Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Doubt there are any more additions. Simply no room and enough competition as it is. Sign J Moore and lets go to war

more competition is a good thing. get me carter.

it also means fewer chances that Glass plays this year with more players to push him out.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
more competition is a good thing. get me carter.

it also means fewer chances that Glass plays this year with more players to push him out.
I think they already have plenty of guys to push Glass out. Lombardi signing is underrated. Cant wait to trade Glass for cap space.

And no way Sather offer sheets Johansen. Thats not sathers style he doesnt make enemies. Also rangers probably dont have picks to offer sheet. And another point to make is rangers are tight with the cap and have guys to re-sign next year. Hagelin would then be offer sheeted.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Doubt there are any more additions. Simply no room and enough competition as it is. Sign J Moore and lets go to war

We need another banger in the organisation that can fill up the #13 fwd role in the press box
No place for a prospect to develop
Energy guy in local tough derby games
Let Milller/Lombardi/Lindberg fight for a center spot, the two "losers" winding up in Hartford for the time being
But in a sense I believe you are right that if we add someone then we must also get rid of a contract. Do not want to be at the 50 contract limit tying up all the hands in the organisation.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'm just not sure if Hayes is ready for a top-6 role. I sure hope he is, but we'll find out. Who knows regarding the lines--Vigneault will take care of that in camp. If Hayes is truly being considered a center, does that mean he takes the 3C spot and we roll with Miller on the wing? Something like:

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Miller - Brass - MZA
Hagelin - Hayes - MSL
Stempniak - Moore - Lombardi
Glass

I feel like Miller, Hayes, and Lombardi could all move around in the lineup as necessary. Glass can slot in for games against teams like Philly. I think we've quietly built a team that, even without the flash of say an Ovi/Backstrom pairing, has a lot of promise. The depth will make us dangerous.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Updated first post
Uncertain about Hayes bonus money
Also - I am assuming the beat writers are correct and that Duclairs contract will slide (not counting against the 50 contract limit) unless he plays 10 or more NHL games this coming season
Will update all ages at the beginning of the season
Looks promising on paper
Hartford looks lethal
Restored our prospect depth considerably through smart college signings that help negate the many picks lost in recent trades
Time will tell

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Predictions

Dan Boyle replaces Anton Stralman - Even at best
Mike Kostka replaces Justin Falk - Even but means little
JT Miller replaces Brad Richards - Negative
Kevin Hayes/Lee Stempniak replaces Benoit Pouliot - Negative => Even at best
Matt Lombardi/Jesper Fast replaces Brian Boyle - Negative
Tanner Glass replaces Derek Dorsett - Even at best

Presumable Risers
Cam Talbot
Ryan McDonaugh
John Moore
Chris Kreider
Mats Zuccarello
Derek Stepan
Carl Hagelin

Presumable Cruisers
Henrik Lundqvist
Marc Staal
Kevin Klein
Dominic Moore

Presumable Fallers
Dan Girardi
Rick Nash
MSL???

Looks like the replacements are a bit lower valued than last years roster (which was impossible to keep intact in a cap world and escalating UFA $alaries) but that there is room for more growth on the roster than there is inevitable regression.
So we may very well be equal or better off than last year
Size and grit are empty holes though
Maybe Ole Ulfie laces them up on a league minimum contract :sarcasm: or hopefully Big Mac is ready at Christmas??

These are my predictions
Have at it if you like

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Dan Boyle replaces Anton Stralman - Even at best
Mike Kostka replaces Justin Falk - Even but means little
JT Miller replaces Brad Richards - Negative
Kevin Hayes/Lee Stempniak replaces Benoit Pouliot - Negative => Even at best
Matt Lombardi/Jesper Fast replaces Brian Boyle - Negative
Tanner Glass replaces Derek Dorsett - Even at best

Presumable Risers
Cam Talbot
Ryan McDonaugh
John Moore
Chris Kreider
Mats Zuccarello
Derek Stepan
Carl Hagelin

Presumable Cruisers
Henrik Lundqvist
Marc Staal
Kevin Klein
Dominic Moore

Presumable Fallers
Dan Girardi
Rick Nash
MSL???

Looks like the replacements are a bit lower valued than last years roster (which was impossible to keep intact in a cap world and escalating UFA $alaries) but that there is room for more growth on the roster than there is inevitable regression.
So we may very well be equal or better off than last year
Size and grit are empty holes though
Maybe Ole Ulfie laces them up on a league minimum contract :sarcasm: or hopefully Big Mac is ready at Christmas??

These are my predictions
Have at it if you like

accurate, if not pessimistic, meaning at worst case scenario, about the same as last year. I don't see many other teams in the east that got THAT much better either. Regardless, we're still contenders, with a HUGE youth movement coming in the next 2-4 years.

I see this as our roster:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($2.475m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Derick Brassard ($5.000m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.500m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Hayes Kevin ($0.925m)
Tanner Glass ($1.450m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Lee Stempniak ($0.900m)
Matthew Lombardi ($0.800m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Dan Boyle ($4.500m)
John Moore ($0.851m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Mike Kostka ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,332,167; BONUSES: $350,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $667,833

You can also move Nash to the 1st line + Hayes to the 2nd line + MSL to the 3rd line.

There's also the possibility of Kristo, Fast, etc impressing in camp (not likely), and also the possibility of Glass sucking it and Lombardi taking that 4W spot permanently.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
For ***** and giggles:

Nash-Miller-MSL, keep the two most talented guys together and both can cover Miller's mistakes.

Kreider-Stepan-Hayes

Hagelin-Brassard-MZA

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Offer sheet Johansen imho imo

I agree, go after him, but no offer sheet.
Unwritten rule. You poach, then when the shoe is on the other foot --- and inevitably it will be --- you get screwed.

There has got to be a package we can live with which allows us to keep our foundation (McD, Kreider) while upgrading Stepan into Johanson.
While Miller is not yet Stepan, his greater athleticism could be an improvement, one that could be accelerated with the right linemates.

Johanson - Hayes - Miller - Lindberg (with option to D. Moore on W) is our future, w/Boo Nieves in the pipeline.

I think that pivot group would physically be able to hang in with even the bigger guys out west.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I agree, go after him, but no offer sheet.
Unwritten rule. You poach, then when the shoe is on the other foot --- and inevitably it will be --- you get screwed.

There has got to be a package we can live with which allows us to keep our foundation (McD, Kreider) while upgrading Stepan

Stopped reading right here.

Stepan isn't getting traded.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yes. The fact that you don't is troubling.

What is troubling? Third pairing LHD types grow on trees. He isn't signed, he has trade value on a team deprived of assets that is maxed out by the salary cap, and depleted in the farm.

Staal, Miller, John Moore are players on the NHL roster that the team can move. I would prefer the asset that the Rangers they could get for John Moore, than a 3rd pairing LHD that I am far from convinced could handle being on the 2nd pairing.

AHB*

Seeing the guys still available that are going to sign far cheaper then Glass drives me nuts. I can't believe we signed that **** bag for 1.4.

Penner
Carter
Konopka
Malone
Leino
Tootoo
Bertuzzi
Setoguchi

Unreal

Championship*

What is troubling? Third pairing LHD types grow on trees. He isn't signed, he has trade value on a team deprived of assets that is maxed out by the salary cap, and depleted in the farm.

Staal, Miller, John Moore are players on the NHL roster that the team can move. I would prefer the asset that the Rangers they could get for John Moore, than a 3rd pairing LHD that I am far from convinced could handle being on the 2nd pairing.

Good idea. Lets bring in another Stu Bickel to play the third paring. Worked before! You're a genius! :laugh:

AHB*

The kid is 23. D-Men take longer to develop. He has a high ceiling and has played rather steady for us thus far. He is still learning.

People on these boards need to learn patience.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Apparently, Duclair's contract doesn't slide. Graves doesn't slide until the end of camp, so we're currently at 50 contracts and can't yet sign Moore. Someone has to be moved.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Good idea. Lets bring in another Stu Bickel to play the third paring. Worked before! You're a genius! :laugh:

Connor Allen ring a bell?

No need to bring anyone in. Not too mention the calvacade of defensive free agents they have already brought in. They aren't exactly skint there. Plus Skjei next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->