Rumor: 2014/2015 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals VIII - The Road to Tradelemania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
For people saying 4th round picks have crap odds.....dont we supposedly have a great scouting staff? Wouldnt their odds be better to find a player with a mid to late round pick then other team

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Ok I'm confused just got home. Did they ask Neil to submit a list of teams yet? Or is it all speculation?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So it sounds like Phillips and Neil aren't going anywhere.

Neil might, according to Lebrun:

An update on an item I wrote Tuesday concerning the Ottawa Senators' Chris Neil:

It appears more and more likely that the rugged veteran winger may be traded from the only NHL team he’s ever played for.

Not for sure, but certainly very possible.

While Neil’s initial reaction to a trade when meeting with Senators general manager Bryan Murray was that he’d rather stay put and stay loyal, as time has gone on, I think Neil is beginning to wrap his mind around the idea of moving.
The Senators are believed to be receiving lots of interest in Neil
Neil has a limited no-trade clause, which features a list of 15 teams he won't accept a trade to
A Western Conference source told ESPN.com on Wednesday that the Nashville Predators are among the clubs interested in Neil, which makes sense given Neil's connection to Predators center Mike Fisher
Another team apparently with interest, according to a different Western Conference source, is the Chicago Blackhawks
Again, several clubs are interested, so who knows where he ends up
I’m not saying for sure he’s moving, because clearly there is some emotion at play here. Neil loves Ottawa, but it certainly sounds very possible at this point

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Ice-Tray said:
So much bitterness here. Often I am disgusted by some of the attitudes shown here by some fans, and this is yet another example, especially given that it is all based on speculation and rumour.

Neither Neiler nor Phillips control if Murray trades them or not, they do have every right to answer honestly though when asked if they would like to be moved. Wanting to stay with the only team you have played for until the end, is a much stronger and more courageous stance to take, then to jump ship to the best team possible in hopes of winning a championship with a team you have nothing to do with. The fact that some of you can see that is beyond sad, for you. Winning is not actually the first and only priority for people, and nor should it be.

They have played here long enough to be afforded that respect, by our GM, who seems to value the interpersonal relationships that are formed between people.

The excitement shown here by people drooling over trading legacy players for 3rd round picks is astonishing, though it seems to fit with the increased role that video games play in people's lives, and with current entitled generation. Big on opinions, small on wisdom.

So many so quick to put their own entertainment in front of the lives and livelihoods of others, willing to toss away good people when they feel they are no longer good enough to satisfy whatever standards they have set.

The "hockey is a business" crowd that is so ready to adopt this mantra, the same ideals that lead banks and financial institutions to screw millions of people without and sense of moral obligation. Hockey is a big family, and a community, and yet some posters here demand that it become something colder, less loyal, less respectful. When did these become admirable traits?

Personally I despise people who force others to operate under those conditions, and I feel sorry for those who celebrate them as though they are something to aspire to.

There's my rant of the day, flame away...
Outstanding post. Couldn't agree more...

Both guys have earned the right to choose and I don't get the "this is a business" crowd also leaving respect at the door. Don't get it at all....

My rights as a fan of the team trump yours as a member of the team? Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Both guys have earned the right to choose and I don't get the "this is a business" crowd also leaving respect at the door. Don't get it at all....

Where is their lack of respect. Lots of players get traded.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Ok I'm confused just got home. Did they ask Neil to submit a list of teams yet? Or is it all speculation?

Players have to submit their no trade list at the beginning of the season. If they didn't then they would just be like "which team made an offer? Oh ya, I have them on my list..."

GM's can ask players if they would consider changing their mind on a team that may have been listed as a no go.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013

My rights as a fan of the team trump yours as a member of the team? Does that make sense?

Good lord cry me a river. Neil and Phillips have not played well enough to get the 4M+ they are making. Legacy or not this game is a business and if that 4M isn't helping us win hockey games it's time to move the assets in a respectful way. Neil and Phillips may love Ottawa but guaranteed once their blood is pumping in playoff games they won't be upset with the move. They will also both be welcome to take on an organizational role when they hang them up. Just as Alfie is.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Where is their lack of respect. Lots of players get traded.
...and they may still. What I am responding to is all the angst on these boards over the fact that Murray asked for their preference and they both responded with a "no". This is a general sign of respect and many seem to have a problem with it.

I understand the need to discuss if they will be traded, I get talking about when they will be traded...but I just don't understand talking about how they will be traded.

Imagine you are 35, have an established family and are a large contributor in the community. Now your manager calls you into his office one day and says your job has been moved 1000 miles away. You have a few options such as move, quit and find a new job in the same profession, negotiate a different type of job with the same company etc.

Professional athletes have 1 option. Move or you don't play again... That's it. You have a contract, you have made a commitment and you are legally required to stand by that commitment. I hardly think it is an inconvenience for the team to show some kind of commitment in return.

I commend Bryan Murray and the job that he has done, both with the Ottawa Senators and around the league.

Othello*

This is a business, we blessed these two with fat contracts and now their time is up. Hopefully this is a good bye, Neil & Phillips.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Good lord cry me a river. Neil and Phillips have not played well enough to get the 4M+ they are making. Legacy or not this game is a business and if that 4M isn't helping us win hockey games it's time to move the assets in a respectful way. Neil and Phillips may love Ottawa but guaranteed once their blood is pumping in playoff games they won't be upset with the move. They will also both be welcome to take on an organizational role when they hang them up. Just as Alfie is.

Personally I was never arguing that they shouldn't be traded, or won't be. What I find distasteful are the posters who vilify them because of their rumoured desire to stay with the team, as though loyalty is a bad thing. Not to mention how happy some people seem to be to get back next to nothing in exchange for trading away legacy players that want to retire with the team. We signed them to their contracts, they're not asking for more.

More to the point, neither of them can block a trade, they have both already had to submitted a list of teams they don't want to play for in October, as laid out in their respective contracts. If Murray decides to trade them, they will be traded. By all accounts what he has and will do is see if they want to be traded, and if he does traded them he will make sure that they go to true contenders, even if he has to leave a little on the table in return.

Their years of service and loyalty to this club has earned them some preferential treatment, but they in now way have handcuffed the team, nor are they preventing us from acquiring some meaningful asset. The disrespectful posts speak more to the poster's characters than Neil's and Phillips'.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
The money you make and the respect you deserve are mutually exclusive. One has nothing to do with the other...

Do they play a role on this team: Yes.
Are they the cause of the teams record this year: No.
Should they be traded: Probably.
Will they be traded: I don't know.
Do we owe it to them to involve them in the process: Absolutely.

No one is crying a river here.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Why am I hearing that trading Phillips or Neil means our organization will now be seen as an organization that treats people like meat?

Why am I also hearing that keeping Phillips and Neil will result in talented UFAs wanting to flock to us?

Neither argument holds much water.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
This is a business, we blessed these two with fat contracts and now their time is up. Hopefully this is a good bye, Neil & Phillips.
The money they make has nothing to do with how they should be treated by fans or the team itself. They have earned this money in the same way that you have earned the money at your place of employment.

Are you saying that the person making $200,000 should be treated differently than the person making $25,000?

Now should they live with the consequences of being a pro athlete? Of course... I'm just not sure why they should have to live with being treated as commodities because they are pro athletes. It seems like we have blurred the line between being a human that has value to a team/organization and a thing that has value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad