Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
If you get "cheap" offensive talent, then who takes Staal's spot on the top four? At times, he did go against top lines and did throw some guys, like Crosby, off their game. A big reason this team went so far was the play of its defensive units. I'm not saying he's untradeable, but it seems as though the calls for trading him haven't addressed replacing him. The defense unit may be bit weaker defensively than last season already. If the plan is to move up Klein and have him play what may be an uncomfortable position at LD (and I don't know Klein well enough to say that is true), then perhaps that isn't a solution. I can't say what the Rangers are thinking at this point. They have a lot of money to spend next season and little maneuverability in contracts currently, and we do not know what the cap is. I think not much happens in the first couple months aside from seeing what the Rangers have...if a centerman steps up (like Miller) if a defenseman looks ready to make the jump. Tough to sit here and predict today.

Fair points all around.

In terms of trades, I'd try to get a defenseman replacement and young developing forward. Something like Gudas and Conolly (not trying to say that this is a good deal or feasible).

If Staal is signed, then I hope his contract is structured similarly to Brassards so that when our defense prospects develop, we can easily trade Staal. Frontloaded, limited NTC for first half of contract.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
How do the Rangers re-sign Hagelin, MZA, Staal and MSL after this season? On top of them you have Talbot, Allen, McIlrath, Bodie, Lindberg, Miller to re-sign. Most of the guys in the 2nd list aren't looking at much, if any raise. Where does the money come from?

The reason I mentioned dealing Hagelin is simple. $$. Out of MZA, MSL, Nash, Kreider and Hagelin, Hagelin is the easiest (do not read as easy) to replace from within with what the Rangers have coming through the pipe-line. He has a high value. He is a RFA. He has blazing speed. Superb PKer. Young. Do I want to move Hagelin? No.

They are going to need to upgrade somewhere. What other pieces can they use? I think people are crapping on Fast for no apparent reason. Defensively responsible, good speed, good hands, good vision, CHEAP.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
How do the Rangers re-sign Hagelin, MZA, Staal and MSL after this season? On top of them you have Talbot, Allen, McIlrath, Bodie, Lindberg, Miller to re-sign. Most of the guys in the 2nd list aren't looking at much, if any raise. Where does the money come from?

The reason I mentioned dealing Hagelin is simple. $$. Out of MZA, MSL, Nash, Kreider and Hagelin, Hagelin is the easiest (do not read as easy) to replace from within with what the Rangers have coming through the pipe-line. He has a high value. He is a RFA. He has blazing speed. Superb PKer. Young. Do I want to move Hagelin? No.

They are going to need to upgrade somewhere. What other pieces can they use? I think people are crapping on Fast for no apparent reason. Defensively responsible, good speed, good hands, good vision, CHEAP.

yes, it is a dilly of a pickle. Keep working out numbers in my head, but it doesn't matter. We do not know what the cap will be next season, which will obviously have a big impact, and we do not know how some of the youth will develop. Can someone develop into a 3rd line defenseman and step in for Klein, thus saving ~ $2MM? That gets someone signed and while Klein is the best third pair defenseman, he may be less valuable than the player his departure saves. Will Miller develop into a reliable NHL centerman this season? Will MSL tail-off and the Rangers sign him to a lesser contract and something is saved there, or not sign him at all (with a replacement costing more)? Too many unknowns today and not enough Kreiders, Stepans, etc., ready to step up and in at a low cost.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
yes, it is a dilly of a pickle. Keep working out numbers in my head, but it doesn't matter. We do not know what the cap will be next season, which will obviously have a big impact, and we do not know how some of the youth will develop. Can someone develop into a 3rd line defenseman and step in for Klein, thus saving ~ $2MM? That gets someone signed and while Klein is the best third pair defenseman, he may be less valuable than the player his departure saves. Will Miller develop into a reliable NHL centerman this season? Will MSL tail-off and the Rangers sign him to a lesser contract and something is saved there, or not sign him at all (with a replacement costing more)? Too many unknowns today and not enough Kreiders, Stepans, etc., ready to step up and in at a low cost.

There are a lot of unknowns, but possibly thinking of moving Hagelin to be back-filled from within is not as crazy as some think.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
There are a lot of unknowns, but possibly thinking of moving Hagelin to be back-filled from within is not as crazy as some think.

Agreed. Again, if someone steps up and can be a 14-17 goal plug, and a kid can step into that position next season, then there's a couple million bucks that can be saved and avoid another big payday this team can't afford. Unfortunately, they cannot keep all of them. Just need to figure out which ones they can logically keep, which ones are most easily replaceable from within, and what returns some can get to set this team up for the next few seasons. Yea, need to focus on this season, but can't let March come up on you too quickly.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
How do the Rangers re-sign Hagelin, MZA, Staal and MSL after this season?

Not easy but, maybe they don't re-sign all of them?

They could do a year to year thing with MSL where they can deffer his bonus money portion of the cap hit to the next season as a plus 35 contract. Or if he is declining they could let him walk, or I believe since he was traded he may no longer have his clause, maybe they could trade him, doubtful but...

They could be scheduled to go to arbitration with Hagelin and he could end up on a one year deal like Zucc did, or maybe he signs long term for a lesser cap hit to get more guaranteed money even if it means possibly leaving some non guaranteed money on the table.

They could move Staal, maybe Moore improves a bunch, or another prospect comes up, or a trade somewhere else happens where they get back some type of top 4 LD

At least to me any of those options could happen.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'd rather hold onto our UFAs and see where we are at seasons end. Staal could be the one who is sacrificed in the end. Sometimes you cant always maximize every asset. We came across this same issue this past season when Girardi was unsigned (until he was re-signed) as well as Boyle and Stralman. Especially Boyle. A majority of this board kept pushing to deal Boyle. I was of the camp that Boyle was too valuable to this past years roster to move him at the deadline. We took a chance and made it to the SCF. Boyle was a big part of that run. A big part.

I see the rangers management letting Staal walk before Hagelin, MZA, MSL. And I dont see management trading any of these guys during the season. Also trading staal for an offensive piece only creates another hole. Youre creating imbalance on your top 4 D pairs where you have a stay at home defenseman with one offensive defenseman. Staal is severely underrated here in terms of his importance to this team on and off the ice. You cant rob peter to pay paul

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Not easy but, maybe they don't re-sign all of them?

They could do a year to year thing with MSL where they can deffer his bonus money portion of the cap hit to the next season as a plus 35 contract. Or if he is declining they could let him walk, or I believe since he was traded he may no longer have his clause, maybe they could trade him, doubtful but...

They could be scheduled to go to arbitration with Hagelin and he could end up on a one year deal like Zucc did, or maybe he signs long term for a lesser cap hit to get more guaranteed money even if it means possibly leaving some non guaranteed money on the table.

They could move Staal, maybe Moore improves a bunch, or another prospect comes up, or a trade somewhere else happens where they get back some type of top 4 LD

At least to me any of those options could happen.

just like last season, the Rangers traded on UFA-to-be and lost two (don't feel like counting now, if it's more, sorry - not the point). So yea, they likely do not sign everyone.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Hags might be the fastest guy in the league. Why the hell would we trade him? We don't have anyone who can replace his speed, let alone his defensive game. There are maybe 5 guys in the entire league who could replace Hagelin's speed. This board, over the past 2 years, has been way too quick to give up on Hags and Kreider.

He's not tough enough.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Fair points all around.

In terms of trades, I'd try to get a defenseman replacement and young developing forward. Something like Gudas and Conolly (not trying to say that this is a good deal or feasible).

If Staal is signed, then I hope his contract is structured similarly to Brassards so that when our defense prospects develop, we can easily trade Staal. Frontloaded, limited NTC for first half of contract.

I like that idea as a return for Staal. Two others possibilities (if an extension can be reached) could be:

TJ Brodie and Max Reinhart
Brendan Smith and Jurco/Sheahan

Thoughts?

Championship*

I like that idea as a return for Staal. Two others possibilities (if an extension can be reached) could be:

TJ Brodie and Max Reinhart
Brendan Smith and Jurco/Sheahan

Thoughts?

That first one is absolutely brutal

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Just two proposals, nothing serious. I don't think an extended Staal for a package centered around someone like Brodie would be unreasonable. Swap out Smith for Wiercioch or Marincin. Like I said they're just ideas, not serious proposals

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'd have a very hard time envisioning Calgary moving Brodie. He's a hell of a player. Easily their best D-man behind Giordano and is only getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad