Olympics: 2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I don't know who makes it but here are players that should NOT be on the roster:

MAF - are we seriously going to go up against Lundquist and Quick with Fleury in net?

Hamhuis/Myers/Schultz/Del Zotto - seriously?

I agree with you on that one. At this point I think it is Price's net to lose. If he manages to a good year, TOP 5 stats Habs make the playoffs or heaven forbid win a round, then Price is our guy... lets roll with him and hope for once our offense clicks. Has there been a tournament since 98 where our offence seemed in sync for the entire 6 or 7 games. It must be selective amnesia, but I do not remember one game of 2006. ))) I just remember breaking furniture.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/02/choosing-canadas-hockey-team-for-sochi-olympics.html

I can't seem to open the current thread. Mods please merge if need be. My apologies if this article has already been posted. Basically Tim Wharnsby, Elliotte Friedman and 4 NHL scouts selected who they thought would be on the roster in Sochi. The unanimous decisions were:

Crosby
Giroux
Toews
Stamkos
Perry
Bergeron

Weber
Doughty
Keith

Price

Notable absences from the list include Marleau, Thornton, St. Louis and Heatley.

Lucic getting three votes is by far the weirdest thing about this vote. He isn't particularly close to being a top Canadian forward, and it's hard to think of many players who are more ill suited to international ice. Letang only getting two votes is also odd. Presumably Canada is going to want a mobile defence, and it's hard to picture many guys ahead of Letang outside of the obvious locks.

Hey guys pens fan here. Just wondering who u guys think your captain will be? Well i guess im mainly wondering if its gonna be sid?

I would guess that they will pick Crosby given his level of fame and his level of play. I am hoping they don't however, as it doesn't seem like Crosby is held in high regard throughout the NHL. I don't think there is an ideal captain for Canada unless Iginla goes on a massive tear over the next year.

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
ferraro team

ray ferraro from tsn picked

price ward fleury

keith weber doughty peterangelo letang staal girardi

crosby stamkos staal
nash tavares eberle
giroux toews perry
seguin richards sharp/jordan staal

Thesensation19*

Everyone wants to name a roster without talking about whose coaching and what system they wish to play.

Babcock was the Olympic coach and won Gold but Hitchcock has international experience as well and seems to have a lot of success when given control. Though I am sure 80% of this team will remain the same no matter who coaches, there is those 3-5 players, back up goalie who can differ upon these coaching styles...

My guess it is Babcock.

And my predicted line up is...

Stamkos, Crosby, Perry
Giroux ,Toews, Nash
Neal ,Tavares, Eberle
Benn ,E Staal, Skinner

Thornton, J Staal are nominations. Canada does not like to replace size with speed even if it is bigger rink. I think Thornton can make it over Skinner/Eberle/Benn and be a force with Tavares but it depends.

Defense:
Shea Weber - Letang
Seabrook- Keith
Doughty - Pietrangelo/Boyle

Marc Staal gets a look at but I dont think makes it. Boyle I think loses the spot to PiETR

lUONGO/ PRICE/FLUERY

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

price ward fleury

crosby stamkos staal
nash tavares eberle
giroux toews perry

Richards over Bergeron for the checking line spot? Bergeron was on the team already in Vancouver, and he has gone from beeing good to great since.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Everyone wants to name a roster without talking about whose coaching and what system they wish to play.

Babcock was the Olympic coach and won Gold but Hitchcock has international experience as well and seems to have a lot of success when given control. Though I am sure 80% of this team will remain the same no matter who coaches, there is those 3-5 players, back up goalie who can differ upon these coaching styles...

Hitchcock has not impressed me at all when head coach for Canada. I would like to see some new blood, maybe Vigneault in some capacity, but not Hitchcock as head coach. I have no problem with him as an assistant though.

price ward fleury

crosby stamkos staal
nash tavares eberle
giroux toews perry

Ferraro also picked Benn and Coburn. Coburn is a strange pick, and I recall him making it in his last projected roster.

Ferraro seems to have been working under the assumption that the 2014 Olympics will feature 25 players per roster, as Dreger mentioned. That's good news from a Canadian perspective given the huge edge in depth.

WhiteLight*

Staal - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - Tavares - Eberle
Benn - Toews - Giroux
Staal - Bergeron - Seguin
Couture

Keith - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Weber
Staal - Letang
Subban

Price
Luongo
Fleury

Tried so hard not to include Luongo, Fleury and even Duncan Keith. But man Canada is thin in goaltending and LD.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Personally, i'd like to see something like this at the moment, but there's plenty of time for things to change.

Forwards:
----------------------------
Stamkos-Crosby-Giroux
Nash-Spezza-Seguin
Richards-Toews-Bergeron
Staal-Getzlaf-Perry

*Tavares

Defence:
-----------------------------
Keith-Weber
Hamhuis-Doughty
Staal-Pietrangelo

*Letang

Goaltenders:
------------------------------
1.Price.
2.Ward.
3.Luongo.

As for explanations:

-The Toews line would be a great 'checking' line. Strong defensively but still capable of creating plenty of offense.

-I know Spezza isn't a consensus pick, but provided he's healthy...he's been a good foot soldier for Canada at the less glamorous tournaments and shown chemistry with Nash on the big ice. Also a more mature player with a more well-rounded game these days, still a PP whiz and underrated on draws.

-Some aren't big on Getzlaf-Perry combo going over, but i think they could be quite useful as something along the lines of a 'crash-bang 4th line', Olympic style. Tons of size, physicality and a bit of a chippy edge there, to cycle the puck around and physically intimidate in an 'energy role'...as long as they can keep it in check. And of course...goal scoring.

-Seguin brings youth and speed to the lineup, as well as versatility. I think he'd be a good fit as a bit of a 'spark-plug' of enthusiasm alongside a pair of guys in Spezza+Nash who occasionally need a bit of a kick in the pants to get going. And the kid can put the puck in the net.

-Tavares i have some reservations about as a winger, but he's just too good not to be on the team. I think you can plug him in a lot of different spots and again, brings youth, enthusiasm and energy.

-The right-hand d-men are all locks as far as i'm concerned.

-Keith with Weber to form the top 'shutdown' pairing.

-Hamhuis playing a bit of a mobile stay-at-home defensive conscience role to let Doughty roam a bit. Not a glamorous player, but plays against the best players in the NHL every night and is the sort of steady defensive presence that would fit, and has the skating ability to thrive on the big ice and log big PK minutes. And of course, the ever elusive LH shot.

-Marc Staal adds more of a physical presence alongside Pietrangelo and again, would be a key PKer. LHer.

-Letang plays the spare blueliner role, though he's easily capable of more. Plug him in on the left side here and there if more offense is needed or swap him with Pietrangelo on the right as needed. I know he can play a bit on the left side, but i'd be far from comfortable with that in any significant minutes against the best the world has to offer. But he's a lock for the team regardless of the RH shot situation, and i'd expect him to be a key cog in the PP.

-Price should be the guy in net. He's young, talented, efficient enough to handle games in the fairly dense schedule with ease. Has the poise to handle pressure and seems able to stay in games where he may not see much rubber, which could be important in some of the games against weaker teams.

-Luongo is there because frankly...he won the gold last time around, and he's no slouch as a netminder. The continuity and experience factor there. And Ward is my choice for the alternate guy. He's an underrated goaltender who can absolutely steal games in the clutch. It's either him of Fleury, and i'd be more comfortable with Ward and knowing what i'm more likely to get if he has to go in.

Wildcards:
----------------------------
-Brian Campbell. Though he often plays the right side, he IS a Left shot, and with skating and dynamic puck moving and PP ability like that, he could really shine on the big ice.

-Dion Phaneuf. Another Lefty that i'd give some consideration to depending on what sort of trend he's on when the games roll around. He can skate plenty well for the big ice, and would also bring some physicality to the back end...But it really depends if it's looking like Good Dion or Bad Dion as the Olympics near. He'd be a very risky pick, but could pay off big if he could keep his head on straight and limit his braincramps.

-Jordan Eberle. As a natural winger, might have some appeal on a team that could end up featuring a lot of converted Centers. Also, of course the clutch Canadian performance history doesn't hurt...

-Patrick Sharp. A guy who could plug in basically anywhere. Scorer/Checker/PP/PK. Not a headline player, but i'd give him consideration for his versatility, and he's no slouch as a player.

WhiteLight*

Getzlaf and Perry have been underwhelming offensively lately, they're not renowned defensive players and they're not great skaters. They'll have difficulty engaging their power game on big ice. All that is a perfect storm to not have them on the team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/02/06/team_canada_olympic_roster_prediction_spector_sochi/

Mark Spector offered his own team.

Rick Nash Sidney Crosby James Neal
Steven Stamkos Eric Staal Claude Giroux
Jamie Benn Ryan Getzlaf Corey Perry
John Tavares Jonathan Toews Jordan Eberle
Patrice Bergeron Tyler Seguin Logan Couture

Drew Doughty Shea Weber
Michael Del Zotto Alex Pietrangelo
Duncan Keith Brent Seabrook
Kris Letang

Carey Price Roberto Luongo Marc-Andre Fleury

Doug MacLean and Brad May also gave their projected rosters.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/02/06/hockey_central_team_canada_sochi_olympic_rosters/

MacLean:

Rick Nash Sidney Crosby Steven Stamkos
Jonathan Toews Eric Staal Corey Perry
Patrick Sharp Claude Giroux Jordan Eberle
Jamie Benn John Tavares Patrice Bergeron
Tyler Seguin
Taylor Hall

Drew Doughty Shea Weber
Marc Staal Alex Pietrangelo
Kris Letang

Carey Price Marc-Andre Fleury Roberto Luongo

May:

John Tavares Sidney Crosby Steven Stamkos
Logan Couture Jonathan Toews Claude Giroux
Rick Nash Ryan Getzlaf Corey Perry
Taylor Hall Eric Staal Jordan Eberle
Tyler Seguin

Alex Pietrangelo Shea Weber
Drew Doughty Duncan Keith
Kris Letang Marc Staal
Tyler Myers

Carey Price Marc-Andre Fleury Cam Ward

I'm surprised that St. Louis is getting so little attention. The tournament is exactly one year away. I'm also surprised by the lac of Spezza, though I wouldn't select him myself. I like MacLean's team best, mainly because I have no faith in Getzlaf on international ice. His defence also matches mine. The selections of Del Zotto and Myers seem a little odd.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Staal - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - Tavares - Eberle
Benn - Toews - Giroux
Couture

Keith - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Weber
Staal - Letang
Subban

Price
Luongo

Tried so hard not to include Luongo, Fleury and even Duncan Keith. But man Canada is thin in goaltending and LD.

That looks like a rock solid roster with excellent depth at forward, our defence would still be one of the best in the entire tournament, but as previously mentioned our goaltending looks a little suspect.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Not a lineup note but Bob Hartley had a lot of success in Switzerland. I'd have him as part of the coaching staff. He has first hand knowledge of what systems and players work well on the international ice.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Staal - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - Tavares - Eberle
Benn - Toews - Giroux
Couture

Keith - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Weber
Staal - Letang
Subban

Price
Luongo
Fleury

What issues do you have with Keith? He's playing well this year; not up to his 2010 form (and frankly he'll likely never reach that level again), but still firmly entrenched in out top 4-5.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/02/06/team_canada_olympic_roster_prediction_spector_sochi/

Mark Spector offered his own team.

Rick Nash Sidney Crosby James Neal
Steven Stamkos Eric Staal Claude Giroux
Jamie Benn Ryan Getzlaf Corey Perry
John Tavares Jonathan Toews Jordan Eberle
Patrice Bergeron Tyler Seguin Logan Couture

Drew Doughty Shea Weber
Michael Del Zotto Alex Pietrangelo
Kris Letang

Carey Price Roberto Luongo Marc-Andre Fleury

Doug MacLean and Brad May also gave their projected rosters.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/02/06/hockey_central_team_canada_sochi_olympic_rosters/

MacLean:

Rick Nash Sidney Crosby Steven Stamkos
Jonathan Toews Eric Staal Corey Perry
Patrick Sharp Claude Giroux Jordan Eberle
Jamie Benn John Tavares Patrice Bergeron
Tyler Seguin
Taylor Hall

Drew Doughty Shea Weber
Marc Staal Alex Pietrangelo
Kris Letang

Carey Price Marc-Andre Fleury Roberto Luongo

May:

John Tavares Sidney Crosby Steven Stamkos
Logan Couture Jonathan Toews Claude Giroux
Rick Nash Ryan Getzlaf Corey Perry
Taylor Hall Eric Staal Jordan Eberle
Tyler Seguin

Alex Pietrangelo Shea Weber
Drew Doughty Duncan Keith
Kris Letang Marc Staal
Tyler Myers

Carey Price Marc-Andre Fleury Cam Ward

I'm surprised that St. Louis is getting so little attention. The tournament is exactly one year away. I'm also surprised by the lac of Spezza, though I wouldn't select him myself. I like MacLean's team best, mainly because I have no faith in Getzlaf on international ice. His defence also matches mine. The selections of Del Zotto and Myers seem a little odd.

I like MacLean's team, too, although I'd still like to see Perry dropped in favour of St. Louis. Either these guys know something that we don't, or they're projecting a pretty steep slow-down for him over the next year.

The additional two roster spaces should solidify a spot for at least one of the young guys like Seguin, Hall, Skinner, Couture, or Benn, and would allow Yzerman a bit more flexibility to fill out the forward group. Was fairly impressed by Seguin's play last night, as well as Benn's. Hall has looked good so far, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad