Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster building / proposal thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

So now with all the additions, what do we think our line up will be?

Mine:

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Miller-MSL
Stempniak-Brassard-Zucc
Glass-Moore-Lombardi
Lindberg

If/when Lombardi goes down with an injury, I think Lindberg gets his cup of coffee. Mueller on waivers.

McD-G
Staal-Boyle
Moore-Klein
Kotska

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So now with all the additions, what do we think our line up will be?

Mine:

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Miller-MSL
Stempniak-Brassard-Zucc
Glass-Moore-Lombardi
Lindberg

If/when Lombardi goes down with an injury, I think Lindberg gets his cup of coffee. Mueller on waivers.

McD-G
Staal-Boyle
Moore-Klein
Kotska

I think Mueller starts the year in Hartford. But I'd say that lineup is close. I see Fast being traded as part of a package for a center at the deadline bumping Miller down and/or to the wing in the bottom 6

BarbaraAlphanse

I think Mueller starts the year in Hartford. But I'd say that lineup is close. I see Fast being traded as part of a package for a center at the deadline bumping Miller down and/or to the wing in the bottom 6

I think Fast will be dealt, too.

Don't know which center we'd be after. Brassard @ 5 mill was a big mistake, imo.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I expect to see step with CL and MSL and I expect to see brass with Nash and Zucc

Would like to see miller centering hags and Stempniak

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Exactly. Ryan's speed and energy just isn't enough to plant him on this roster. Though Chris, Mueller, and Glass may have different aspects to their game that isn't the same as Ryan's, those aspects still place them ahead of what Ryan could bring. Him being able to play the PK is great and all but we already have enough guys that can do that instead of him. Nash, Zucc, Hagelin, Stempniak, Moore, and Stepan will all play the PK. Glass has experience playing the pk and I'm pretty sure Lombardi has in his career. Again I just don't see a fit for Ryan in this organization unfortunately. Had they not signed his brother, Mueller, and Glass maybe he had a shot. But they did and I;m ok with those additions.

I understand what you are saying, but Bourque is an elite PKer already. Why play Nash and MZA more than they need to play. That is the reason for lower line players. It helps distribute ice time over a long season. He has the speed and tenacity to cause turnovers and he drives to the net hard and is hard to contain with his low center of gravity.

Mueller and Chris Bourque are not similar players to Ryan. Ryan is similar in style to Callahan or Hagelin. Chris Bourque and Chris Mueller are not that type of player.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think Fast will be dealt, too.

Don't know which center we'd be after. Brassard @ 5 mill was a big mistake, imo.

I think Hagelin gets dealt. I don't think the Rangers see him as a super important cog. A team will like his speed and energy and PKing ability. Lots of playoff experience. Good 2-way player. RFA at years end. That's one of the few pieces the Rangers have that they could reasonably fill from within with someone like Fast for much less $$.

BarbaraAlphanse

I understand what you are saying, but Bourque is an elite PKer already. Why play Nash and MZA more than they need to play. That is the reason for lower line players. It helps distribute ice time over a long season. He has the speed and tenacity to cause turnovers and he drives to the net hard and is hard to contain with his low center of gravity.

Mueller and Chris Bourque are not similar players to Ryan. Ryan is similar in style to Callahan or Hagelin. Chris Bourque and Chris Mueller are not that type of player.

I can see the resemblance to Cally's playing style. That kind of stuck out to me a little bit when I went to HFD.

Thing is, Ryan isn't as good offensively as Cally was. He's smaller than Cally. He's got the heart, and on the PK he was invaluable... but he's got some things riding against him - namely his size and offensive ability.

Zuccarello Awesome*

I expect to see step with CL and MSL and I expect to see brass with Nash and Zucc

Would like to see miller centering hags and Stempniak

Finally, someone who gets it.

Tired of seeing Miller centering MSL on a "2nd line."

Kreider Stepan St. Louis
Nash Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller Stempniak
Glass Moore Lombardi

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Boyle
Moore Klein

Lundqvist
Talbot

This will be the opening night roster. Period.

Only differences would be if Lombardi gets beaten out for his spot, or Lindberg beats out Miller for the 3C spot.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I can see the resemblance to Cally's playing style. That kind of stuck out to me a little bit when I went to HFD.

Thing is, Ryan isn't as good offensively as Cally was. He's smaller than Cally. He's got the heart, and on the PK he was invaluable... but he's got some things riding against him - namely his size and offensive ability.

He won't ever be Ryan Callahan. At least I don't believe he will. However the guy just scored 20 goals in the AHL so he isn't THAT bad. He has a similar defensive hockey IQ to his game that's hard to teach. He knows where he needs to be and where to position himself and he wins puck battles even at his size.

If this was a year ago, I would agree with you. But after his last season where he was one of Hartford's go-to players and with his 2-way game, tenacity on the forecheck and overall speed, I wouldn't be surprised if AV likes him a lot and wants to plug him in. This team is going to win games based on their speed.

Imagine a Bourque-Moore-Lombardi 4th line. Talk about a fast line who will be a pain in the ass to play against.

Zuccarello Awesome*

I think Hagelin gets dealt. I don't think the Rangers see him as a super important cog. A team will like his speed and energy and PKing ability. Lots of playoff experience. Good 2-way player. RFA at years end. That's one of the few pieces the Rangers have that they could reasonably fill from within with someone like Fast for much less $$.

Hagelin's speed and consistent motor are far from easily replaced.

He's not as untouchable as McDonagh, but he is an important part of the core and he won't be dealt just to free up space. The only way he gets dealt is in a package for a high-end player.

BarbaraAlphanse

He won't ever be Ryan Callahan. At least I don't believe he will. However the guy just scored 20 goals in the AHL so he isn't THAT bad. He has a similar defensive hockey IQ to his game that's hard to teach. He knows where he needs to be and where to position himself and he wins puck battles even at his size.

If this was a year ago, I would agree with you. But after his last season where he was one of Hartford's go-to players and with his 2-way game, tenacity on the forecheck and overall speed, I wouldn't be surprised if AV likes him a lot and wants to plug him in. This team is going to win games based on their speed.

Imagine a Bourque-Moore-Lombardi 4th line. Talk about a fast line who will be a pain in the ass to play against.

And we'd be bullied yet again.

We got smaller than we were last year.

Replacing Poo with Stempniak. Boyle with Glass. Dorsett with Lombardi or Bourque.

Poo was one of our most physical guys. We're going to need a top 9 player with that same body type and physical mentality.

Taking out Glass in place of Bourque only makes it worse. Considering Glass was a top PKer for AV in Vancouver, I don't think that the trade-off between Bourque and Glass will be that big on the PK... but it will be big in terms of physicality and size.

I'm more interested in seeing Haggerty than Bourque. And I'm hopeful that McIlrath takes another step forward this year, as he has been for his last two.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
if it were up to me..

Kreider - Stepan - MSL
Stempniak - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Miller - Nash
Lombardi - Moore - Fasth

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com

Kreider Stepan St. Louis
Nash Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller Stempniak
Glass Moore Lombardi

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Boyle
Moore Klein

Lundqvist
Talbot

Only differences would be if Lombardi gets beaten out for his spot, or Lindberg beats out Miller for the 3C spot.

That third line looks awful. It'll be invisible for most part of the year

BarbaraAlphanse

Kreider Stepan St. Louis
Nash Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller Stempniak
Glass Moore Lombardi

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Boyle
Moore Klein

Lundqvist
Talbot

Don't understand how you can claim someone gets it when they're not the coach.

I had the same response last summer when I suggested Kreider should be on the first line with Nash and Stepan.

Use some rationale.

AV surrounds his rookies with veterans. He puts them in a position to succeed.

Last year, Miller was the 13th forward. Meaning, as much as AV would have probably liked to surround him with some established vets, he wasn't going to be on the starting team permanently unless someone important got injured.

He put J. Moore with Klein, Kreider with Nash, and now with an obvious place for Miller, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that he won't do the same with another one of our prospects that has a bright future.

Next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him put Skjei with Boyle or Staal. Etc.

AV has also stressed the importance of having 4 lines he can roll out. The 3rd line you assembled is not going to cut it.

That's not putting any of those players in a position to succeed... that's not putting the team in a position to succeed.

As with any team, the star players needs to step up and drive the success of a line. Meaning that Nash, MSL, and Zucc should all be capable of having their own lines and driving offense.

Distribute the talent, again. Put players in positions that they will succeed in. AV did this with Kreider, Hagelin, Poo, Boyle, and J.Moore last year. This year, he will have to do it with Miller, Lindberg/Lombardi, Stempniak, and Glass.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Don't understand how you can claim someone gets it when they're not the coach.

I had the same response last summer when I suggested Kreider should be on the first line with Nash and Stepan.

Use some rationale.

AV surrounds his rookies with veterans. He puts them in a position to succeed.

Last year, Miller was the 13th forward. Meaning, as much as AV would have probably liked to surround him with some established vets, he wasn't going to be on the starting team permanently unless someone important got injured.

He put J. Moore with Klein, Kreider with Nash, and now with an obvious place for Miller, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that he won't do the same with another one of our prospects that has a bright future.

Next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him put Skjei with Boyle or Staal. Etc.

AV has also stressed the importance of having 4 lines he can roll out. The 3rd line you assembled is not going to cut it.

That's not putting any of those players in a position to succeed... that's not putting the team in a position to succeed.

As with any team, the star players needs to step up and drive the success of a line. Meaning that Nash, MSL, and Zucc should all be capable of having their own lines and driving offense.

Distribute the talent, again. Put players in positions that they will succeed in. AV did this with Kreider, Hagelin, Poo, Boyle, and J.Moore last year. This year, he will have to do it with Miller, Lindberg/Lombardi, Stempniak, and Glass.

Very good post agree with this

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Miller and MSL need to be together. So when miller hits a bump MSL will be there to carry him

As long as your premise is that most speed with most speed = most complementary, it is clear w/o any doubt that Miller is the fastest C* and MSL the fastest RW, so they truly should be paired together. The 2 fastest LWs are Kreider and Hagelin. One of those 2 should be LW on this line. Probably Kreider, although if Hayes signs with us and is THAT good AND ready now, comfortable with Kreider, etc., then option on Miller C that line (he is big enough) or get Kreider and Hayes a big guy and use Miller on the speed line with Hags and Marty.

* assumes Hags not a fit at C, and ballpark fast guys at C we brought in like Lombardi are too 'lightweight' for top 6.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Miller made the team out of camp last season. Sather discussed Miller at the draft

So the roster will change, and in an endorsement of one prospect, the team's first-round draft pick in 2011, Sather said he expects "[J.T.] Miller to come and play this year. He probably would've played throughout the playoffs if he hadn't had the separated shoulder. He's going to develop into a very good hockey player. He had a lot of growth this year."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...ry-cap-could-change-face-of-rangers-1.8602721

Its time.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Can the team accommodate Staal's next contract ($6 m /y) if Miller takes 3C spot, MSL takes $0.5 m paycut and they replace roster spots for Hags, Stemp, Klein and Glass with Fast, Lindberg, Butch or Duke and Skjei, McI or Allen after this season?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Idk why people mention Hags being moved. If he is, it better be as a package for someone significant. His speed is integral to our team, he's a possession monster, opens up space for our other forwards, and I'd argue he's our best PKer, if not one of the best league wide.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
One some have wanted the Rangers to get:

Chris Johnston @reporterchris · 15m

Jake Gardiner has signed a $20.25M, five-year extension with the #leafs. Gives him a $4.05M AAV

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Brassard-Zuccarello
Stempniak-Miller-St.Louis
Glass-Moore-Fast

Thats some serious speed on the left side.

I like Hagelin as a Poo replacement. Not quite as big and physical, but he has an uncanny ability to find loose pucks and create space with his quickness. That line can kill you both off the rush and off the cycle.

I like the idea of limiting Marty's even strength minutes. Let him play with some young legs in Miller. Both will benefit from it.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

Kreider Stepan St. Louis
Nash Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Miller Stempniak
Glass Moore Lombardi

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Boyle
Moore Klein

Lundqvist
Talbot

Telling people they don't get it and you have Nash with Zucc.

Way to completley waste Zucc's playmaking ability.

Nash is good with the puck on his stick creating for himself. Zucc is better off playing on a line where he controls the puck and makes plays for his linemates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->