2014 CIS Nationals (Saskatoon)

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
As we are now into the playoffs - might as well start a thread on this year's Nationals.

Host School: U. of Saskatchewan
Arena: Credit Union Centre (originally Saskatchewan Place)
Capacity: 15,190

Number of Pools: 2
Teams per Pool: 3

CIS Pool creation dictates when two teams are from the same conference, they will play in separate Pools. Seeding is based on the last published CIS TOP 10 and are adjusted based on the conference rule just mentioned. The top three seeds are the Conference Champions. In the case of three teams from the same conference (which only applies when the OUA gets the rotating bid*) the OUA-Champion and OUA-Runner-up are split while the OUA-3rd place can end up on either side depending on the placement of the OUA-Champion.

*- the CIS no longer allows the host conference to receive the rotating bid

Pool-A (Afternoon)
CW Champion (opposite pool from USask)
TBD
TBD

Pool-B (Evening)
USask
TBD
TBD

Participating Teams
At this point the only team guaranteed to be playing is USask. They will be the wild-card given their loss last weekend (or American meltdown you might say) to UBC. USask had a lead of 2-0 and 3-1 in the first - then a 3 goal stretch for UBC had the dogs down 4-3 going into the 3rd. The lead was extended to 5-3 in the first minute only to have the dogs come back a minute later to make it 5-4. UBC sealed the win with a 6th goal mid-way through the 3rd. USask outshot UBC 61 to 36. This game was played at Credit Union Centre which is not USask's regular home rink.

Other teams: CW-Champion, AUS-Champion, OUA-Champion, OUA-Runner-up & rotating spot to OUA (3rd Place)

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
McGill and UNB Rings

This is what everyone is playing for.

hfb-rings.jpg

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Participants

There are no definite participants, but we know what the final series are and there is the potential for some new blood at Nationals.

Atlantic University Sport
#3 Acadia vs SMU (Best of 5)

Canada West
#1 Alberta vs #4 Calgary (Best of 3)

OUA-East
#5 Carleton vs #6 McGill (Best of 3)

OUA-West
Lakehead vs Windsor (Best of 3)

Wild-Card
OUA-East loser vs OUA-West loser (Single Elimination) at the higher seeds rink. Since the OUA-East teams have better records than either OUA-West team, the OUA-East loser will host the Wild-Card game.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Wild-Card
OUA-East loser vs OUA-West loser (Single Elimination) at the higher seeds rink. Since the OUA-East teams have better records than either OUA-West team, the OUA-East loser will host the Wild-Card game.

That's a good point re: OUAE loser hosting the bronze medal game - it might not be the same in the Queen's Cup, where the game is hosted by the highest remaining *Ontario-based* school. I know both teams go to Nationals, but the game still means a great deal to the participants, as well as to the seeding/pool structure of the UCup. That provision didn't hurt UQTR last year, but could hurt McGill this year - especially if they top Carleton, only to have to go to Thunder Bay to play Lakehead (11-1-2 at home this year).

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
That's a good point re: OUAE loser hosting the bronze medal game - it might not be the same in the Queen's Cup, where the game is hosted by the highest remaining *Ontario-based* school. I know both teams go to Nationals, but the game still means a great deal to the participants, as well as to the seeding/pool structure of the UCup. That provision didn't hurt UQTR last year, but could hurt McGill this year - especially if they top Carleton, only to have to go to Thunder Bay to play Lakehead (11-1-2 at home this year).

You are correct. The Queen's Cup must be hosted by an Ontario school (at one time the Queen's Cup was hosted by a single team for all games, now each Semi is at the higher seed's home while the finals are hosted by the Ontario school in the finals).

And 'yes' this impacts UCup Pool Placement as the OUA Champion is now ranked in the top 3 (not always the case) and the Runner-up is placed in the opposite pool.

Long distance travel to Lakehead has been their advantage since they entered the league.

The same could be said in reverse for Lakehead having to go to McGill for the Wild-card game. Western had to do this a few years ago by visiting UQTR - that's a long trip.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
5 of 6 Teams Determined & Pools

The OUA and CW finished up their playoffs over the weekend and Acadia won out over SMU tonight to win the AUS title (3-games-to-1). We now know 5 of the six teams.

CW-Champions - Alberta (over Calgary)
OUA-East Champion - McGill (over Carleton)
OUA-West Champion - Windsor (over Lakehead)
AUS Champion - Acadia (over SMU)
Host - Saskatchewan
OUA Wild-card is Lakehead or Carleton

Queen's Cup (OUA Champion) is McGill @ Windsor & OUA Wild-card is Lakehead @ Carleton. Both games go this Sat.

Tentative/Unofficial Pools

Pool B (evening)
#2 - Acadia
#3 - OUA Champion (McGill or Windsor)
#6 - Saskatchewan

Pool A (afternoon)
#1 Alberta
#4 OUA Runner-up (McGill or Windsor)
#5 OUA Wild-card (Carleton or Lakehead)

With Saskatchewan electing to play Friday/Saturday - the Thursday matches are likely Alberta vs OUA Wild-card and Acadia vs OUA-Champion.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Definitely Acadia OUA #1 on Thursday night. There is no way the rankings will change, so the pools will be as you posted.

SP Saskatuned

Aug 2, 2011
Saskatoon, SASK.
2014 U-CUP TEAMS:
Windsor Lancers (OUA champs) join host Saskatchewan Huskies, Alberta Golden Bears (CW champs), Acadia Axemen (AUS champs), McGill Redmen (OUA runner-up) and Carleton Ravens (OUA bronze, wild-card berth).

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So Alberta/McGill/Carleton and Acadia/Windsor/Saskatchewan....if I had to guess it will be Alberta/Acadia in the final.

The Alberta/McGill game is the most intriguing match-up to me.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
My gut says you have Alberta and then everyone else. I think the OUA will show quite well this year and all three teams are at least as strong as Acadia and Saskatchewan. Ironically, the champion Windsor is probably the weakest of the 3 OUA teams but have been riding a red hot goalie in Parker Van Buskirk. Alberta will be in tough in their pool

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
No question Alberta will have it's work cut out for them being in the same pool as McGill and Carleton. The Redmen and Ravens have battled each other and UQTR in a highly-competitive Division all season.
Alberta has three lines that score and a D that can move the puck, but the Golden Bears depth advantage gets offset by the commercial breaks at Nationals...
Should be fun.

Stauffer in Raleigh

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Just reviewing the likely pools - they wont be official until Mon/Tue but there is no reason to believe they will change.

Pool A (afternoon)
#1 CW Champion - Alberta (25-2-1 / 4-0 = 29-2-1)
#4 OUA Runner-up - McGill (21-5-2 / 6-2 = 27-7-2)
#5 OUA Wild-card - Carleton (22-5-1 / 6-3 = 28-8-1)

Pool B (evening)
#2 - AUS Champion - Acadia (21-4-3 / 6-2 = 27-6-3)
#3 - OUA Champion - Windsor (17-11-0 / 7-1 = 24-12-0)
#6 - Host - Saskatchewan (17-10-1 / 1-2 = 18-12-1)

Pool A - OUA East vs Alberta. Carleton could be the darkhorse here.

Pool B - USask gets TV timeouts to battle their Saturday night opponent. If it's Acadia - look for a lot of Cazzola-Heelis-Thompson after each breaks. They (USask) are the darkhorse in this pool.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Nationals

My gut says you have Alberta and then everyone else. I think the OUA will show quite well this year and all three teams are at least as strong as Acadia and Saskatchewan. Ironically, the champion Windsor is probably the weakest of the 3 OUA teams but have been riding a red hot goalie in Parker Van Buskirk. Alberta will be in tough in their pool

Acadia has no University Cup experience, but made it out of a very tough league that saw UNB (2013 National Champs) get knocked off against SMU (2013 National Silver medalists)
The Axeman probably boast the most dangerous top line of all teams at this years Nationals, with Heelis, Thompson and Cazzolla and have good depth throughout the lineup. AUS all star defenseman Chris Owens may be the best defenseman also at Saskatoon?
All 4 players were a big part of the mix for Team Canada, who won gold at this year's World University games in Italy.
Anybody who watches AUS hockey will tell you that they are a step above the OUA teams in Carleton,McGill and Windsor, but Alberta may be on another level this year?
Saskatchewan is probably the weakest of all 6 teams at this years Nationals and are not as strong as the team that hosted last year, fact!
With UNB out, it's Alberta's to lose, but the Bears haven't had the best of luck at this tournament,since 2008.
It looks to be a competitive mix of teams and anything can happen!

chlfan99

Aug 10, 2010
My personal opinion here but i do not believe that the AUS is much better than the OUA teams as you mentioned. in the past 2 years Carleton has beaten acadia, SMU, and crushed dalhousie and st thomas in exibition play. Theyre only loss was to UNB in a one goal game in those games. OUA having 11 or 12 more teams in the league makes for AUS a tougher league to get wins as every game is against good teams, but the top teams in the OUA are equal to the top teams in the AUS. AUS only having 8 or 9 teams is like if OUA was a 8 or 9 team league and you knock out the bottem 5 of each division east and west to eliminate the easy games the top teams have. I see an OUA team winning it this year!

thook

Jan 9, 2010
Acadia has no University Cup experience, but made it out of a very tough league that saw UNB (2013 National Champs) get knocked off against SMU (2013 National Silver medalists)
The Axeman probably boast the most dangerous top line of all teams at this years Nationals, with Heelis, Thompson and Cazzolla and have good depth throughout the lineup. AUS all star defenseman Chris Owens may be the best defenseman also at Saskatoon?
All 4 players were a big part of the mix for Team Canada, who won gold at this year's World University games in Italy.
Anybody who watches AUS hockey will tell you that they are a step above the OUA teams in Carleton,McGill and Windsor, but Alberta may be on another level this year?
Saskatchewan is probably the weakest of all 6 teams at this years Nationals and are not as strong as the team that hosted last year, fact!
With UNB out, it's Alberta's to lose, but the Bears haven't had the best of luck at this tournament,since 2008.
It looks to be a competitive mix of teams and anything can happen!

Don't blink because before you know it, it could be an all oua final! Then you'll hear a bunch of excuses of why went wrong with the Atlantic and west teams! The OUA is sending 3 solid hockey teams this year.

CoconutHockey*

Don't blink because before you know it, it could be an all oua final! Then you'll hear a bunch of excuses of why went wrong with the Atlantic and west teams! The OUA is sending 3 solid hockey teams this year.

Carleton is probably the most underated team in the country and I wouldn't be surprised to see them upset UofA in the opening game. On the other hand, McGill is as good as any team in the country on paper. They have 2 goalies with AHL experience, 6 defencemen that posted a season of 40+ pts in the CHL, and a offense driven by Cedric Mcnicoll (3 years of AHL experience). Windsor might not be as good as the other two teams on paper, but they play a flawless game and their goalie has been standing on his head in the last couple of games.

With the actual format, anything can happen, but I have to agree - this is Alberta`s tournament to lose. We'll see how to fare against the top-2 teams from the OUA East in their pool.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Excited for the week's hockey. Alberta and Acadia come in as favourites, but despite the number 1 seeding, Alberta likely draws the harder pool. While being an OUA West fan, I also agree with Van that the OUA champ Windsor may be the weakest of the 3 OUA teams. Alberta will have to play 2 strong games and hope they don't run into Keaton Hartigan like goaltending like last year.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Excited for the week's hockey. Alberta and Acadia come in as favourites, but despite the number 1 seeding, Alberta likely draws the harder pool. While being an OUA West fan, I also agree with Van that the OUA champ Windsor may be the weakest of the 3 OUA teams. Alberta will have to play 2 strong games and hope they don't run into Keaton Hartigan like goaltending like last year.

This is exactly what makes Windsor so dangerous this year. Van Buskirk was the difference maker in game 3 against Western and he stopped 50 shots against McGill last night. He is this year's Hartigan, but Windsor is a much more rounded team than Waterloo was last year.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Oua

My personal opinion here but i do not believe that the AUS is much better than the OUA teams as you mentioned. in the past 2 years Carleton has beaten acadia, SMU, and crushed dalhousie and st thomas in exibition play. Theyre only loss was to UNB in a one goal game in those games. OUA having 11 or 12 more teams in the league makes for AUS a tougher league to get wins as every game is against good teams, but the top teams in the OUA are equal to the top teams in the AUS. AUS only having 8 or 9 teams is like if OUA was a 8 or 9 team league and you knock out the bottem 5 of each division east and west to eliminate the easy games the top teams have. I see an OUA team winning it this year!

Like I said, anything can happen and this years field is very competitive!
The OUA's elite teams have grown stronger in the last few years, no question. McGill,Windsor and Carelton are to be reckoned with and have a shot, I agree!

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I'm looking forward to this tournament. I have tickets to the Huskies game on the Saturday night and was kicking around going to the 1 PM game on Thursday too. If the Dogs somehow make the Finals, I will hit that up too.

I suspect the evening games will be well attended. It is beautiful here in Saskatoon, it should be warmish (below 0 though) and little if any snow. The Thursday night game, the host committee has a draw for fans who wouldn't care about McGill/Acadia. Three former U of S Huskies, now Saskatchewan Roughriders are going to be there, along with the Grey Cup. The Rider fan in me sorta wants to go as I've missed the Grey Cup stops. But as for the autographs I already got two of the three at a Huskies basketball game in January.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
If I recall correctly, the organizers always make an effort to have teams from the same conference in opposite pools (other than OUA host/OUA wildcard years, where it's impossible). What's the reason for this? If I was UofA, I'd be mighty upset that I have to open against Carleton instead of USask who, regardless of home ice, is pretty clearly the 6th-ranked team in this field.

Would the Bears rather face a team they're 5-0 against already this season, or a team that has lost 4 times since Christmas?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If I recall correctly, the organizers always make an effort to have teams from the same conference in opposite pools (other than OUA host/OUA wildcard years, where it's impossible). What's the reason for this? If I was UofA, I'd be mighty upset that I have to open against Carleton instead of USask who, regardless of home ice, is pretty clearly the 6th-ranked team in this field.

Would the Bears rather face a team they're 5-0 against already this season, or a team that has lost 4 times since Christmas?

Carleton probably feels the same way, how do they justify Saskatchewan as the number 5 seed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad