Prospect Info: 2014 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I'm increasingly fond of trading down to take Barbashev, whatever defenseman at the top of the 2nd, and Kamenev with the other second round pick.

Based purely on McKenzie's rankings, if the draft goes exactly how he has them ranked.
Trade down to Tampa for 19th, 50th and either 80th or fourth 2015
19: Barbashev (plan B: Kempe/Ho-Sang).
44: Glover (Englund)
50: Point (Donato)
Third round: two of Kirkland, De Leo, Magyar, Watson. Ideally, Kirkland and Magyar.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
No interest in Ho Sang. The kid is already pretty well developed physically so there's likely not a ton of room for improvement there, and his hockey sense is lacking.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm increasingly fond of trading down to take Barbashev, whatever defenseman at the top of the 2nd, and Kamenev with the other second round pick.
Hard to say how much demand there will be, though, at least to move down and remain in the top 20. STL or ANA down at 21 & 24 respectively could have interest moving up quite a bit but that lack of separation may otherwise may it tough to move down and remain in the top 20. There will be one or more of Fabbri, Fiala and Perlini available and perhaps that makes it attractive enough for other teams to want to move up. From a purely offensive upside standpoint I could see there being a belief that after the top ten and those three there's some separation between them and the rest. But how far down would be acceptable? 21+33 or 24+38+85 enough value?

At least these two Russians mentioned and Scherbak all play a fairly North American game. They could be strong value picks at various points.

One way or another I'd like for them to pick up one of Dougherty, Masin or Pettersson. I think they're the cream of the fringe first to mid-second D group.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Can't say I followed the prospects all that closely, but after my google prospect scouting I'd like in order: 1) Fleury 2) Fabbri 3) Larkin

I have no idea if those guys are expected to be there and of course someone can slip. Just want someone who's competitive/intense.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Can't say I followed the prospects all that closely, but after my google prospect scouting I'd like in order: 1) Fleury 2) Fabbri 3) Larkin

I have no idea if those guys are expected to be there and of course someone can slip. Just want someone who's competitive/intense.

Then you'd also be happy with Barbashev.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'd be on board with Sanheim toward the end of the first, not top half. Though if someone covets him at 13, could be a strong opportunity to trade back if there's no player they like at that spot.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Comment: Robby Fabbri. Could he be a #1 C in the NHL?

Red Line: Yes, I think so. At Red Line, we're frankly a bit puzzled that he isn't talked about as much as the other top end offensive talents. All he did was become the real ringleader, at age 17, of what was the best team in the CHL all season. And there are a lot of talented veterans on that club who have already been high NHL draft picks. The only real question is the size: he's only 5-10/175.

Interesting.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
The thing about Fabbri is you have Nylander, Kapanen, and Ehlers all ahead of him, but are only 1 inch taller and all are lighter than him.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd be on board with Sanheim toward the end of the first, not top half. Though if someone covets him at 13, could be a strong opportunity to trade back if there's no player they like at that spot.
I don't think he lasts past 20 and in a wide open draft with perhaps no trade down opportunity it's not a horrible option at 13 even. It would be bold but in a lesser draft who cares? Vogel asked Woodlief that very question and he didn't think it was outlandish for that very reason.

I'd rather one of the four centers but his upside is significant and the trajectory of his development has been huge. He equalled Fleury's mobility at the U18s (if not necessarily his overall D positioning) and easily outproduced and outcreated him offensively. His combination of size, mobility and ability to make a play without much risk in doing so is pretty appealing.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Sanheim definitely. Much more of a pro game/frame. Honka is really the only other D alternative after Fleury and he's a smaller RD at that. I don't think he's quite dynamic enough to think he brings a great deal more to the table than Bowey. So Sanheim either way. eAngelo will tumble.

Woodlief mentioned Fabbri, Larkin & McCann as good fits at 13. For 44 he mentioned Mayo, Irving, Englund as D possibilities.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I have recently completed a mock draft, and as a Leafs fan who frequents the Leafs board, I’d appreciate the input from fans of other rooting interests. I have the Caps taking a high end two-way center. I hope some of you take the time to read and enjoy it. I have included blurbs about each draft prospect and selection. This is my best guess of actual picks (not including trades) and I’m curious as to how correct I am come draft day. I mostly follow the OHL as an avid fan of the Frontenacs but I have seen most of the first round prospects play atleast a game or two. Any feedback is appreciated and I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Thanks!

[thread]1695743[thread]
[thread=1695743]Click Me![/thread]

Two-way center is a good call, but I'd rather have Larkin or Barbashev as a two-way center.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I prefer Sanheim. Seems to make better, quicker decisions without sacrificing creativity.

My hesitance with Sanheim is how much of a late riser he is. How much stock should be put in the U18s vs. the larger body of work? He had easier minutes than a lot of his peers in the CHL and really didn't blossom until late in the season. If you think that's genuine progression and growth, go for it. If it's just a hot streak, I don't want to use a 1st on him.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
My hesitance with Sanheim is how much of a late riser he is. How much stock should be put in the U18s vs. the larger body of work? He had easier minutes than a lot of his peers in the CHL and really didn't blossom until late in the season. If you think that's genuine progression and growth, go for it. If it's just a hot streak, I don't want to use a 1st on him.

One of the advanced stat sites (I think it was ExtraSkater) put up some decent CHL stats and stat extrapolations (obviously use caution with the latter) including QoC. I believe some of the more active members of the stat community have already used those to do some trends as well.

In any case, that's one reason I wouldn't want to take him at 13, though if they're set on getting at least one decent D prospect out of the draft they might be forced to, given how quickly the D talent drops off compared to the forwards.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
One of the advanced stat sites (I think it was ExtraSkater) put up some decent CHL stats and stat extrapolations (obviously use caution with the latter) including QoC. I believe some of the more active members of the state community have already used those to do some trends as well.

In any case, that's one reason I wouldn't want to take him at 13, though if they're set on getting at least one decent D prospect out of the draft they might be forced to, given how quickly the D talent drops off compared to the forwards.

Japers did an article using some of those stats, which was part of why I was thinking about Sanheim and DeAngelo.
http://www.japersrink.com/2014/6/24/5814470/quality-of-competition-chl-ekblad-fleury-deangelo-honka

Granted, I've already espoused my concerns about relying stats in amateur scouting. But I'm also not a professional scout, so I can only use the tools available to me. :laugh:

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Japers did an article using some of those stats, which was part of why I was thinking about Sanheim and DeAngelo.
http://www.japersrink.com/2014/6/24/5814470/quality-of-competition-chl-ekblad-fleury-deangelo-honka

Granted, I've already espoused my concerns about relying stats in amateur scouting. But I'm also not a professional scout, so I can only use the tools available to me. :laugh:

Agreed, but at least now we have an estimate of a gauge of whether a prospect's body of work is against the cream of the crop :laugh:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
My McKenzie ranking draft would be:

13 - Robby Fabbri
44 - Alex Peters/Jayce Hawryluk

Love the way Hawryluk gets after it, but Peters' combination of size, skating, and shutdown ability win out. RLR compares his style to Willie Mitchell, which sounds exactly what the organization could use more of.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
My McKenzie ranking draft would be:

13 - Robby Fabbri
44 - Alex Peters/Jayce Hawryluk

Love the way Hawryluk gets after it, but Peters' combination of size, skating, and shutdown ability win out. RLR compares his style to Willie Mitchell, which sounds exactly what the organization could use more of.

I like Hawryluk too, I would be happy with him at 44. Some have mentioned Andreas Englund too at 44. He is similar to Peters. Shut down type defenseman who plays a simple game. Similar to Douglas Murray/Anton Volchenkov, but with better skating apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->