, and Erik Gudbranson who didn't show much offensively, but are turing into (varying levels of) nice players.

Keith, Suter, and Brodin weren't playing in junior hockey. Weber was a late bloomer (wasn't even selected in the WHL draft), was a WHL rookie in his draft year, and was behind some older defensemen on the depth chart (namely Duncan Keith and Josh Gorges). All-in-all, a pretty atypical example.

Coburn and Staal are better examples, yet both put up double the production of Peters (not to mention Coburn begins to border on that Morin size I was talking about).

Can a defensive defenseman become a quality player in the NHL? Yeah. But it's the exception. I'd rather invest the early selections in more well-rounded defensemen.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Five winger first round picks and running, though. They haven't selected a true non-winger in the first round since John Carlson six years ago. True, they haven't been able to develop centers for **** and traded their last two internally produced ones for not much but...c'mon.

I think they'll go safe and be mindful of that scarcity and their needs given some of the statements made by MacLellan. Maybe they'll trade down, maybe not but no more undisciplined pure skill seduction early unless it's a premium position. If McPhee were still around I'd have less hope that they'd avoid a Fiala or Perlini for a prospect that brings more facets of the game to the table. Fabbri/Larkin/McCann/Barbashev. Teh glue.

Bolded=would not be surprised at all if this plays out.

I admit I fall in love with skill (probably why I love the russian player in general going way back). But imho it is impossible to teach compete. Thats is just like wired. I think all of us growing up playing sports/games remember those dudes that played hard and played to win. Despite his size from everything out there Fabbri seems to have that and be that kinda of dude.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Re: Peters, he also played on a horrid offensive team. The leading scorer had 54 points and only 3 players were over 40. Last year, as an underager on a team with much more scoring depth, he had twice as many assists. Put him in a better situation this season and he puts up numbers like Coburn and Staal.

And I don't get the size thing. We've basically got two historical examples (Chara, Myers) of that mattering and a long list of busts (Valabik, Finley, Mihalik). Why should monstrously sized prospects be considered any safer

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
And I don't get the size thing. We've basically got two historical examples (Chara, Myers) of that mattering and a long list of busts (Valabik, Finley, Mihalik). Why should monstrously sized prospects be considered any safer
Risk vs. Reward
It's not any safer, but the potential reward is higher. The hope is that they can continue to be that dominating presence on the back-end as a pro. Granted, it often ends between a bust and Jeff Schultz, but the Prongers, Myers, and Charas of the world entice you with the potential result.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Nylander says SEL or NHL, no junior hockey for him.

Hopefully this is seen as negative. Some teams would hate not being able to control his development and fear he could be sat in favor of older players in the SEL, which is very possible.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
MacLellan interview. Sounds like they'd pretty much like to move up for Fleury if possible as he mentions the three centers and two defensemen likely to be off the board. Very unlikely they'd be able to move up for one of the centers or Ekblad--the likely top four picks--absent a significant offer involving more than picks. Perhaps at 8-9-10 one of those teams would be willing to move down just for another pick should Fleury still be available. Not sure it's really worth 13+44 to move up for Fleury but that depends on how they value him, those second tier centers and what they may be able to get at 44. Clearly it would seem they at least value him as the second-best D (not mentioned by name but you'd have to think it's him).

If they don't move up they're open to perhaps moving back depending on how it shakes out. From a tiering standpoint it makes sense to move down unless there's perhaps a forward they really like (Fabbri?).

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I would be happy with just about anyone. Over the past few weeks, I have managed to get hyped over every prospect so I am not disappointed come tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad