Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I really like Brassard he's grown on me, especially in the playoffs, but 5.5!?.. come on dude...

I'd rather lock up Kreider and Zucc long term (4 years each), and then let Brassard be awarded whatever the arbitrator decides to award him if this is the case.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I really like Brassard he's grown on me, especially in the playoffs, but 5.5!?.. come on dude...

I'd rather lock up Kreider and Zucc long term (4 years each), and then let Brassard be awarded whatever the arbitrator decides to award him if this is the case.

I think the rangers feel the same way. If he takes 4 ish then go long term otherwise whatever award for a yr only .

Also if they feel they can sign Hayes I doubt they sign stempniak .

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Still think Hayes ends up in Florida or Calgary. If he's not willing to switch to LW, there's really no room for him (this season) here either.

The kid is a center who has been moved to wing. You will see him coming down the left wing on a lot of highlights.

I don't think moving to LW is a big adjustment for him. Its definitely the easiest transition to make for a left handed center, and he is a former center .

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think the $5.5 figure is Allen Walsh just posturing... Can't see Brass getting more than $4.5 at the absolute max...

Wolfy*

For Zucc I believe they're closing in on a 4 yr contract, 3.5 first year then 4.5 / 4.25 AAV. That's a good deal for the Rangers.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
MZA and Nash can play LW.

It wouldn't just be for this year, it's the future.

Lets say Hayes is signed would they feel comfortable going with Hagelin and then 2 rookies in Miller and Hayes on a 3rd line?

top 6, Nash, Stepan, MSL, Kreider, Brassard, Zuccarello

4th line, Glass, Moore, Lombardi.........sign Carcillo

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
SnyRangersblog

The Rangers are still in the process of negotiating a long-term deal with Mats Zuccarello that would see him stay with the team through his first few years of potential unrestricted free agency. (NY Post)

The process of locking up Zuccarello and preventing him from becoming a free agent could result in a higher cap hit for the player because of what he could potentially get on the open market next summer. A one-year deal through arbitration would result in a lower cap hit for the Rangers but possibly preclude them from a potential long-term deal with Zuccarello. (NY Post)

Zuccarello is seeking a multi-year deal, he wants 3-4 years, with a cap hit of $4.5 million. (NY Post)

If the Rangers and Zuccarello do go to arbitration, it’s likely that his cap hit next season would be $3.7 million to $4 million. (NY Post)

I think they could get him down to 4M (4.25max) in that case. Even if he regresses, 40-50 point players are getting stupid money nowadays.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
MZA and Nash can play LW.

It wouldn't just be for this year, it's the future.

Not a fan of moving Nash or MZA. I think they're both better served on the right.

Understood that Hayes will be here for the long-haul, but he's basically not signing in CHI because there is no room for him. We won't have room for him on the right side until at the very least next season if MSL retires or moves elsewhere. He's not going to beat out any of those three guys for a spot on the right this year. Whereas in Calgary or Florida, it's a spot he'd be comfortable in (former teammates and brother respectively) and he'd have a spot to lose in camp, rather than a spot to win.

*This is all negated if he can move to LW*

The kid is a center who has been moved to wing. You will see him coming down the left wing on a lot of highlights.

I don't think moving to LW is a big adjustment for him. Its definitely the easiest transition to make for a left handed center, and he is a former center .

Easy to say on paper. Just because he comes down the left doesn't mean he can be a LWer. I'm not saying it's an impossible switch, it's not, but it's up to the kid.

EDIT - I'm all for bringing Hayes in, don't get me wrong. Just trying to realistically see if the Rangers have a shot at him or not.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
SnyRangersblog

The Rangers are still in the process of negotiating a long-term deal with Mats Zuccarello that would see him stay with the team through his first few years of potential unrestricted free agency. (NY Post)

The process of locking up Zuccarello and preventing him from becoming a free agent could result in a higher cap hit for the player because of what he could potentially get on the open market next summer. A one-year deal through arbitration would result in a lower cap hit for the Rangers but possibly preclude them from a potential long-term deal with Zuccarello. (NY Post)

Zuccarello is seeking a multi-year deal, he wants 3-4 years, with a cap hit of $4.5 million. (NY Post)

If the Rangers and Zuccarello do go to arbitration, it’s likely that his cap hit next season would be $3.7 million to $4 million. (NY Post)

I think they could get him down to 4M (4.25max) in that case. Even if he regresses, 40-50 point players are getting stupid money nowadays.

If he is looking for 4.5, sign him. Push for an extra year. 5 years @ 4.25.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Am I the only one who feels we'd have 2 out of 3 RFA's locked up by now if we didnt sign the eminent disaster Tanner Glass

The contract they gave to Glass has nothing to do with the amount they've budgeted for each of the RFAs. Those numbers were already decided before free agency even began. The thing now is getting the players to take a little as possible within that budget.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The contracts guys like Dubinsky, Callahan, Pouilot, Grabovski, etc got, ****ed the market.. if I'm one of our RFAs (specifically Zucc and Brass), why wouldn't I ask for something near what these guys got?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The contracts guys like Dubinsky, Callahan, Pouilot, Grabovski, etc got, ****ed the market.. if I'm one of our RFAs (specifically Zucc and Brass), why wouldn't I ask for something near what these guys got?

Because they're RFAs.

They could make the pitch that they'll only accept a 1 year deal so as to get on the UFA train next offseason, so to speak, but NYR, nor any other team would offer an RFA that sort of deal.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Am I the only one who feels we'd have 2 out of 3 RFA's locked up by now if we didnt sign the eminent disaster Tanner Glass

Maybe. It's not an issue of capspace, it's an issue of leverage and management not wanting to get bent over, even if they could afford it for the time being.

I disagree on Brassard. If he won't settle for $4.5 million AAV or less, then he can walk after this year. He's not that good and hasn't improved in four years. Krejci will be a UFA next year and Kopitar, Stamkos, and O'Reilly follow the year after. Opening the wallet for Brassard would be dumb.

I would almost guarantee you that none of Krejci, Kopitar or Stamoks make it to FA. O'Reilly might solely because he's been a huge sideshow every single time his contract has come up so far and Colorado might finally be sick of it.

I dont' disagree that Brass probably isn't worth that much, but you need 4 NHL centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->