Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Prospect Stats and Discussion | Stauffer: Slepyshev NOT KHL re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
just watched the Soo destroy the Storm in game 4.

Nurse looks pretty deadly.
Rushed the puck with aplomb.....shut down forwards with aplomb and basically just glided around the ice sheet with aplomb.

But really,....a few interesting things of note.

Having a "nasty defender" sounds cool but I was amazed at how effective his dirt was. Most of the time he was reserved and just playing hockey but I remember one play where a storm player got him off balance in a battle against he boards and Nurse gave him what looked like a vicious back-punch. The guy got the puck to the point but looked emotionally shattered afterwards and just stayed away from Nurse and the play for the rest of his short shift.

Another thing, Nurse was playing in front of the net on the PP....almost every time. Scored a goal from there.

Weird.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
People are too caught up in the idea that Draisaitl needs to play in the AHL. He probably would have stuck for the entire NHL season were it not for Eakins--after all, the Dallas Eakins Regression Factor (DERF) applies to him too. To make matters worse Draisaitl regularly played with Yakupov, who was going through severe struggles of his own during Draisaitl's time in the NHL.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a good enough club where there's no room for Draisaitl...but we'd need to acquire enough quality players this off-season to justify sending him down. He's a third overall pick who'll be coming into camp next year in his 20 year old season with half a season of NHL experience under his belt. He was starting to show he belonged in the NHL right before he got sent down, and that was in the final throes of Eakins era.

Expect him to stay up unless he has an abysmal training camp or we acquire both a middle six centre and a middle six winger.

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
So why is Marco Roy not signed. Is it the Oilers.balking or is he wanting to re-enter the draft? I know his offensive totals were not great this year but he has turned into a versatile centre which we do not have enough of.
two goals tonight by the way.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So why is Marco Roy not signed. Is it the Oilers.balking or is he wanting to re-enter the draft? I know his offensive totals were not great this year but he has turned into a versatile centre which we do not have enough of.

I was pleased with his first TC here and it seems to have all gone downhill since then. Likely worth a contract but he really needs to pick his game up.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Rushed the puck with aplomb.....shut down forwards with aplomb and basically just glided around the ice sheet with aplomb.

Having a "nasty defender" sounds cool but I was amazed at how effective his dirt was. Most of the time he was reserved and just playing hockey but I remember one play where a storm player got him off balance in a battle against he boards and Nurse gave him what looked like a vicious back-punch. The guy got the puck to the point but looked emotionally shattered afterwards and just stayed away from Nurse and the play for the rest of his short shift.

Another thing, Nurse was playing in front of the net on the PP....almost every time. Scored a goal from there.

Weird.

Soo is on a war path right now. Denagelo took nurses spot on the point, so he's playing chara role. AD is amazing tho, a better Ryan ellis

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nurse and Draisaitl could be our best two players.

Draisaitl has the best passing ability I have seen in a long time. Even when he was here, his point totals were low cause no one could finish on his line. I remember so many beautiful, impossible passes that got whiffed on.

And Nurse.. Man... He has attitude, drive, emotion and sticks up for his teammates without question. Oh, and he just happens to be a very very good shut down d which he showed glimpses of last year as well.

I remember a pre season game where he had the puck in the corner while fending off both Sedans.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
From watching Nurse... I think he's going to be a Mother****er to play against when he fully develops his "man-strength" and gets some experience at the NHL level. He's definitely going to make some opposition players sorry to intrude into the d-zone. :)

He seems to have that rare combo of size, speed, strength, skill and a mean streak that has the potential to make people start mentioning him in the same breath as Pronger/Stevens type of dmen.

Keep in mind here... I'm talking several years away 3-5 at least to see him develop into that level... but he could have the upside to be a really special dman if it all goes well... and even if he doesn't top out that high... I think he still could be a vicious Jason Smith type dman which isn't a bad floor.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Weird.

Nurse has been very effective playing in front of the net on the pp. He occupies at least one defender and is a pretty tough guy to see around. Boston has done this with Chara a fair bit.

You are right though. Nurse is not going for the big hits as much but he is playing very nasty. He uses his stick a lot as well. Oldtime hockey!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Welp seems like i'm reading Slepyshev just signed a 2 year contract in the KHL.

Yup. Probably not coming over anytime soon. Sucks, but if it's true that he has a newborn it's not that weird that he wants to stay at home. Not necessarily a bad thing though, two more seasons in the KHL will make him better and maybe he can join the team 17/18 just as when the Oilers are starting to get better (Nurse, Draisaitl, 3rd overall starting to get their feet wet etc). Could be good timing.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Yup. Probably not coming over anytime soon. Sucks, but if it's true that he has a newborn it's not that weird that he wants to stay at home. Not necessarily a bad thing though, two more seasons in the KHL will make him better and maybe he can join the team 17/18 just as when the Oilers are starting to get better (Nurse, Draisaitl, 3rd overall starting to get their feet wet etc). Could be good timing.

This might not be the most attractive place for an offensive winger to come to as well, that may be different in 2 years.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Some are suggesting Roy will be over here in Europe next season

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Forgive me, if a prospect goes back to the draft, is there compensation or was it a wasted pick?

I am curious, I noticed Chicago gets another 2nd rounder this year for Kevin Hayes going unsigned. Just wondering if there was special circumstance for this.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
Forgive me, if a prospect goes back to the draft, is there compensation or was it a wasted pick?

I am curious, I noticed Chicago gets another 2nd rounder this year for Kevin Hayes going unsigned. Just wondering if there was special circumstance for this.

I believe compensation is only given for first round picks that haven't signed (compensation is a second round pick), but I may be wrong on that.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So now there's some contradicting info from Matheson from an article posted today:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/NCAA+goalie+prospect+visit+Oilers+this+month/10968974/story.html

At the bottom:

"You can expect the Oilers to soon sign their 2013 third-round left-winger Anton Slepyshev (6’2, 187 pounds), who had 25 points in 58 games for Salavat Ufa in the KHL this past winter. He could play in the AHL with fellow Russian Bogdan Yakimov, who was in Edmonton last week to get his injured knee looked at by Oilers medical staff."

Anyway, who knows. Maybe this is all posturing from both sides. I imagine we'll find out for sure quite soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->