Line Combos: 2014-2015 Lineup

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know why people don't like Stuart.This is just my opinion but I would put Stuart ahead of Clitsome.Clitsome is good but Stuart has the size and he blocks a lot of shots.I like the fact that he can also drop the mits and stick up for someone.I like the way Stuart plays with an edge to his game.I do like Clitsome though just rather have Stuart if it's my decision.

Shot blocking is a mixed trait. It takes both skill and courage to do but it is often necessary because you failed to make the right play sooner to take away the opportunity to shoot. Stuart is taller, they weigh the same. Clitsome's possession stats are a little better and he has more offense and is better at getting the puck out of the D zone. There is not a huge difference between them. Neither is an ideal 2nd pair D but I think Clitsome is a little closer. Clitsome was playing 2nd pair before he was injured.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think if anyone could switch sides it would be trouba

Perhaps he could but I would prefer we allow him to flourish in the spot he is comfortable with. Kid is great but we need him to progress and moving Zach seemed to do a number on him early last season and I would hate to see that happen to Trouba.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He's had lots of time to recover. He may not be 100% but I'm assuming he is until shown otherwise. When Morrissey takes his spot everybody slides down. It is Stu who falls off first, that is still assuming Clitsome is fully recovered.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Morrissey makes it this year. He would play 3rd line minutes (or less) at first but they won't keep him to warm the bench. I see about 5-6 minutes/gm for 9 games then either a regular 3rd pair or back to junior. If he stays he is playing 2nd pair by January according to my crystal ball.

Don't see Clitsome forcing Stu out, tbh. I think Clitsome is the odd man out. We'll see.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Ladd - Little - Frolik
Byfuglien - Scheifele - Wheeler
Kane - Perreault - O'Dell
Tangradi - Slater - Galiardi

Thorburn - Klingberg

Bogosian - Trouba
Enstrom - Clitsome
Stuart - Postma

Pardy

Pavelec
Hutchinson

I believe the forward group is the same as Holden's. I obviously agreed with him and others.

I really don't care for the Enstrom - Bogosian pairing. I feel that it does not bring out the best in either one of them. Toby - Buff worked well, but Mo seems committed to having the big fella play up front. I know Bogo doesn't like playing on his off hand, but I wouldn't mind seeing the budding bromance form our top pairing. Give it a test run. It puts our two highest potential D-men together. Bogosian doesn't have to like playing his off hand to be effective. You can learn to like it. Plus, Bogosian appeared to do well with Ron Hainsey yelling at him. Of all the Jets D with any competency, I would trust Trouba the most to direct Zach's arse to where he needs to be if that is indeed the case. Pure speculation on my part.

I think Enstrom and Clitsome have some real interesting offesive potential if paired together. Clitsome playing with the Jets' most reliable and consistent D may well aid in keeping his game at the higher level that we have all witnessed him play at from time to time.

As far as the bottom pairing goes... They complement each other as neither can perform any of the hockey-related skills the other can do at any level of modest competency.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I could see Morrissey getting called up for a few games mid-way in the season, like Sven Baertschi did in 2011-12. But I say he's 50/50 making the team this year.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I could see Morrissey getting called up for a few games mid-way in the season, like Sven Baertschi did in 2011-12. But I say he's 50/50 making the team this year.

That (Baertschi) was an emergency call up due to excessive injuries. It's normally not allowed.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Don't see Clitsome forcing Stu out, tbh. I think Clitsome is the odd man out. We'll see.

Yeah, Stu blocks a lot of shots y'know and then there are the intangibles.

It wouldn't be Clitsome forcing Stu out so much as Morrissey forcing him out but as you say, we'll see.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ladd - Little - Frolik
Byfuglien - Scheifele - Wheeler
Kane - Perreault - O'Dell
Tangradi - Slater - Galiardi

Thorburn - Klingberg

Bogosian - Trouba
Enstrom - Clitsome
Stuart - Postma

Pardy

Pavelec
Hutchinson

I believe the forward group is the same as Holden's. I obviously agreed with him and others.

I really don't care for the Enstrom - Bogosian pairing. I feel that it does not bring out the best in either one of them. Toby - Buff worked well, but Mo seems committed to having the big fella play up front. I know Bogo doesn't like playing on his off hand, but I wouldn't mind seeing the budding bromance form our top pairing. Give it a test run. It puts our two highest potential D-men together. Bogosian doesn't have to like playing his off hand to be effective. You can learn to like it. Plus, Bogosian appeared to do well with Ron Hainsey yelling at him. Of all the Jets D with any competency, I would trust Trouba the most to direct Zach's arse to where he needs to be if that is indeed the case. Pure speculation on my part.

I think Enstrom and Clitsome have some real interesting offesive potential if paired together. Clitsome playing with the Jets' most reliable and consistent D may well aid in keeping his game at the higher level that we have all witnessed him play at from time to time.

As far as the bottom pairing goes... They complement each other as neither can perform any of the hockey-related skills the other can do at any level of modest competency.

I get your seasoning with the D but you now have both Bogo and Clitsome playing their off sides. Bogo doesn't like that. I don't know if Clitsome does it well or not but it seems like a risky move to me.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I think if anyone could switch sides it would be trouba

Perhaps he could but I would prefer we allow him to flourish in the spot he is comfortable with. Kid is great but we need him to progress and moving Zach seemed to do a number on him early last season and I would hate to see that happen to Trouba.

I am all for trying Trouba at LD and now is the time to do it. Gifted young athletes' bodies (and brains) are often very adaptable to change and there is a lot to be gained if the experiment works. If it fails, he can always go back to RHD.
Apparently the season is already written off so there is nothing to lose...:sarcasm:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Yeah, Stu blocks a lot of shots y'know and then there are the intangibles.

It wouldn't be Clitsome forcing Stu out so much as Morrissey forcing him out but as you say, we'll see.

I think Stu will be around longer than Clitsome. Stu will fill that bottom pairing role, and continue to mentor young draft picks like Troubs. IMO, Clitsome becomes moveable once Morrissey arrives.

Neither Stu or Clitsome are all that great, so it's not a big deal either way, but Stu will be here for most, if not all, his contract term, IMO. Clitsome, likely not.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Stu will be around longer than Clitsome. Stu will fill that bottom pairing role, and continue to mentor young draft picks like Troubs. IMO, Clitsome becomes moveable once Morrissey arrives.

Neither Stu or Clitsome are all that great, so it's not a big deal either way, but Stu will be here for most, if not all, his contract term, IMO. Clitsome, likely not.

I wouldn't bet against that. I think at some point (soon) it will (at least it should) depend on which of them gets a better trade offer.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I agree, only issue is then I think we would have to make a move for another forward.

As it stands, We're already looking at one of O'Dell, Galliardi, or Tangradi playing on the third line.. (Which isn't terrible). Take Buff away and now two of those guys are playing in the top 9.

I think Buff is more effective overall as a Dman. But he is also a serviceable forward. To me, our forward group starts to look thin if you take Buff out of the mix. Our D group still looks okay without him though, in my eyes anyway.

Another effective top 9 player added, and moving Buff to D makes us a much better team. I just don't see how we acquire one without moving our high regarded prospects or higher picks.

This.

I have typed and deleted a line-up with Buff on D for this thread about 3 times now :) It's an exercise in frustration.

I think he stays up front, just because we have a few better options on D without him than we do at forward without him.

I'm not as hung-up on the L/R thing as most people, so with Buff on D, I'd do this:

Enstrom-Buff
Trouba-Bogo
Stuart-Clitsome

With Buff up front, I'd do this:

Enstrom-Bogo
Stuart-Trouba
Clitsome-Postma

[edit] And with Morrissey....

Enstrom-Bogo
Morrissey-Trouba
Stuart-Clitsome

Flames101

Jul 31, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Long shot line up 2014-15 season

Ladd- Little- Frolik
Kane - Perreault- Wheeler ***
Ehlers - Sheif- Galiardi
Thor- Slater-o'dell
With Tangradi in the box
*** I believe Perreault was brought it to add extreme speed in the middle to match Kanes, so Kane doesnt go flying up the boards by himself

Enstrom-Bogo
Clitty -Trouba
Stuart-Buff

Pardy
Postma
so on so forth

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
I wouldn't bet against that. I think at some point (soon) it will (at least it should) depend on which of them gets a better trade offer.

I doubt we see any trade offers for either. At least not at this point in the season. Clitsome still has to prove he can play post injury. And Stu's contract .....

At the deadline if someone had a lot of injuries there is a chance.

JMO could force us to try though. Going to be an interesting preseason.

I hope mgmt is indeed set on icing the best roster possible. If JMO impresses in preseason, I hope they don't let the Clitsome/Stuart contracts get in the way. We could always expose someone to waivers if need be

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I doubt we see any trade offers for either. At least not at this point in the season. Clitsome still has to prove he can play post injury. And Stu's contract .....

At the deadline if someone had a lot of injuries there is a chance.

JMO could force us to try though. Going to be an interesting preseason.

I hope mgmt is indeed set on icing the best roster possible. If JMO impresses in preseason, I hope they don't let the Clitsome/Stuart contracts get in the way. We could always expose someone to waivers if need be

Yes. Don't rush Morrissey but keep him if he is ready. Once he starts taking a regular shift someone will have to go. It could be that either Stuart or Clitsome becomes the 7th D or they get shopped. Of course there will be injuries too (not too many I hope). But I am assuming that Clitsome & Stuart have some trade value. Why would Chevy have given them such big contracts if no one else wanted them? :)

MadMen88

Oct 19, 2011
Yes. Don't rush Morrissey but keep him if he is ready. Once he starts taking a regular shift someone will have to go. It could be that either Stuart or Clitsome becomes the 7th D or they get shopped. Of course there will be injuries too (not too many I hope). But I am assuming that Clitsome & Stuart have some trade value. Why would Chevy have given them such big contracts if no one else wanted them? :)

Mark Stuart is a gem back there as you're 5th dman. He's definitely someone I can see stepping into a position in front office.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This.

I have typed and deleted a line-up with Buff on D for this thread about 3 times now :) It's an exercise in frustration.

I think he stays up front, just because we have a few better options on D without him than we do at forward without him.

I'm not as hung-up on the L/R thing as most people, so with Buff on D, I'd do this:

Enstrom-Buff
Trouba-Bogo
Stuart-Clitsome

With Buff up front, I'd do this:

Enstrom-Bogo
Stuart-Trouba
Clitsome-Postma

[edit] And with Morrissey....

Enstrom-Bogo
Morrissey-Trouba
Stuart-Clitsome

I think you have to start the year with Stuart-Trouba on defense because it worked well last year, and I think the onus is to build on positives. Stuart's game is not glorious, it will not win you awards, but you have to respect those guys who go to the trenches, battle for position for your goalie, and take a few pucks to give him a chance. It's the grunt work on defense. What I find I positive about the pairing is that Trouba plays with an edge, with Stu, maybe because of how tough Stuart is. Enstrom-Trouba is good tandem under some circumstances because they are both very aware on the ice. Stuart has to be ahead of Clitsome on the defensive depth chart. Clitsome's penchant for the big body check in the neutral zone gets him in trouble. I think Postma deserves a legitimate look, which playing Byfuglien on forwards provides. In the games I saw last year he look very crisp with his first passes, he skates well, and his shot is a weapon. Pardy is a tweener, which means Morrissey, if he progresses from last year should get a tryout, to be a Dougie Hamilton for us.

How do you rate the Jets depth chart on defense?

For me it's

1. Enstrom
2. Trouba
3. Bogosian
4. Morrissey*
5. Stuart
6. Postma
7. Clitsome
8. Pardy
9. Ellerby
10. Kichton
11. Chiarot
12. ?

With Byfuglien
1. Enstrom
2. Byfuglien
3. Trouba
etc...

I think defensively St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, and Nashville are all superior in terms of talent, Colorado may have more depth, so it would not surprise to see Morrissey or Buff get chances to earn a spot.

Mukulakivi

Aug 10, 2014
Hi, new writer here so sorry if i do something wrong :D

Dont know why here is so many stuart haters he is good leader and good stay home D.
But i would break up ladd and little cos dont see ladd as top 3 guy. So my lines are

Kane Little Frolik (K and F had good chemistry start of last season and would bring better Defence to line)

Ladd Sheiff Wheeler ( ladd would bring leadership on the line and some grit)

TJ Perreault Buff (this line would be nice gritt line and still have scoring power)

O'dell Slater Tang

Enstrom Trouba (this pair would give enstrom have more scoring
Clitsome Bogo
Stuart Postma
(Ellerby Pardy)

What comes to ehlers he is too small to our division atleast and there is no reason why we would need bring him to nhl to maybe hurt bad. Morrisey we could bring if he is ready sure looks like it but maybe one season in minors could be good also size wise.

Last edited:

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
How do you rate the Jets depth chart on defense?

For me it's

1. Enstrom
2. Trouba
3. Bogosian
4. Morrissey*
5. Stuart
6. Postma
7. Clitsome
8. Pardy
9. Ellerby
10. Kichton
11. Chiarot
12. ?

With Byfuglien
1. Enstrom
2. Byfuglien
3. Trouba
etc...

I'd swap Postma and Clitsome on that list, but it's not like it's a huge difference.

I don't think Morrissey should stick unless he's ready to be the #4, but the tendency is to bring young guys in gradually. So I could see...

Enstrom-Bogo
Stuart-Trouba
Morrissey-Clitsome/Postma

...at least to start the season. He will probably get the 9 game tryout if he has a good camp.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
How i see our lineup shaking out, and needing to shake out.
First, the forwards.

Ladd - Little - Frolik*
Kane - Perrault - O'dell*
Byfuglien* - Schiefele - Wheeler
Tangradi - Slater - Galliardi

Thorburn
Klingberg

The top 3 lines Share ice time and are built around Center and Wing pairs. The players marked with asterisks are essentially the movable options. they can shuffle between lines depending on how/what pomo wants each line to do.

Ladd little Frolik - Ideally LLF stay together as the tough minutes pairs. They take your toughest comp night in night out and will keep scoring.

Kane Perrault and FriendsKane and Perrault take slightly easier quality of comp, with either O'dell, Galliardi, Tango, or possibly even Klingberg or another prospect riding on the RW.

Byfuglien Schiefele and Wheeler Schiefele and Wheeler take the easiest zone starts and lowest QoC of the three. Neither Schiefe Nor Wheels is great at driving the play, so who plays with them is important. I'll start with Buff, but if Buff can ride RW i could see him getting switched and Frolik coming in on the LW. In any case, their needs to be someone who drives the play better then Schiefele and Wheeler filling the LW slot. The only player of the "fringe" top 9 (o'dell, galiardi, tangradi, klingberg) that rides in this spot IMO could be Tangradi due to his being a bit of a poormans Burmi.

The other guys - Ideally i'd like to see Slater center some combination of Tangradi, Galliardi, O'dell, and Klingberg. Most likely though we see one of these four with Slater and Thorburn. My hope is that some combination of these four players pushes Peluso and Halischuk onto waivers.

Now for the defense:

I was pissed at our D projections until this last week. Hearing that JoMo's at 193lbs and looking at Extra skater, seeing his AHL playoff run, i'm getting pretty sold on him being reading to step in as a top 4 dman at camp. In that case i see 2 possibilities.

Enstrom Trouba
Jomo Bogo
Clitsome Postma

Stuart
Pardy

Enstrom Trouba- I know we've seen Enstrom Bogo but i don't like it. Hopefully Trouba can keep up that development to being a top dman and can grow alongside toby. He plays a bit wreckless like Buff so i could see this pairing really working. Trouba's already been eating minutes like crazy.

Jomo Bogo-
this is if Josh morrisey makes the team. if so, i could see this pairing working out really nicely as well. Bogo might be a little more inclined to "take a walk" playing alongside a rookie then constantly differing to Enstrom (which makes bogo not so good). I also just can't see PM pairing Jomo with Trouba.

Clitsome Postma- Clitsome was his best when playing with Byfuglien. There's a good chance it was just Byfuglien making him look good, but who knows, it might be a mesh in styles of play. Since postma is more of wide open dman as well, i could see clitsome and postma making a very good soft minutes d-pair.

Stuart: this is the ideal situation. Unfortunately, we all know Stuart will get in the lineup more often then not. i don't mind him on the third pairing with either Clitsome or Postma. I just really don't want him to ever be above that.

The No Jo Mo D list

Enstrom Bogosian
Clitsome Trouba
Stuart Postma
Pardy

Clitsome and Enstrom could switch. Either way i don't like this nearly as much, but again, as long as clitsome's playing with someone who can really run with the puck we could see na improvement. I think either trouba or bogo could do that with Clitsome as their partner. I actually wouldn't be suprised to see bogosian perform better with clitsome then he does with enstrom, again as it would keep him from "deffering" all the time and probably let him "play his game".

that's sort of how i see it breaking down anyways. How I would do it, being the expert tactitian and NHL calibre coach that I am...

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How i see our lineup shaking out, and needing to shake out.
First, the forwards.

Ladd - Little - Frolik*
Kane - Perrault - O'dell*
Byfuglien* - Schiefele - Wheeler
Tangradi - Slater - Galliardi

Thorburn
Klingberg

The top 3 lines Share ice time and are built around Center and Wing pairs. The players marked with asterisks are essentially the movable options. they can shuffle between lines depending on how/what pomo wants each line to do.

Ladd little Frolik - Ideally LLF stay together as the tough minutes pairs. They take your toughest comp night in night out and will keep scoring.

Kane Perrault and FriendsKane and Perrault take slightly easier quality of comp, with either O'dell, Galliardi, Tango, or possibly even Klingberg or another prospect riding on the RW.

Byfuglien Schiefele and Wheeler Schiefele and Wheeler take the easiest zone starts and lowest QoC of the three. Neither Schiefe Nor Wheels is great at driving the play, so who plays with them is important. I'll start with Buff, but if Buff can ride RW i could see him getting switched and Frolik coming in on the LW. In any case, their needs to be someone who drives the play better then Schiefele and Wheeler filling the LW slot. The only player of the "fringe" top 9 (o'dell, galiardi, tangradi, klingberg) that rides in this spot IMO could be Tangradi due to his being a bit of a poormans Burmi.

The other guys - Ideally i'd like to see Slater center some combination of Tangradi, Galliardi, O'dell, and Klingberg. Most likely though we see one of these four with Slater and Thorburn. My hope is that some combination of these four players pushes Peluso and Halischuk onto waivers.

Now for the defense:

I was pissed at our D projections until this last week. Hearing that JoMo's at 193lbs and looking at Extra skater, seeing his AHL playoff run, i'm getting pretty sold on him being reading to step in as a top 4 dman at camp. In that case i see 2 possibilities.

Enstrom Trouba
Jomo Bogo
Clitsome Postma

Stuart
Pardy

Enstrom Trouba- I know we've seen Enstrom Bogo but i don't like it. Hopefully Trouba can keep up that development to being a top dman and can grow alongside toby. He plays a bit wreckless like Buff so i could see this pairing really working. Trouba's already been eating minutes like crazy.

Jomo Bogo-
this is if Josh morrisey makes the team. if so, i could see this pairing working out really nicely as well. Bogo might be a little more inclined to "take a walk" playing alongside a rookie then constantly differing to Enstrom (which makes bogo not so good). I also just can't see PM pairing Jomo with Trouba.

Clitsome Postma- Clitsome was his best when playing with Byfuglien. There's a good chance it was just Byfuglien making him look good, but who knows, it might be a mesh in styles of play. Since postma is more of wide open dman as well, i could see clitsome and postma making a very good soft minutes d-pair.

Stuart: this is the ideal situation. Unfortunately, we all know Stuart will get in the lineup more often then not. i don't mind him on the third pairing with either Clitsome or Postma. I just really don't want him to ever be above that.

The No Jo Mo D list

Enstrom Bogosian
Clitsome Trouba
Stuart Postma
Pardy

Clitsome and Enstrom could switch. Either way i don't like this nearly as much, but again, as long as clitsome's playing with someone who can really run with the puck we could see na improvement. I think either trouba or bogo could do that with Clitsome as their partner. I actually wouldn't be suprised to see bogosian perform better with clitsome then he does with enstrom, again as it would keep him from "deffering" all the time and probably let him "play his game".

that's sort of how i see it breaking down anyways. How I would do it, being the expert tactitian and NHL calibre coach that I am...

As close as don't matter to fully agree. I am more and more convinced that Morrissey is ready. I will be quite disappointed if he is sent to PA. I think that at least initially he will have to play 3rd pair. No way I can predict how long that would apply but I'll say at least 20 games, maybe more. Move him up to 2nd pair as soon as he is able.

I actually quite like that lineup. It isn't perfect and of course it could be better but just for fun imagine playing a 7 game playoff series against Montreal (or pick another team with top tier goaltending). Swap Price and Pavelec. Who wins? I think we do. This is not a bad team except for 'you know who'.

NBjet

May 24, 2014
Hi, new writer here so sorry if i do something wrong :D

Dont know why here is so many stuart haters he is good leader and good stay home D.
But i would break up ladd and little cos dont see ladd as top 3 guy. So my lines are

Kane Little Frolik (K and F had good chemistry start of last season and would bring better Defence to line)

Ladd Sheiff Wheeler ( ladd would bring leadership on the line and some grit)

TJ Perreault Buff (this line would be nice gritt line and still have scoring power)

O'dell Slater Tang

Enstrom Trouba (this pair would give enstrom have more scoring
Clitsome Bogo
Stuart Postma
(Ellerby Pardy)

What comes to ehlers he is too small to our division atleast and there is no reason why we would need bring him to nhl to maybe hurt bad. Morrisey we could bring if he is ready sure looks like it but maybe one season in minors could be good also size wise.

Greetings... A new poster with perhaps a fresh perspective! I really haven't thought about swapping Ladd and Kane before, but it could have some merit. Ladd has arguably the best wrist shot of any Jet, and Scheif might be the perfect setup man for him. And it would be interesting to see Kane on the top line with Little and Fro... Would be a good combination of offensive with defensive capabilities. Food for thought...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad