2014 Canada World Junior team

Status
Not open for further replies.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Any chance Koekkoek makes the team? Looked great in development camp and shoulder seems to be finally healed. Think he gets back to his preinjury form and will be hard to keep off the team.

If he can just stay healthy and take a step forward this year, I agree. His development has stagnated a bit with all the games he's missed, but he's due for a big season. I'm excited to see the damage he can do with Rychel on the PP this year.

NHLFAN1989

Feb 5, 2011
Correct. He had zero in game action for about a month heading into that camp, so obviously he was in an extremely tough position in respect to the rest of the field.

Considering what Spott had to say about him at camp, it is surprising that he was indeed cut at all (in the first wave to boot).

He was cut on the last day of camp in a lock out year. That's pretty damn impressive for a player in his draft year.

Sloth Slothersons*

Nurse is the best dman available. He better be on the Captain, top-pairing, #1 PK/PP, and extra attacker.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think there is a good chance that he will be in Calgary next year. If he isn't and he is at WJC, I think the captain will be one of the returning players.

Monahan can't be a returning player. This is his only year of WJC eligibility in which he's been invited to play on the team.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
The suspension was for 4 games, but he served one of them last year. He's got 3 to go and there are conflicting reports on whether the pre-tourney games count or not.

Has anyone gotten clarification on this?

Reinhart was slapped with a four-game suspension for what was ruled a deliberate high stick to the head of American Vince Trocheck in the semi-finals. Reinhart has argued the high-stick was accidental although his appeal was denied. If the New York Islanders prospect is on the team this year then he will need to sit out the first three games

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=429643

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Monahan can't be a returning player. This is his only year of WJC eligibility in which he's been invited to play on the team.

Yes, I understand that (and, technically he hasn't been 'invited to play on the team' - he'll have to make it through tryouts in December...although he's quite certain to do so). And last year he was eligible, he just got cut. My point was that when they pick their captain, I think it will be one of the players who played last year and are playing this year (Drouin or Rielly)...now, if there aren't any repeat players then it will probably be a new one...i'd guess monahan or horvat.

StringerBell

He was cut on the last day of camp in a lock out year. That's pretty damn impressive for a player in his draft year.

Minor correction, but Monahan was sent home in the first round of cuts, not the last. Still impressive to make the camp obviously.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Mantha might be ok on the PP considering he won't have to skate much and can be lazy. Essentially be himself.

Yeah and you gotta think if he acts like himself he'll score more goals than anyone else on the roster which would be awesome on the PP, or are you to busy crying that theres dmen on the point instead of Shinkaruk to realize that? :cry:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
So last year didn't happen? He got cut...just venture a few posts up for reference.

Damn it, there was no easy/correct shortcut to what I was trying to say (that he didn't play last year, clearly will be on the team this year if circumstances permit).

Yes, I understand that (and, technically he hasn't been 'invited to play on the team' - he'll have to make it through tryouts in December...although he's quite certain to do so). And last year he was eligible, he just got cut. My point was that when they pick their captain, I think it will be one of the players who played last year and are playing this year (Drouin or Rielly)...now, if there aren't any repeat players then it will probably be a new one...i'd guess monahan or horvat.
Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. I definitely misread the crap out of your post.

Last edited:

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah and you gotta think if he acts like himself he'll score more goals than anyone else on the roster which would be awesome on the PP, or are you to busy crying that theres dmen on the point instead of Shinkaruk to realize that? :cry:

If you want the guy who'll score more its Shinkaruk. The guy with 86 goals in his last 2 seasons.

If you want a pylon that could be ok when there's no pressure on him, I guess Mantha is your man.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
rielly or reinhart could be good possibilities

the problem with reinhart is he's going to be suspended for the first 3 games of the tournament, i think. while this won't affect his inclusion on the team - i doubt they'd give the C to someone who is missing the beginning of the tourney...and someone less lazy than i am needs to either go to google or tweet some of the wjc-related journalists...b/c i remember clearly last year they said reinhart's suspension would be carried over to the tourney games...but can't remember where i read/heard it.

i would think if either rielly or drouin are still around it would be one of them. if not, i'd guess monahan (if he's there), after that i'd guess laughton or horvat, maybe hudon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->