Rumor: 2014/2015 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals IX - Three Weeks Til Tradedown

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Okay. So why should the Panthers even bother to try to make the playoffs? Why should the Flyers even bother trying to make the playoffs? What about all the teams on the outside looking in in the western conference? Should they even bother just because they might get ousted in the 1st round?

It is a bad mentality to take. Playoff experience > no playoff experience.

Ya why try to make the playoffs and enjoy the game when you can try to suck to get more draft picks?

agreed.

I didn't say that it's my point of view. I just said I understand Lewler's mentality. You hear it quite commonly among many fan bases.

Plus, it seemed like his jimmies were rustled so i tried. :laugh:

PizzaPizza12

Jul 25, 2009
Ottawa
It seems like the most likely trade candidates are Wiercioch, Condra, and Legwand. I can see legwand going for a later pick or B prospect. I feel like Wiercioch has been showcased a little bit, getting a ton of PP time and more minutes over the past 10 or so games if I'm not mistaken. What do you guys think Wiercioch could return? Condra? I don't see us doing much else outside of those players this deadline

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I can't think of anyone who would want Legwand.

Why not? Contending teams are always picking up depth centers at the deadline. You win with depth up the middle. Even a guy like David Legwand got Eaves, Jarnkrok and a conditional 3rd rounder at last year's deadline.

If a total stiff like David Legwand can get a return like that last year, then a reliable depth veteran like David Legwand can surely get at least some of that return this year.

PizzaPizza12

Jul 25, 2009
Ottawa
Maybe a team who would want another bottom 6 forward, perhaps a team weak at centre, he would be a good bottom six rental for a team trying to make a run. He scored 50 points last year but frankly I see him as a third liner at best right now. Perhaps could return a tiny bit of value.

PizzaPizza12

Jul 25, 2009
Ottawa
I still want to know what that mystery trade BMurr hyped up was this past offseason after the Spezza trade ... I remember an interview where he said the other team was 'just deciding on one of our prospects', and it was only a matter of time until it got done. Still have faith! ROR anybody?

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I still want to know what that mystery trade BMurr hyped up was this past offseason after the Spezza trade ... I remember an interview where he said the other team was 'just deciding on one of our prospects', and it was only a matter of time until it got done. Still have faith! ROR anybody?

Murray knows how to work the media. Who knows if it was real, or if the deal fell apart, or if they're still working on it?

I'm curious where Zach Smith fits in the line-up once he returns. I actually forgot about him until right now.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Someone needs to explain to me how Condra is such an often-named trade piece when he's been so solid and reliable for us and would likely return something of much lesser value.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006

I found the mystery trade to be a little convenient. It got the media off of him at that press conference even though we lost our captain for the second year in a row and had no major signings or trades on July 1.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Someone needs to explain to me how Condra is such an often-named trade piece when he's been so solid and reliable for us and would likely return something of much lesser value.

No way we trade Condra. That's a minority HF pipe dream.

PizzaPizza12

Jul 25, 2009
Ottawa
Agree, I named him in my post because he's been the name in the 'rumors' as of late as the most likely to be traded. I myself think condra has earned himself a new contract with us and has been very solid, making the most out of his limited ice time. He's still young and could be valuable for us moving forward. I wonder if the team would look to move him and give a guy like Buddy Robinson a shot? I'm definitely a fan of Condra, but that said I think we'd survive if we moved him for something of similar value whether it be a pick or current bottom 6er

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Agree, I named him in my post because he's been the name in the 'rumors' as of late as the most likely to be traded. I myself think condra has earned himself a new contract with us and has been very solid, making the most out of his limited ice time. He's still young and could be valuable for us moving forward. I wonder if the team would look to move him and give a guy like Buddy Robinson a shot? I'm definitely a fan of Condra, but that said I think we'd survive if we moved him for something of similar value whether it be a pick or current bottom 6er

So you basically explained why trading him would be lateral at best, and more likely a downgrade....

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Because asset management.

He won't be re-signed, there's equal/better and cheaper players pushing for spots (Robinson for example), so might as well get something back rather than nothing.

It's the life of a good hockey team. Keep the core and replace 3rd/4th liners internally.

If Smith will return more than Legwand, do you keep trade him and keep Legwand?

I would keep Smith.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why not? Contending teams are always picking up depth centers at the deadline. You win with depth up the middle. Even a guy like David Legwand got Eaves, Jarnkrok and a conditional 3rd rounder at last year's deadline.

If a total stiff like David Legwand can get a return like that last year, then a reliable depth veteran like David Legwand can surely get at least some of that return this year.

"Stiff is a pretty accurate description. :)

Plus he has another year on his contract at the princely sum of $3.5m I believe.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Because asset management.

He won't be re-signed, there's equal/better and cheaper players pushing for spots (Robinson for example), so might as well get something back rather than nothing.

It's the life of a good hockey team. Keep the core and replace 3rd/4th liners internally.

I would keep Smith.

You start out talking about asset management yet you'd keep Smith?

Condra actually contributes tons to the lineup while costing very little. You don't trade those players for peanuts.

PizzaPizza12

Jul 25, 2009
Ottawa
No, if you read what I said, I said I like him but we'd survive without him. And as for his return, what do you think he'd return? A later pick or similar younger prospect at best... how am I wrong there

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
"Contributes a ton" :facepalm:

I know what you mean, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. 4th liner is 4th liner.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

I know what you mean, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. 4th liner is 4th liner.

In the context of being a 4th liner, yes, he does contribute a ton. Much more than most 4th liners. Why would we trade a player like that exactly?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Because you can have someone equal/better replace him internally for half the price.

And because that player would have more upside than 29 yr old Condra.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

No 4th liner is not 4th liner.

There is effective 4th liners and there is ineffective 4th liners.

Effective 4th liners allow your team to roll 4 lines, elevate the PK and provide balance to a team.

Ineffective 4th liners cause your team to shorten the bench and are a liability on the ice. Management will be much happier giving Condra a small raise than cycling through prospects praying to god that one can play as well as Condra.

Condra is low maintenance, established in the community and is an extremely effective 4th liner.

Why would we trade a great 4th liner in the hopes of getting a prospect back to eventually turn into Condra? To save half a million? Don't be ridiculous.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Because you can have someone equal/better replace him internally for half the price.

And because that player would have more upside than 29 yr old Condra.

This is completely false. It's easy to say a player has 'infinite upside' when they are young. People overrate prospects around here so much it borders on lunacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->