Rumor: 2014/2015 Season Trade Rumours and Proposals IX - Three Weeks Til Tradedown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
No, they are not. They are closer to drafting some very skilled players that may or may not work out. Their current roster is pretty devoid of actual talent and they have nothing in terms of goaltending.

In other words, they are Edmonton before their first 1st overall pick. They could end up being elite. They could also end up being a trainwreck. Or somewhere in-between.

Yes, they have a rich owner, but so does Winnipeg. Doesn't mean that players will flock to Buffalo. It's still Buffalo.

Agreed.

Buffalo is high risk, high reward. Sens are no risk, no reward.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Agreed.

Don't get me wrong. I don't much like our model either. But we do have pieces that Buffalo doesn't

Guys like Lazar, Zbad, Lehner, Hoffman and Stone haven't even come close to their full potential yet. Not to mention guys like Ceci too.

And we have Karlsson and Ryan. Buffalo has no one of that caliber in their roster and will have to be extremely lucky to find something like that in the draft.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
No, they are not. They are closer to drafting some very skilled players that may or may not work out. Their current roster is pretty devoid of actual talent and they have nothing in terms of goaltending.

In other words, they are Edmonton before their first 1st overall pick. They could end up being elite. They could also end up being a trainwreck. Or somewhere in-between.

Yes, they have a rich owner, but so does Winnipeg. Doesn't mean that players will flock to Buffalo. It's still Buffalo.

I have a heck of a lot more faith in Timmy than I do in the KLowe/Tambo/MacT combination though. I think Buffalo has all the pieces to start doing well as soon as next year, but it should be interesting to see what TMurr does with their goaltending, as it's a trainwreck right now.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have a heck of a lot more faith in Timmy than I do in the KLowe/Tambo/MacT combination

Well, sure... but that's really not saying a whole lot.

I have more faith in a squirrel randomly making NHL trades by assigning players value based on how well specific types of nuts store overwinter, than I do in the Edmonton management team right now.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Well, sure... but that's really not saying a whole lot.

I have more faith in a squirrel randomly making NHL trades by assigning players value based on how well specific types of nuts store overwinter, than I do in the Edmonton management team right now.

You're on a roll. :laugh:

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Agreed.

How can you say 'agreed' when that post goes against what you JUST said?

Then so you don't lose all face, you say something ridiculous like Buffalo is high risk, high reward and Sens are no risk, no reward.

Defend that statement please. I don't even know what you mean when you say that. I don't want to theorize because I don't want to put words in your mouth, so I'll wait for your reply.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
How can you say 'agreed' when that post goes against what you JUST said?

Then so you don't lose all face, you say something ridiculous like Buffalo is high risk, high reward and Sens are no risk, no reward.

Defend that statement please. I don't even know what you mean when you say that. I don't want to theorize because I don't want to put words in your mouth, so I'll wait for your reply.
Buffalo could easily end up being Edmonton. They also have a chance to be a contender and imo that chance is far better then the Sens(As of right now I don't see the Sens ever becoming more then a middle of the pack mediocre team.).

Just because the Sens are better then Buffalo right now doesn't mean that will remain better in the future.

Buffalo is going all in. Sens are folding as soon as anyone tries to raise.

benny, when you mean high risk, do you mean intentionally tanking?

Nope.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
at this stage, all i want is for us to clear up some cap space (either for a trade or free agency) and for us to clear up some of our contracts (25 if we count everyone as healthy...and greening; not counting players in the minors). Mainly i hope we at least make a move that shows we are serious about improving

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Buffalo has money and can make mistakes

We don't have that margin of error

Unless Terry Pegula is going to spend his billions on turning Buffalo into Miami, then all the money in the world doesn't make Buffalo as desirable as other small market teams.

And before you say Connor will attract free agents, Edmonton and the Islanders couldn't draw players just because they had Hall and Tavares.

They will have to build and get complimentary pieces just like the Islanders and us.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Unless Terry Pegula is going to spend his billions on turning Buffalo into Miami, then all the money in the world doesn't make Buffalo as desirable as other small market teams.

And before you say Connor will attract free agents, Edmonton and the Islanders couldn't draw players just because they had Hall and Tavares.

They will have to build and get complimentary pieces just like the Islanders and us.

The only real difference I see is that they will have the cash to do it. And that is a pretty big difference.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Buffalo is in the US meaning: closer to nice places, less taxes and less exposure

Almost any team in the US is going to be more desirable than Canada

Buffalo is also not playing the "we'll spend once the team is good" which must be nice, instead it's "we'll spend to help the team get good"

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Buffalo is in the US meaning: closer to nice places, less taxes and less exposure

Almost any team in the US is going to be more desirable than Canada

Buffalo is also not playing the "we'll spend once the team is good" which must be nice, instead it's "we'll spend to help the team get good"

The biggest difference between Buffalo and Ottawa ownership imo.

We'll just have to wait for our middle-of-the-pack draft picks to blossom.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Well thankfully TM is an awesome drafter eh? ;)

Edmonton couldn't draw players cuz they suck. Islanders have had a couple good additions and have re-signed players they obtained. Not as bad as you think.

Also, most likely Connor >> Hall, Tavares but obviously that's still speculation for now.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The biggest difference between Buffalo and Ottawa ownership imo.

We'll just have to wait for our middle-of-the-pack draft picks to blossom.

And it also gets player's attention

If you go to Buffalo you are going to a team that is actively working to be better

Ottawa management is waiting for the players to get better

Buffalo is a far more attractive situation than Ottawa going forward

Our approach isn't bad but it's slow and not very attractive. Hopefully it starts yielding results rather than producing nothing but disappointement over the last two seasons

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And it also gets player's attention

If you go to Buffalo you are going to a team that is actively working to be better

Ottawa management is waiting for the players to get better

Buffalo is a far more attractive situation than Ottawa going forward

Our approach isn't bad but it's slow and not very attractive. Hopefully it starts yielding results rather than producing nothing but disappointement over the last two seasons

I have a hard time reconciling a team that has just traded away it's starting goaltender for one of the worst backups in the league as an attractive option for players.

Sure, they have some potential, but until they start realizing it, I would stay away as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->